C220 CDI Boost Pressure Error

thespirit3

Reaction score
Website
www.aruk.org.uk
Quick question. A few months back I had random 'loss of power/turbo' symptoms. Several on these forums suggested the MAF sensor. As it didn't happen again I never got it checked out, until a dealer service last week, when I mentioned it and got it checked out.

Apparently the computer logged a 'boost pressure system' error. They'd checked everything out and could not find a problem. As it's only happened twice since I've had it (6 months?) they asked me to monitor - and let them know if it happens again.

Yesterday it did. So, it's back in there again today.

Apparently 'boost pressure system error' may not be anything to do with the MAF, and they're investigating it thoroughly today.

Question is:- Is this still likely to be the MAF? Luckily it's all under warranty ... but I hope this isn't going to be a long drawn-out "don't know what it is - keep taking it away and let us know if it continues" exercise.

Symptoms are: loss of power, as if turbo fails (foot to floor and no acceleration). Turn off ignition, restart 5 mins later and back to normal. No warning lights or 'malfunction' displayed on the dash. The only fault logged had to be read via an error-code-reader.

Any ideas?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
There is a solenoid valve, (Merc call it a pressure control device, I believe), it has 3 pipes, an electrical connection, and a small open filter on the bottom. There are two, but the one connected to the turbo is likely to be faulty. They play up intermittantly, and cause this fault code. (the other one is connected to the EGR valve).

Swap the two valves over and see if the fault recurs with an EGR fault recorded. This will either incriminate or eliminate the valve from your enquiries.

type49

Reaction score
There is a solenoid valve, (Merc call it a pressure control device, I believe), it has 3 pipes, an electrical connection, and a small open filter on the bottom. There are two, but the one connected to the turbo is likely to be faulty. They play up intermittantly, and cause this fault code. (the other one is connected to the EGR valve).

Swap the two valves over and see if the fault recurs with an EGR fault recorded. This will either incriminate or eliminate the valve from your enquiries.

Yes, Ive had problems with these as well. Also the turbo actuator plays up, this is part of the turbo & not bought separately.

Haltonboy

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 D 2004
Hi I have just joined the organisation and following on from your discussion i have 2004 e220 and had loss power, the scan identified the pressure transducer, now this seems strange I can not locate it? any clues Thanks

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.
Hi I have just joined the organisation and following on from your discussion i have 2004 e220 and had loss power, the scan identified the pressure transducer, now this seems strange I can not locate it? any clues Thanks
Pressure Transducer Solenoid Valve Turbocharger this is located on the top front of the engine on a C220 CDI but I've provided a photo so you know what to look for.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 165

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.
Quick question. A few months back I had random 'loss of power/turbo' symptoms. Several on these forums suggested the MAF sensor. As it didn't happen again I never got it checked out, until a dealer service last week, when I mentioned it and got it checked out.

Apparently the computer logged a 'boost pressure system' error. They'd checked everything out and could not find a problem. As it's only happened twice since I've had it (6 months?) they asked me to monitor - and let them know if it happens again.

Apparently 'boost pressure system error' may not be anything to do with the MAF, and they're investigating it thoroughly today.

Question is:- Is this still likely to be the MAF? Luckily it's all under warranty ... but I hope this isn't going to be a long drawn-out "don't know what it is - keep taking it away and let us know if it continues" exercise.

Symptoms are: loss of power, as if turbo fails (foot to floor and no acceleration). Turn off ignition, restart 5 mins later and back to normal. No warning lights or 'malfunction' displayed on the dash. The only fault logged had to be read via an error-code-reader.

Any ideas?
I've got the same issue at the moment with my 2011 C220 CDI W204 model but what happens with me is when I first drive from a cold start I'm getting the same as you but then the Turbo kicks in and it then runs fine. I've changed both the MAF and air pressure sensor but the problem is still there so it's nothing to do with either of these. I'm not getting any fault codes or lights on the dash so it's a really odd issue and becoming very difficult fault to trace as no indication as to what might be causing it. I've also just had an Engine Carbon Clean done on the car and although a lot better the issue is still there. Again I've checked for error codes and messages but nothing recorded. So I'm also still in the dark as to what's causing this problem. All I've been told is it's a common problem but don't know if that's with other models also. The whole thing is now becoming a real pain but this problem started out of the blue one day all was working fine the next day had the fault and have had it ever since. But in my case, it only seems to happen when I first start out but as I said then starts working as normal and remains good after that. So like you I am now at a complete loss as to what's going on and what's causing it? However, I'm convinced that this has something to do with crap in the system somewhere as no electrical or mechanical faults being recorded. My car has done 118k only had the car two years but I do admit I do only do short journeys local due to the COVID issues so the car is not getting the long motorway runs it should be getting at the moment so it might be related to this who knows it's just one of those things. But this Carbon Clean could take about a week before I get the best results and if this fault does clear I'll let everyone know.

Last edited:

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.

Any ideas?
I've got the same issue at the moment with my 2011 C220 CDI W204 model but what happens with me is when I first drive from a cold start I'm getting the same as you but then the Turbo kicks in and it then runs fine. I've changed both the MAF and air pressure sensor but the problem is still there so it's nothing to do with either of these. I'm not getting any fault codes or lights on the dash so it's a really odd issue and becoming very difficult fault to trace as no indication as to what might be causing it. I've also just had an Engine Carbon Clean done on the car and although a lot better the issue is still there. Again I've checked for error codes and messages but nothing recorded. So I'm also still in the dark as to what's causing this problem. All I've been told is it's a common problem but don't know if that's with other models also. The whole thing is now becoming a real pain but this problem started out of the blue one day all was working fine the next day had the fault and have had it ever since. But in my case, it only seems to happen when I first start out but as I said then starts working as normal and remains good after that. So like you I am now at a complete loss as to what's going on and what's causing it? However, I'm convinced that this has something to do with crap in the system somewhere as no electrical or mechanical faults being recorded. My car has done 118k only had the car two years but I do admit I do only do short journeys local due to the COVID issues so the car is not getting the long motorway runs it should be getting at the moment so it might be related to this who knows it's just one of those things. But this Carbon Clean could take about a week before I get the best results and if this fault does clear I'll let everyone know.

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Guessing is costing you a lot of money, get a proper diagnosis on a Star machine. Generic code readers can send you up the wrong path.

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.
Pressure Transducer Solenoid Valve Turbocharger this is located on the top front of the engine on a C220 CDI but I've provided a photo so you know what to look for.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    127 KB · Views: 96
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 81

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.
Guessing is costing you a lot of money, get a proper diagnosis on a Star machine. Generic code readers can send you up the wrong path.
The chap who was doing the diagnostics on my car was using the MaxiSys MS906 so this would have found any error codes if they were there. I also used my own which is Mercedes pacific and again has found no error codes or messages. Myself in my case I still believe it's related to either Carbon or oil-related causing something to stick but after having the clean done the car does run a 100% better than before and my issue is not as bad as before so something has got better but a week of running the car I hope will clear the problem. But I'm not convinced that it's either electrical or mechanical related at this point but more something is sticking and then releasing allowing it to run as normal. But when the car is running as normal it's running great if not better.

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.
Yes, Ive had problems with these as well. Also the turbo actuator plays up, this is part of the turbo & not bought separately.

This is the layout diagram of where this item is located for anyone who might be interested you can see there are two of them one for the Turbo item (10) and one for the EGR item (20). I know this is an old post regarding this subject but may help those in the future who may get this problem hope this helps some of you out.

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    22 KB · Views: 237

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The chap who was doing the diagnostics on my car was using the MaxiSys MS906 so this would have found any error codes if they were there. I also used my own which is Mercedes pacific and again has found no error codes or messages. Myself in my case I still believe it's related to either Carbon or oil-related causing something to stick but after having the clean done the car does run a 100% better than before and my issue is not as bad as before so something has got better but a week of running the car I hope will clear the problem. But I'm not convinced that it's either electrical or mechanical related at this point but more something is sticking and then releasing allowing it to run as normal. But when the car is running as normal it's running great if not better.

We won’t take diagnostic Test results from other non mb bits of kit, reasons as stated above. Then there a question about product knowledge, ie knowing mercs, where to look and common faults even if a fault isn’t logged.

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.
We won’t take diagnostic Test results from other non mb bits of kit, reasons as stated above. Then there a question about product knowledge, ie knowing mercs, where to look and common faults even if a fault isn’t logged.

Point taken but after looking into this further I think I've pinpointed the fault to be the OM651 Engine Turbocharger Pressure solenoid Transducer part A0091533128. Yesterday I removed the vacuum pipes and sprayed WD40 down the ports as I said I believed the issue was down to Carbon build-up wear and the plunger sticking. I then went out in the car last night and the car drove perfect no power issues at all. I've been out again this morning and again no further issues and the car has never done this over the last six months with this problem so I believe I've found the culprit. I think it's just a case of the plunger was sticking and this has now freed it up but just to be safe I've ordered a new one from Mercedes £62.50 and I'm now convinced 100% that this was the cause of the problems from the outset. But when I've changed it over and get no further issues then I think that will confirm what I'm suggesting is correct and will let everyone know my results over the coming weeks. If it is this at least those with the same issue can now start looking at this item, to begin with, and when you think about it it does make sense that this item can be a problem being part of the Turbo system. As someone else said they can be troublesome and as they wear inside the Carbon inside will at some point give you sticking issues of the solenoid as I've worked with these devices for over 40 years and I know on other machines they do give issues of this kind when they start to wear out.
Anyway, time will tell if I'm right or not.

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.

For my part, no guessing involved I found the fault to be the Engine Turbocharger Pressure Transducer and now sorted and the car now runs as it should so the problem now solved after a bit of WD40 down the ports to free the sticking solenoid but have ordered a brand new one to make sure the fault doesn't return.

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.
If this is what you refer to I've also already got it on one of my laptops.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 99

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If this is what you refer to I've also already got it on one of my laptops.
If you have that, why go to a garage for them to diagnose?

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.
If you have that, why go to a garage for them to diagnose?
I never went to a garage I had a company called Engine Carbon Clean (Mobile) come to me and part of the service they do is to Diagnose any issues prior so nothing I asked for just something they do so I think we both are getting very mixed up with what my first post was about, to begin with?. The issue with this valve never came up I've found that myself and as a retired Engineer with 40 years under my belt I'm more than capable of working out problems in a logical way it's not Rocket Science after all. I was just having an engine clean done by this lot and carried out at my home so never made any visits to any garage and as I said the Diagnostics side was part of what they carried out. I've got this software you've got on one of my laptops as well and as other OBD2 items available to me I can use if I need them but don't use that much but relating to the power loss issue which is what I first was posting about was my main point and nothing to do with what you were referring to in your own posts so I don't see what the deal is? I was just trying to help others who were getting the same issues as myself and trying to help solve the problems in the process. If ever I do get stuck with anything I can't sort I've got a good mate and Mechanic called Ollie who owns and runs D Bank Motors in Arborfield you might know him? But he's the one I go to if I ever get stuck or need anything doing other than what I can sort myself so I hope all is now clear?. Anyway as I've said I've found the cause of the issues I had sorted it and now awaiting the new part to replace it with and as such hope, this helps others who may get the same problems in the future as something to check out before going out and paying out loads of money to get it sorted by someone else that's all. So I hope this now clears up any misunderstandings as I don't wish to get into any sort of tit for tat issue so my last word on the matter.

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.
There is a solenoid valve, (Merc call it a pressure control device, I believe), it has 3 pipes, an electrical connection, and a small open filter on the bottom. There are two, but the one connected to the turbo is likely to be faulty. They play up intermittently and cause this fault code. (the other one is connected to the EGR valve).

Yep, you are correct in my case I found that putting a bit of WD40 down the vacuum ports of the solenoid freed it up as it was sticking and the car now runs perfectly. However, as the valve is old and clearly worn out I've since replaced it with a brand new original part at £62.50 and the car is now back to fully functional condition. Hope this information helps others who may run into the same issues in the future and look at this valve first may well save a lot of hard work and costs in the process.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 117
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    22 KB · Views: 111

MrTash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi W204 2011.

Any ideas?
I'll bet it's the Pressure Transducer Solenoid Valve Turbocharger this is located on the top front of the engine on a C220 CDI. This is what you are looking for.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 59

MHModiba19

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C220 CDI
I'll bet it's the Pressure Transducer Solenoid Valve Turbocharger this is located on the top front of the engine on a C220 CDI. This is what you are looking for.
Hi Would this be the same issue on a 646engine?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom