What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
took the 216 for a punt to the golf course yesterday , hearing that big V8 still puts a massive grin on my face , what an engine :D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
you staying down here, bit of a drive!

I'm intent on down and back same day, but chucking an overnight bag in case of traffic issues. Too busy home and work to make a trip of it unfortunately!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Well, the deed is done, put the deposit down on an E63 AMG 5.5 V8 Bi-Turbo.
If all goes to plan I will pick it up 1st. March.
It's been a rocky road sometimes with the SL, tears of pain and joy equally. A flawed beauty is probably the best description I can think of.
The 63 is just over 2 years old so has MB Warranty remaining, I will extend that come the time either MB or elsewhere.
I will miss the SL, stunningly beautiful and a joy to drive (when not garaged) but I won't miss of course the flaws- well documented on here. Someone however is going to end up with a well sorted car.
Looking forward I am looking to reacquaint myself with a 212, I loved my last one and this has twice the power and toys!
End of one era, and into another, cant wait!

Congratulations John
Sure you will enjoy that power :):)
And total peace of mind. MB warranty.where the only hassle is drivi g it in to get it fixed. Boy do I miss that.
If anything breaks ... you get it renewed :):):) FOC.
My 05 SL 500 lost a strut in year four at 14,300 miles :-/
Great news was the extended warranty paid for itself in the first month.

The only disturbing unresolved issue was how could such a major component fail at 14,300 miles.
And the other one had failed at 1,700 miles in year 2!
Note a seriously babied garage queen!!! Never hit a big pothole etc. Slow to 15mph for speed humps etc.

In my niavety I put it down to a faulty batch. I now just think the whole system is flakey fragile!

But then , I didn't have any problems with 2 of the SL500 cars.

Last edited:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Another E63 on the forum then John. :)

Well done mate, look forward to seeing it, and I may even be able to suggest a few mods...

:D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Another E63 on the forum then John. :)

Well done mate, look forward to seeing it, and I may even be able to suggest a few mods...

:D

Cheers Dave, yeah reckoned it was time I joined the big boys table :D
I'll make sure you see it soon....and really you might have some suggestions....surprised ;)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Thanks Craig, thats what I'm hoping for. I'm at this stick or twist stage now..

My 2016 spend was way more than I had wanted on this car and I had foolishly thought 2017 might just let me enjoy the car...doh!

At least if i move it on, the next owner will have less to do, or even nothing!

My eyes have been straying towards newer E63's.....

So John your experience isn't unlike mine but I tell you that having been away from the SL for a wee while now I have the following feelings ..

1. I , despite the niggles with the E , always expect it to get me from A to B and everywhere in between with no real issues.
2. I don't turn the engine in expecting the dash to light up like a Christmas tree
3. I miss the thrill of owning and driving to he SL
4. I often wonder if I threw the towel in too soon and that at some point I could have finally gotten , the 2nd one , to be a good 'un ..

Heart and head really ... I went with head but I have so many regrets as well but it's trouble free motoring now compared to the SL .

Really sorry to hear of this stuff John.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
So John your experience isn't unlike mine but I tell you that having been away from the SL for a wee while now I have the following feelings ..

1. I , despite the niggles with the E , always expect it to get me from A to B and everywhere in between with no real issues.
2. I don't turn the engine in expecting the dash to light up like a Christmas tree
3. I miss the thrill of owning and driving to he SL
4. I often wonder if I threw the towel in too soon and that at some point I could have finally gotten , the 2nd one , to be a good 'un ..

Heart and head really ... I went with head but I have so many regrets as well but it's trouble free motoring now compared to the SL .

Really sorry to hear of this stuff John.

Ah Gordon, its all relative
And as I metioned before somewhere, priorities change.
If I have to point the finger to bad decisions on my part to some extent it wasn't getting the SL that was it..
1) I initially bought it as a weekend/occasional car
2) At that time we had the A6 Avant (business), and the Galaxy (Family transport)
3) moved home and began to think having 3 cars was impractical/frivolous and actually spoiled the look of our home front (looked like a station car park!)
4) sold the Galaxy
5) SWMBO took over the A6, meaning...
6) The SL became my daily driver! Mistake
I need a reliable daily, ok..
7) The A6 is going to be replaced by a Volvo XC90 on order, due June we hope.
Meantime right at this moment we've ONE car (the SL is mid repair)

All first world problems but summarising /we need 2 x practical and reliable cars and its good to hear your reliability comments and confidence with the E. That's how I hope to feel

I'm sure I'll miss the SL as soon as we get regular roof down weather (at least you can still do that), but hey...

fidge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Coupe 2013
Well today I washed, de-tared, washed again and then clay bared the Coupe. I then ran out of light so the paint touch-up and 3 stage polish will have to wait until next weekend now.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Drove the SL 200 miles or so to see some friends. It definitely appreciated the run out!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
1st of March Matt, nice 'little' drive to Southend on sea/down in the SL back in the E63.....:D
Any luck finding one yourself so far?

Will be a nice day out there John,

Nothing on the horizon for me yet, though went and had a look at a pre face lift S212 today, think I will be getting one just need to find the right one now,

Looking for a 350 with airmatic, Comand, memory seats (dynamic if I can), and if I'm really lucky distronic, up to 70k miles (maybe a few more for the right car) and a budget of £15k, might be looking a while but I'm sure my car is out there somewhere.

Last edited:

Parkgate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2005 2.7CDI
Washed the old girl, Black Hole'd it, waxed it, thoroughly cleaned all the glasswork, dressed the tyres, dressed the rubbers...and couldn't see sod all difference after 3 hours of grafting other than it looked a bit cleaner! But I felt a hell of a lot better for doing something outside. :eek:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Looked at the SL looking a bit sorry for itself...

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 34

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Really like those wheels.

Thanks Sub, cant take much credit, that was the previous owners work. Came from Acacia alloys in Italy www.wspitaly.com
These are the Capri W758 AMG Anthracite polished
Acacia were OE suppliers to MB at one time (possibly still?)

I think they do set off the car nicely....

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Having not driven it since Friday I found it flatter than a pancake this morning. So, it's on the Ctek.

Twice in a week...time to hunt the drain.:sad:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Having not driven it since Friday I found it flatter than a pancake this morning. So, it's on the Ctek.

Twice in a week...time to hunt the drain.:sad:

Damn! Good luck thats a very irritating thing to track down

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Not today but yesterday I went up to Preston for a bit of a meet with some friends. Some awesome stuff there given the weather, including the new Aston Vanquish Volante (I think), a few McLaren's and some Ferrari things. Also lots of early 911s, Lambos and a nice AMG GTS.

A nice morning out, and less than an hour away, but it took over three hours to get my poor little taxi cleaned up again. :( Sand and grit everywhere for some reason, assuming it's the residue from the gritters, but we haven't had any cold here for a good couple of weeks.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yeah you can still see it on the roads like dust Dave- horrible!
My next ones black as well!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom