Insurance

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Brokers are useful if you have a remapped or modified car and find getting insurance difficult. They can usually find a deal somewhere.
But its pretty obvious brokers can't compete when you take their commission into account.
Not that long ago brokers were the only place to get your insurance. Along came the internet.
30 years ago I only used brokers for insurance and they were good - particularly when dealing with claims (I’d hand all the details over to my guy and he’d sort it) . These days - I’m not sure what value they add except to get a commission for selling you.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
30 years ago I only used brokers for insurance and they were good - particularly when dealing with claims (I’d hand all the details over to my guy and he’d sort it) . These days - I’m not sure what value they add except to get a commission for selling you.
Brokers are getting a rare breed. Hardly see any on the High Streets now.
I agree, any little bump and you gave them the accident report form and left them to deal with it.
The internet is good in many ways, instant cover , find your own cover etc but the personal touch has gone.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Brokers were of value when relationships, real people and commonsense or discretion was part of the underwriting process.

The computer says no (or yes) now.

Perhaps for HNW clients with specific needs and odd requirements they have a place in private motor, but otherwise they can't do anymore than us (and some cases, quite a bit less)

As said elsewhere, a forecast of an increasing number of people risking going without cover is worrying

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Brokers are getting a rare breed. Hardly see any on the High Streets now.
I agree, any little bump and you gave them the accident report form and left them to deal with it.
The internet is good in many ways, instant cover , find your own cover etc but the personal touch has gone.
30 years ago, I only dealt with one guy for all my insurance. House, car, life, medical etc. I was not a wealthy guy but he took care of everything. Not simply selling me a policy.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Brokers were of value when relationships, real people and commonsense or discretion was part of the underwriting process.

The computer says no (or yes) now.

Perhaps for HNW clients with specific needs and odd requirements they have a place in private motor, but otherwise they can't do anymore than us (and some cases, quite a bit less)

As said elsewhere, a forecast of an increasing number of people risking going without cover is worrying

I recall about 50 years ago when my mother decided they did not need house insurance. Her words were “What are the odds of us losing everything?” She was lucky because they had no major loss ever (do any of us ever?).

However she was a very smart lady who ran a big business in the 60/70s, had a Triumph 2000 as a company car, and took on building societies (and won) for overcharging her 1p a month on her mortgage etc etc.

Insurance is all about fear.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic

Admiral loses 380,000 customers, but profits are up!

No susprise there.
My multicar with them was up a few months back, the price had almost doubled.

I few looks at the comparison sites, then a call to admiral, they couldn't get close - so i told them they lost a customer.

Lose customers - inc the premiums.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
No susprise there.
My multicar with them was up a few months back, the price had almost doubled.

I few looks at the comparison sites, then a call to admiral, they couldn't get close - so i told them they lost a customer.

Lose customers - inc the premiums.
Problem is, they didn’t/don't care.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
No company cares about customers now - its the shareholder that matter.

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
I recall about 50 years ago when my mother decided they did not need house insurance. Her words were “What are the odds of us losing everything?” She was lucky because they had no major loss ever (do any of us ever?).

However she was a very smart lady who ran a big business in the 60/70s, had a Triumph 2000 as a company car, and took on building societies (and won) for overcharging her 1p a month on her mortgage etc etc.

Insurance is all about fear.
I tend to take it out when having repairs on the house… my father never took any insurance out and so I spent many years oblivious to the understanding that it is a thing…

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
My Mum said that about the flood part of their house insurance. They said my Mum & Dad lived on a flood plain .... my Mum said that in the 50 years they'd lived there, their house had never been flooded so declined the flood part of their house ins. That was Sept 2015 ..... a few months later on the Boxing Day, they were knee deep in their living room. :(

Norton Insurance Brokers

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.nortonib.co.uk
Your Mercedes
190 SL
Are you looking for the right level of cover for your Mercedes-Benz?

We have been providing classic vehicle insurance services since 1965 and we take pride in finding you the best level of cover for a competitive price. Our Personal Client Managers can also take care of your home and life insurance too!

If you're interested, please get in touch with us for your free quote today by calling 0121 248 9229 or visit https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/ for more information.

Comment below if you have any questions and we'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Interesting article by Martin Lewis a few days back about best time to renew - he said it's about 21 days before expiry. did a troll round the comparison sites a week or a little more back for a renewal for the C220 (renewal from current insurer LV was £90 more than last year) and got a quote £40 cheaper like for like, looked again yesterday and same outfit's quote was £50 more expensive than 7-10 days ago and now £15 more than current insurer!! Renewal date 31 October. Bad time of year for me, SLK insurance due 11 Nov, Churchill's reneqal offer came through today and is little more than last year.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
My favourite topic ! Not !!!!
My R170 SLK classic insurance is due in about 3 weeks. I had to chase the current broker since l like to plan ahead and the agreed value is due for review this year as well. It came in at £380 which isn’t far short of double what l paid last year. I immediately contacted the broker who told me the current underwriting company had a full quota currently and would not be looking to renew, hence the increase due to a different underwriter. I don’t know if this is just bs. Anyhow the lady must have sensed my displeasure and offered a discount of £100, making it £280 this year. I still intend shopping around. The car has only covered 200 miles in the last 12 months and l still feel someone’s taking the proverbial. I hate dealing with insurers !

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
Mine was £1000 over last year’s amount :shock: I’m thinking about challenging this amount… not holding my breath though…

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Just called my insurance for get a quote for the new car. currently paying £396 per year. new car £576 per year. confused.com gave me a quote for £470 per year which I thought was not bad, the question is im 4 months away from renewal and would lose a years NCD. what's the likely hood that even with the extra 1 years NCB it will come under that. I had a rant to them about loyalty etc being with them for 4 years but didn't change a thing.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom