Engine Oil Extraction via dipstick tube ?

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
Will this pump be good enough for OM651?

Pela 6000

I know it has only 6L capacity but I will drain it eventually. I keep my oil intervals every 10 000km/7000miles.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Will this pump be good enough for OM651?

Pela 6000

I know it has only 6L capacity but I will drain it eventually. I keep my oil intervals every 10 000km/7000miles.
It's probably the best value , long lasting pump out there . I've had mine a few years now for my E class and Clk

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
I might get it so I will not have to bother to ask my friend to use the lift for the oil change :) The other thing that I was surprised of was a plastic sump on my OM651 :eek:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
You might be amused by some Smart Car oil and filter change procedures.

I've seen some done by removing the oil filter and running the engine till no flow from the filter then refilling the oil and replacing the filter and called standard procedure

Time to walk away.
The mind boggles...…...:(:(:eek::eek::shock:o_Oo_O:alien:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
People on here love the Pela. I make do with a Lidl special.
Draper's finest 10ltr, use by hand (if you want the exercise ) or hooked up to the compressor. Days of lying down underneath the car are finished !!! Thank God..

Attachments

• Draper Oil Pump IMAG6384[938].jpg
    Draper Oil Pump IMAG6384[938].jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 14

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
So you are saying they drain the old oil out using the engine oil pump?
Definitely time to walk away from that garage. :(

I guess they can also save a bit more time, by running it until it stalls; hey then you dont even have to bother walking around to switch the engine off. :(

The early Smart Cars didn't have a drain plug fitted.

A few garages I visit on mobile diagnostic work didn't/don't have an oil vacuum or suction tool
and I've observed them using the running drain method.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
My experience is that the suction method gets all but a tablespoon's worth out, compared with using the drain plug.

Obviously, this will depend on the design of the sump, but that's close enough for me.

The engine would need to have been running shortly before sucking to make sure the suspended particles are still in suspension, and to speed-up the sucking process. Handling the oil needs a bit of care if the engine was VERY hot though...

When I buy a new-to-me car, I always change the oil with the sump plug method just once, (to confirm that I'm not leaving large amounts of dirty oil in there when using the sucking method), but mainly to change to a magnetic drain plug.

For about £4 on Ebay, they really are a no-brainer if you want to look after the long-term health of your precious engine.

Do the same with the Differentials drain plugs whilst you're at it, and give yourself a good night's sleep..

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My experience is that the suction method gets all but a tablespoon's worth out, compared with using the drain plug.

Obviously, this will depend on the design of the sump, but that's close enough for me.

The engine would need to have been running shortly before sucking to make sure the suspended particles are still in suspension, and to speed-up the sucking process. Handling the oil needs a bit of care if the engine was VERY hot though...

When I buy a new-to-me car, I always change the oil with the sump plug method just once, (to confirm that I'm not leaving large amounts of dirty oil in there when using the sucking method), but mainly to change to a magnetic drain plug.

For about £4 on Ebay, they really are a no-brainer if you want to look after the long-term health of your precious engine.

Do the same with the Differentials drain plugs whilst you're at it, and give yourself a good night's sleep..
Have you got an eBay link for the drain plugs ? I can't find either with my searches :( ....Thanks

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The early Smart Cars didn't have a drain plug fitted.

A few garages I visit on mobile diagnostic work didn't/don't have an oil vacuum or suction tool
and I've observed them using the running drain method.

Hmmm
These garages cant afford £40 for a Pela pump? But still take on that job.
Makes you wonder if they bother buy £00s torque wrenches?

Just thinking aloud.
I would hope the oil intake is a fair bit above the bottom of the sump, to generally avoid the dregs.
So it would leave the dirtiest oil behind.
As the oil pump gradually lowers the oil level .... there would be a reduced crank splash lubrication up the bores.
And then they either run the pump until the bearings run dry. Or stop short and leave even more dirty oil in there. :(:(:(

An oil change with those guys might be more harmful than just skipping the service.

Personally I would rather pay a main dealer, who did it properly!

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is the one for my W164.

Just search for "Magnetic Sump Plug" to find others (and tick the box for "UK Only" or you'll be waiting 6 weeks for it!

If you're not sure it''s the right thread, buy the next size up as well, to save you waiting around for another delivery...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES...642381?hash=item4640216a0d:g:zSYAAOSwqYdZgxsU
Thanks for that , I know why I couldn't find anything , I was searching on eBay , but within a single sellers shop who only had one item for sale , and it kept coming up 0 searches .....Doh !! :oops:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom