Remote Roof Module R230 CMR230 Installation question

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Apologies, the CAN connector on the passenger side, I do understand what you are saying. The seller is pretty adamant it has to be driver side for this particular module, which is why it probably worked for you in the compartment behind the car also.

Additionally, the mod4cars unit used to be installed in the footwell, but the most update instructions also say to use in the compartment behind the driver, so maybe this is it!

Looking at this diagram it looks like the left side of the car is on a different branch to the right, maybe this is the reason it has to be on the right?

Have to work out how to loosen this accelerator pedal!

Attachments

• wiring loom.jpg
    wiring loom.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The wiring harnesses in the cars are turned upside down for RHD cars.

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Oh! I think I need to give it a go on the other side, what do you think would be easier, going in driver footwell, removing accelerator, or going into the panel behind driver, if trim can be removed?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
It looks to me like the module is fitted in series with the roof module, and so does need to be plugged to the specific CAN connector for that ECU. That would make sense, logically, when you consider what is does.

The instructions do state and show driver's side, with good pictures etc...

EDIT: Now looks like it goes in series with the link between CAN connectors - curious.

Last edited:
OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Had more thoughts on this Malcom, you are completely right. The module has instructions for LHD car, and it states module should be fitted on driver's side LHD. As you say that for RHD they just flip over the wiring loom, then for RHD then the module must be fitted on the right hand side to!

Right now, im just repairing the CAN connectors with the bits I bought and going to try loosen the pedal to lift the carpet and see what's underneath!

Ian if you are somewhere, would be great to know how you installed the module.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It looks to me like the module is fitted in series with the roof module, and so does need to be plugged to the specific CAN connector for that ECU. That would make sense, logically, when you consider what is does.

The instructions do state and show driver's side, with good pictures etc...

EDIT: Now looks like it goes in series with the link between CAN connectors - curious.

Alex its all CAN operated, I had mine in the rear box behind the seat, where the roof and roll bar CAN connectors are. The Brown/black just unplugs and plugs into the module and the module plugs into the CAN block. It has to be activated. every single part of the CAN is all wire in Parallel operated form the correct data stream.

Devonian

Reaction score
I have fitted 2 of these modules and on both fitted them under the carpet on the drivers side. Seat right back throttle pedal unbolted and carpet up only tam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devonian

Reaction score
Oops pressed send too soon. Carpet up and module fitted in about 15 mins I think if I were doing it again I'd try for the fuse box behind the drivers seat as that would be more convenient if you need to disconnect it as we had to do a few times on one of ours when the module kept going faulty :(

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
From the fusebox in the back, it looks like the ground connection is a bit hard too far out of reach.

I think I am going to try seeing if I can remove the pedal first, and follow the instructions.

The million dollar question I am trying to figure out is how to remove the pedal, so I can pull the carpet up!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One nut holds the throttle pedal. Plenty of ground points in the rear.

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Think I found it!

Attachments

• pedalnutr230.jpg
    pedalnutr230.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 22

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Think you're right. I am uploading the pictures as I type, but there driver side has a sh** load more cables, and it actually looks like as many as in the CMR230 insturction manual. If you look at my original picture at the start of the thread there are hardly any cables.

Key things I have noticed going to the driver side are:
- There are 2x brown\brown-black cables going into the CAN.
- The purple and red wire described in the instructions exists. (There is also a solid red cable to)
- The carpet is really difficult to get up, and I think I have to losen the driver seat to get to it properly. I snapped the black cover on of the wiring as the other piece is stuck on the carpet which is stuck under the bolt of the car.

Attachments

• loom.jpg
    loom.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 29
  • loom1.jpg
    loom1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 24
  • loom2.jpg
    loom2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 26
  • loom3.jpg
    loom3.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 24
  • loom4.jpg
    loom4.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 27

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are no wake up connectors in your picture as shown in the cabrio pictures

But there are CAN wires, the same ones that go all round the car.

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Oops pressed send too soon. Carpet up and module fitted in about 15 mins I think if I were doing it again I'd try for the fuse box behind the drivers seat as that would be more convenient if you need to disconnect it as we had to do a few times on one of ours when the module kept going faulty :(

This is reassuring to know, how did you know the module was faulty?

Also when connecting to the live in the car, was the live cable from the car, slightly thicker than the rest?

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
There are no wake up connectors in your picture as shown in the cabrio pictures

But there are CAN wires, the same ones that go all round the car.

Yes, maybe because the CAN wires are flipped over as you said, and the green wires are left as is in both LHD and RHD cars?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Funny how it wires in, in series, with the CAN link cable that joins to other CAN connectors. We are not party to the internal schematic of the module, so it may turn out to be wired in parallel, as CAN networks are. In which case it ought not to matter which connector it plugs to, but apparently it does.

And yes Malcolm, thanks, all CAN controlled, but I think we had taken this as read? I had anyway.

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
GUYS!

I finally got it to work! I connected the module to the second brown-black/brown slot on the CAN, then reset the module, but disconnecting and re-connecting it to the 12V. The reset part of it was maybe where I was going wrong. As soon as I did that, I press the hangup button and heard a single beep. Pressed for 3 seconds a again, and heard 3 beeps, and it all worked from there.

I will try and get photos and videos up later, just need to get some sleep now and get energy to put car back together!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The wire that you have plugged into now in X3016, is the other end of the same wire that comes from X3015. You can clearly see that in the diagram that I put up. I suspect the problem was that there was no real live in the passenger side. The thick red is the main plus that feeds the rear SAM and fuse box where the same CAN wires also sit in X3017.

The only reason that this module is in series with the CAN is so that it can be turned off and out of the circuit.

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
I also think that maybe its because left footwell/X3015 and rear/X3017 are not directly connected to each other?

I did test the line on passenger side and that was a solid 12V also.

The diagrams shows how everything is connected now, that works, I think whether you connect in the rear or in the right/driver footwell, you will end up with a setup shown in the second diagram:

Attachments

• canbusr230a.jpg
    canbusr230a.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 20
  • canbusr230b.jpg
    canbusr230b.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom