4)W123
5)W126
6)W201
7)W124
8)R129
9)W219
10)SLS

LOL I wish!!

The W198 is the 1956 300SL Gullwing, the most iconic Merc in my eyes :)

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
The g-wagen 463 series. All the faults of the 460 corrected, nigh on indestructable but passenger car comfort

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
this one - won't even go rusty

Attachments

• mb.jpg
    mb.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 16

chris.d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml 270 2000.. saab 9.3 conv
the best car i have ever owned was my 1978 sel 350 auto!! so this is my vote

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
The SL55 is already a legend (with the emphasis on leg)

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
My votes go to the W124 and the W140 in that order....
The seat in the 124 is probably the most comfortable seat I have ever used.

Now, to be fair, why not split the voting up into sections based on the decades since MB started production.

Then the winner in each decade is placed aganist each other to come up with a top ten.

Then what about the best technical innovations ever - as well as the ones picked up by other manufacturers. The carburettor comes to mind, apart from airbags..

Justathort...

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Your all wrong with yer all performing 'pretty' mini-skirted bubblegum models!

It has to be the 124 for pure stamina and all round practicability. This model is a true decendant of wartime film classics & Indiana Jones!

Went to Lisbon recently & mostly 90% plus Taxi's were 124s & some approaching up to 2 million kms (as one driver told me a cab was recently bought up by MB to put in their museum in its original portuguese TAXI Livery).

No doubt the MB dealers out there & in Italy know how to look after their customers even long after they've bought this the best car ever made - the W-124.

Perhaps we should have a poll as to which country provides the best and most helpful dealers - and I would definately say Italy - and mostly inland!

I could not agree more!

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
I could liven up this thread by suggesting that the bottom 10 mercs are also included...

1. W168

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
I would regard the ten MOST IMPORTANT cars in the history of Mercedes-Benz as follows -

1) Benz Patent Motorcar of 1886 : the vehicle that started automotive history

2) The 1899 Mercedes car , built by Daimler , commissioned by Emile Jellinek and the first to bear the 'Mercedes' name , after Jellinek's daughter .

3) The 1927 36/220 Model S : the first of a line of supercharged Grand Prix cars and , also , one of the first cars to be designated a 'Mercedes-Benz' following the amalgamation of Daimler Motern Gesselschaft and Benz & Cie in 1926 to form the new Daimler Benz company .

4) The W125 pre-war Grand prix racing car - probably the most advanced car to be produced before the war , developed with unlimited funding from the Nazi government to 'demonstrate the technical superiority of German industry' and which swept all competitors to one side just before hostilities .

5) The 1935 260D : The world's first Diesel engined passenger car

6) The post war 170 (W136) : The first car to be produced by the reformed Daimler-Benz company after the war .

7) The W120/121 Ponton 180 and 190 : the first models to embrace unitary construction without needing a separate chassis and to incorporate front and rear crumple zones - the basic blueprint for every subsequent Mercedes-Benz . Also the model which established Mercedes reputation as sturdy , reliable cars , the Diesel versions especially becoming the favourite of taxi drivers the world over .

8) The W198 300SL ( Roadster and Gullwing Coupe ) the first production car to feature fuel injection and the forerunner of the modern supercar ( also the first of a long line of cars to bear the 'SL' suffix ) .

9) The W109 300SEL 6.3 : The first high-performance luxury saloon car ; the vehicle which gave rise to the notion that you could travel very fast in luxury and safety , and which spawned a whole industry of aftermarket 'tuners' typified by AMG and Brabus .

10) The W201 190E : The car which saw Mercedes start to embrace a new , younger marketplace and enter the world of volume car production in a way they never had before .

Last edited:

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
why not split the voting up into sections based on the decades since MB started production.

It is only meant to be the top 10 ; Mercedes (Daimler) and Benz have been building cars since they invented them 13 decades ago .

OP
beccy

beccy

MBO Membership Secretary
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Thank You

Thanks to you all for posting what you believe to be the Top Ten Mercs. This has been a great help in putting a feature together for our special January edition, which I hope you will all enjoy.

Beccy :D:D:D

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
The MBO will be celebrating its 10 year Anniversary next year and to celebrate we're having a special bumper January edition of Mercedes Owner magazine.

We're going to be including an exciting feature on the Top 10 Mercedes-Benz models of all time.

To decide which models to include in this feature we'd like to tap the collective wisdom of the forum. Please let us know the model you think deserves recognition and we'll have a vote nearer the time.

Beccy :)

It bemuses me somewhat that - asked to name " The top 10 Mercedes-Benz models of all time " , 'ALL TIME ' seems to most people to extend to perhaps the last twenty years or so of production when the company have been making cars ever since they invented them 125 years ago , come next year !

Last edited:

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
What about the 202?

Handles better than a 124, rusts less etc etc.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
It bemuses me somewhat that - asked to name " The top 10 Mercedes-Benz models of all time " , 'ALL TIME ' seems to most people to extend to perhaps the last twenty years or so of production when the company have been making cars ever since they invented them 125 years ago , come next year !
Maybe the older ones aren't good enough to be considered the best...

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe the older ones aren't good enough to be considered the best...

I presume the situation is that most contributors aren't old enough to have been interested in cars much more than 20 or so years ago .......

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom