CL500, CL63 and others......decisions, decisions

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CL600 / 2007 / 5.5 litre
You're right Malcolm, there aren't as many black as silver, which given the car I tested at the weekend, and given the feedback here to date, it makes me wonder whether I should go for it. It's a CL63 with pretty much the same specification as yours, but is a CL63. The downside is the 77k miles on it, and an independent forecourt garage that hasn't got a long history. I could cover both angles by an RAC inspection and after the 6 month warranty expires buy myself a separate warranty for peace of mind. There's just something that's telling me to hold on for a lower mileage motor! If it had 50k on the clock then I'd be posting photo's of my new car on here now! ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It's a beautiful looking car Malcolm, and looks well cared for inside and out. Black leather and dark trim as wanted, but was hoping for black paint. :( Life is full of compromise though, so perhaps if our timings line up, you find an SL, I haven't found the black CL with specification/mileage/price that I'm looking for then who know's, we could end up shaking hands. I'll hope for more posts off others here in terms of CL500/CL63 experiences, so let's keep in touch here in terms of any movement in the market by either of us!

black is a beggar to keep TBH, I will be having a silver variant next time!

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You're totally right John, black cars are a nightmare to keep. Call me sad though, but I love cleaning my cars. So I'd have no qualms to be spending every Sunday with the bucket and sponge cleaning a black CL and making sure it's streak free! ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You're totally right John, black cars are a nightmare to keep. Call me sad though, but I love cleaning my cars. So I'd have no qualms to be spending every Sunday with the bucket and sponge cleaning a black CL and making sure it's streak free! ;)

fair enough! I have 3 x small kids so the joys of car care are lost on me now! hope you find what you're looking for soon

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks John. Do I take it therefore that you have a black CL? Which model? What are your experiences of the car? Reliability, performance, etc.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I know Malcolm (Television) very well and I can assure you that his cars are looked after with no expense spared.
Any car bought from him will be as good as it gets.. So buy with confidence..
He is also a very nice guy all round..

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks John. Do I take it therefore that you have a black CL? Which model? What are your experiences of the car? Reliability, performance, etc.

sadly no, I have a workhorse E300 Hybrid, I can only dream of such impracticalities at the moment...give me another year or so though, Malcolm has been getting me twitchy looking at SL600's!!

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here's me thinking that the three children and the referenced "impracticalities" are linked........and then you refer to a possible SL600........I like your style John! :)

the director

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 R 350 Grand Edition; 2015 S 350
I've got three kids also, which meant that I had to fork out on an R class for the missus in order to lever in the CL!

You don't want black or silver.....you want grey:

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's another fine looking motor Director, and along with white probably the rarest colour.

The CL can't fail to look impressive whatever colour it is. Also executive, sporty, muscly and sleek all in one. I'm not sure there's another motor on the market that can pull that one off!

BernardB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600 (W216) 2006
It's not just the cleaning, any stone chips on a black car remain glaringly obvious even after you've touched them in.

The Director is right - grey is the best colour. It's also the most forgiving in respect of dirt and stone chips. Unfortunately it's also one of the rarest CL colours.

Tip for streak-free cleaning: if you have a source of rainwater like a water butt, use the water from that. No streaks or spotting even in bright sunshine.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It's not just the cleaning, any stone chips on a black car remain glaringly obvious even after you've touched them in.

The Director is right - grey is the best colour. It's also the most forgiving in respect of dirt and stone chips. Unfortunately it's also one of the rarest CL colours.

Tip for streak-free cleaning: if you have a source of rainwater like a water butt, use the water from that. No streaks or spotting even in bright sunshine.

presume yours is grey Bernard? any nice piccies, awesome car...

BernardB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600 (W216) 2006
No it's black (hence the heartfelt comment!). Would have bought a grey one if I could have found one, but grey CL600s are like the proverbial hen's teeth.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
No it's black (hence the heartfelt comment!). Would have bought a grey one if I could have found one, but grey CL600s are like the proverbial hen's teeth.

How have you found your 600 Bernard, I am thinking of one, about 2008/9

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the director has the best colour CL600 of all :D:D

BernardB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600 (W216) 2006
How have you found your 600 Bernard, I am thinking of one, about 2008/9
Well, it's a 2004 W215 (I prefer the shape to the 216 - very subjective I know). I've had it about a year and am still entranced every time I get into it. Certainly in my view the most elegant car I have ever owned, and poodling around with all the windows rolled down is pure bliss. And so quiet! It really is like a magic carpet.

No mechanical issues to date. The biggest problem was the delamination of the side windows (permanent water spotting along the edges). I have had them replaced - at vast expense admittedly, but I think the car's worth it.

OP
M

mpwnbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Top Bottom