Speed warning

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
we have control of our speed, one right foot and road signs; bought a dash cam, now! that really makes you think. if i were to hand in the camera chip, smokey would have field day; Like most other motors i have all the gubbins, c/c, radio, phone, i do not use them. that is my opinion for what it is worth,ardaelius.

A Trabant sounds as though it would be an ideal car .... :rolleyes:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Problem with the limiter is that on the last two or three mph before the limit, the accelerator becomes very wooly and you find yourself pressing harder with no effect......

That's why I'm not keen on using the limiter. I tendvto fo as Craig & use cruise instead.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... cruise control is something I never use.....don't like it.

Just asking ..... why not?
I've had cruise on various cars & use it frequently (apart from in EmilysMum's C3 - too much effort involved in engaging it) especially when towing. Set it & forget about it.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Aye, I use cruise often, especially now I have one clever enough to slow the car down as well as speed it up.

haven't used the limiter at all though.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Silly me.
I thought that an unjust law was one you obeyed unless or until you or others made enough noise to get it changed.
The alternaive is apparently called anarchy, because just about everyone chafes at one law or another.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
My new-ish aftermarket head unit has this feature - "you're over the speed limit" announcement ...
Took me a few minutes, to find how to disable it. Permanently :)

I wish I could do that with my TomTom. It never used to alert you with a bong/gong but years ago after an update it now does. PITA!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Do you not drive?

Is that a rhetorical question? Of course I drive.

I'm still curious as to how you determine and prove the majority of drivers break the posted speed limit.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I'm still curious as to how you determine and prove the majority of drivers break the posted speed limit.

Proof might require a speed gun, but we all know that the majority of road users speed .... myself included.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Easily. Just set the limit in your cruise or limiter & watch the queue build in your rear view mirror :rolleyes:

Is that in town, city, on the open road, motorway. 24/7 on every inch of every road? Are every driver on the roads at the same time? :rolleyes:

When towing, as you know, we have lower limits applicable than that posted for other vehicles (the recent reduction on National Speed Limit A roads has caught a few tuggers out), so setting our cruise at our limit doesn't need to cause a queue behind us :geek:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Is that in town, city, on the open road, motorway. 24/7 on every inch of every road? Are every driver on the roads at the same time? :rolleyes:
Take your pick. I know that when going to work for 0700hrs very few are doing 30/40/60 or 70 (which are the various limits I meet)
I'm surprised that nobody has piped up with ...... They're limits - not targets :coffee:

When towing, as you know, we have lower limits applicable than that posted for other vehicles (the recent reduction on National Speed Limit A roads has caught a few tuggers out), so setting our cruise at our limit doesn't need to cause a queue behind us :geek:

The only alteration of NSL roads that I know of is the raising of HGVs from 40 to the same as other trailers ie 50mph

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I wish I could do that with my TomTom. It never used to alert you with a bong/gong but years ago after an update it now does. PITA!

I've used quite a few TomToms in the last few years & on every one you could turn that feature off.

Russ

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)
Silly me.
I thought that an unjust law was one you obeyed unless or until you or others made enough noise to get it changed.
The alternaive is apparently called anarchy, because just about everyone chafes at one law or another.
Well that depends on your understanding of jurisprudence, law and morality of course...

If for example a law was enacted that required you to have your daughter raped at 10 years old by the Mayor, would you submit her to it? (yes, an extreme example, but nevertheless a law is a law is a law..And we should not forget Prima Nocte of course - though spelling it correctly may be a different matter........... )

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)

Because I drive. And in a 30 limit I end up with a huge queue of people behind me (and quite often get overtaken too).. If you drive at the speed limit, you basically end up with people tailgating, and a long row of traffic backed up.....

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I've used quite a few TomToms in the last few years & on every one you could turn that feature off.

Russ

I'll have look in the settings, but it was a feature that appeared in an update one time. :confused:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I find the limiter a bit of a PITA and rather defeats the option of cruise... I use cruise control most of the time - maybe as much as 85% - and soon found as mentioned above that a normal setting will slow the car down to the set speed so long as it has sufficient time to do it - e.g.: if your'e doing 50 (legally) you can reset cruise to say, 40 as a new limit applies - but of course, if you leave it too late it doesn't have enough time to slow the car down.

I often thought you should be able to set both together e,g,: set cruise to 40 (which you can manually override with the accelerator) and set limiter to 50. But I suppose that's asking too much!

Funny thing is, I think cruise is valuable - like sliced bread but SWMBO won't use it because it's "too complicated..."

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Because I drive. And in a 30 limit I end up with a huge queue of people behind me (and quite often get overtaken too).. If you drive at the speed limit, you basically end up with people tailgating, and a long row of traffic backed up.....

At least you're not having your picture taken!

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My standalone Garmin 3790 does that too, but I managed to limit the warning dings to speed cameras only ...

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Is that on every road all the time, or just your particular journey at that particular time? In order to validate your contention as one which the majority do not obey, a wider sample needs to be taken, surely you would agree.

To widen the sample a bit further with data, as opposed to unmeasured opinion, the average speed across London in the latest figures is 16.8mph between 07:00 & 19:00, dropping to 7.4mph in Central London. It is doubtful if a majority do not obey the posted limit, would you agree.

If simple extrapolation were to be applied across cities in the country, a similar picture would emerge.

Further questions arise on a country wide basis, such as: Lorries are governed to 56mph, below the posted limit on motorways for lorries, what volume of vehicles and journeys are made by lorries in contrast to other vehicles on motorways? Do then the majority break the posted limit?

Bring on autonomous vehicles where the currently available and used systems on vehicles will negate the tailgating, in concert with Future Cities where traffic is managed to maintain flow. Effectively eliminating the causal factor in speeding of impatient humans ;);)

That a queue of impatient people are baited ready to overtake in a 30 mph posted limit, which is invariably in a built up area where there will be pedestrians, parked cars, obstacles and obstructions etc to save a matter of seconds per mile travelled is something I struggle to comprehend. Heaven forbid a child be run down to save a couple of seconds per mile, I would find it very difficult to live with on my conscience. I wonder if the majority feel the same. But you carry on speeding in a 30 if you wish, it ain't for me. :shock::shock:

Top Bottom