Speed warning

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
And in a 30 limit I end up with a huge queue of people behind me (and quite often get overtaken too).. If you drive at the speed limit, you basically end up with people tailgating, and a long row of traffic backed up.....

Last time I heard someone saying that, they then explained that in order to keep under the 30mph limit, they kept the speedo needle at 27mph. Seeing as their real speed was probably 23 or 24mph it would explain the tailgating & overtaking he experienced.

Russ

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)
Heaven forbid a child be run down to save a couple of seconds per mile, I would find it very difficult to live with on my conscience. I wonder if the majority feel the same. But you carry on speeding in a 30 if you wish, it ain't for me. :shock::shock:

Actually if you really, really want to see super driving with speed limits being utterly ignored, try a school run........

But who said I speed? I said I obey the limits, that is why I get cars and lorries building up behind me....... Of course, when we hit an NSL they tend to fall away, only to get back up my backside when we hit a 30 again...

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I find the limiter a bit of a PITA and rather defeats the option of cruise... I use cruise control most of the time - maybe as much as 85% - and soon found as mentioned above that a normal setting will slow the car down to the set speed so long as it has sufficient time to do it - e.g.: if your'e doing 50 (legally) you can reset cruise to say, 40 as a new limit applies - but of course, if you leave it too late it doesn't have enough time to slow the car down.

I often thought you should be able to set both together e,g,: set cruise to 40 (which you can manually override with the accelerator) and set limiter to 50. But I suppose that's asking too much!

Funny thing is, I think cruise is valuable - like sliced bread but SWMBO won't use it because it's "too complicated..."

The Merc system that facilitates keeping to the posted speed limits is already here. It uses the traffic sign recognition with the cruise control. The only drawback I find is it brakes the car harder than I would without it, which means the car behind may well not react in time to the harder braking.

OP
B

BrianTompkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC250 d AMG Line
and how can you prove that the majority break the posted speed limit? o_O

2,500,000 motorist were caught breaking the speed limit last year.......so how many got away with it?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Actually if you really, really want to see super driving with speed limits being utterly ignored, try a school run........

But who said I speed? I said I obey the limits, that is why I get cars and lorries building up behind me....... Of course, when we hit an NSL they tend to fall away, only to get back up my backside when we hit a 30 again...

Fortunately our school runs for the past 6 years were all on foot as we didn't bother taking the car the half a mile to school. Unlike loads of parents who did!! The current school run involves a walk to the bus stop ;) On the annual walk to school day I did ask to drive and drop off in the car park so as to do the opposite to everyone else, but the irony was lost :geek:

So as you don't speed you are reducing the 'majority' to the speed you are travelling at. So to go back to your original point of the majority not obeying the law, is that correct? ;);)

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

2,500,000 motorist were caught breaking the speed limit last year.......so how many got away with it?

No idea, are you able to tell us? Did those caught drivers speed every inch of every journey? How many drivers are there in the country? How often do they drive? Is that number a majority of driver journeys in the whole year, in which case it is statistically irrelevant I'm afraid.

You can tell I've been 'corrected' on a Speed Awareness Course!! ;);)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
...... and of course there are drivers that drive every where at 35 regardless of the limit

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)
No idea, are you able to tell us? Did those caught drivers speed every inch of every journey? How many drivers are there in the country? How often do they drive? Is that number a majority of driver journeys in the whole year, in which case it is statistically irrelevant I'm afraid.

You can tell I've been 'corrected' on a Speed Awareness Course!! ;);)

Well it doesn't matter how long they exceeded the limit for, as we know the second they did they crashed, killing children and bunnies......

How often they drive is irrelevant, once a law is broken they are a criminal.. They only have to drive once and break the limit once to count.

Also you can argue (it is a fact after all) that 1mph over ANY limit by ANY driver means they have broken the law. I suspect most do this. Now, compare and contrast to burglers, how many people break into a house when they go out for a drive....

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, it's a 2017 SLC 250d AMG Line vin WDD1724042F145331.

I take your comments re speed. However after 57 years of driving three years ago I got my first ticket 36 in a 30 zone, since then I have become paranoid, silly I know but that's the truth.

Bob has posted your data card on the Vin decoder thread.

In summary you don't have the Traffic Sign Assist. So use the cruise control and limiter!! ;)

OP
B

BrianTompkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC250 d AMG Line
I think most of us attempt to stay within the speed limit. It's the momentary lapse that catches most of us out. I think the majority of speeding offence are for very minor infringements.

It's just so easy with the cars of today, you pull out to overtake someone doing sixty, before you know it your doing eighty ( i.e. 1 MPH over the allowed limit), you pull back in and ease off. all the time not noticing that a camera was pointing in your direction.

Wham, 3 points £ 100, and increased insurance for five years.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Well that depends on your understanding of jurisprudence, law and morality of course...

If for example a law was enacted that required you to have your daughter raped at 10 years old by the Mayor, would you submit her to it? (yes, an extreme example, but nevertheless a law is a law is a law..And we should not forget Prima Nocte of course - though spelling it correctly may be a different matter........... )

Don't take what I say too seriously sir! My remarks were intended in jest.
It seems that Braveheart has a lot to answer for!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
The Merc system that facilitates keeping to the posted speed limits is already here. It uses the traffic sign recognition with the cruise control. The only drawback I find is it brakes the car harder than I would without it, which means the car behind may well not react in time to the harder braking.

Bit too modern for my car... :(

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
and how can you prove that the majority break the posted speed limit? o_O

Just drive at the limit. You'll soon see the Beemer and Audi drivers queuing up behind you, jackets on little pegs above the back door. As my wife says "Driving like they left the chip pan on the gas".

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Well it doesn't matter how long they exceeded the limit for, as we know the second they did they crashed, killing children and bunnies......

How often they drive is irrelevant, once a law is broken they are a criminal.. They only have to drive once and break the limit once to count.

Also you can argue (it is a fact after all) that 1mph over ANY limit by ANY driver means they have broken the law. I suspect most do this. Now, compare and contrast to burglers, how many people break into a house when they go out for a drive....

Innocent until proven guilty. You're not a criminal until you have been convicted of breaking the law. That is unless you're in Scotland where you can be found "Not proven". In other words, you know you did it, the Jury knows you did it but the Police were too inept to prove that you did it.

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)
Innocent until proven guilty. You're not a criminal until you have been convicted of breaking the law. That is unless you're in Scotland where you can be found "Not proven". In other words, you know you did it, the Jury knows you did it but the Police were too inept to prove that you did it.

Thank for the clarification. Of course, I did wonder how it worked when I worked prosecuting in the Mags.

Speeding is a strict liability offence too as you must be aware.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom