Worst Drivers.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I have been noticing something interesting recently. It's not been the Audis that have been up my arse, it's been Mondeos, and specifically Vignales. I've been reading up on these and apparantly it is Ford's attempt at a luxury brand. Posher than Ghia I suppose.

It's like owners of these cars feel that they have to prove that their car is just as good as a Merc. Daft really, I love my car but it is what is, it's a 9 year old diesel saloon.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I have been noticing something interesting recently. It's not been the Audis that have been up my arse, it's been Mondeos, and specifically Vignales. I've been reading up on these and apparantly it is Ford's attempt at a luxury brand. Posher than Ghia I suppose.

It's like owners of these cars feel that they have to prove that their car is just as good as a Merc. Daft really, I love my car but it is what is, it's a 9 year old diesel saloon.

No, it's a 9 year old diesel saloon with a 3 pointed star on either end.

I have 3 on my driveway. One is 18mth old and a business lease; one is a 10 year old estate and on 219k; one is 17 years old. I paid purchase price under £10k for the lot, including the hefty deposit on the 212.

What comments do I get? "Huh, you must do alright with three Mercs on your drive" etc. This from a bloke with a new Evoque (his) and Juke NISMO RS (hers).

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
No, it's a 9 year old diesel saloon with a 3 pointed star on either end.

I have 3 on my driveway. One is 18mth old and a business lease; one is a 10 year old estate and on 219k; one is 17 years old. I paid purchase price under £10k for the lot, including the hefty deposit on the 212.

What comments do I get? "Huh, you must do alright with three Mercs on your drive" etc. This from a bloke with a new Evoque (his) and Juke NISMO RS (hers).

When someone says that, offer to swap your two older ones for his new one...see if he bites.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
We get that too with 2 x SLs and a rusty E class on the drive.

It’s astonishing how bitter and twisted people can get over it. There’s something about MB & BMW badges that make the drivers of other vehicles automatically envious.

Anyway you’ve got 2 SLs, it’s alright for you ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When someone says that, offer to swap your two older ones for his new one...see if he bites.
The irony is he had a Brabus tuned E350 212 when we first moved in...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Funnily enough its the rusty E class that always impresses me most when I drive it.

Mine is the same for me too! Well, once the move is out of the way I intend to do some squeak and rattle hunting... if I can get swap out the front camera too it’ll transform that car. Then it’s a new TC and remap...

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Volvo estates, especially old Volvo estates which are usually driven by a bloke wearing a trilby and smoking a pipe. Most of them have faulty indicators that are particularly faulty when they intend to turn right. They also often have only one rear side brake light.

...And at the front they sport a Veteran Motorist badge (not funny that it's the shape of two fingers) whch shows the number of years other sensible motorists have avoided them.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
it's been Mondeos, and specifically Vignales. I've been reading up on these and apparantly it is Ford's attempt at a luxury brand. Posher than Ghia I suppose.
a LOT posher, but then again they haven't used the ghia nameplate since about 2009 or 2010. and yes its surprising how well these Mondeos go now. mine would easily lose me my license if I let it do its own thing and let it sit on a motorway at a speed it seems happiest at (like most cars nowadays)

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Auto express rated it 3* and a competitor to the BMW 330 or the C Class - I know where I'd rather be, no disrespect!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Auto express rated it 3* and a competitor to the BMW 330 or the C Class - I know where I'd rather be, no disrespect!

problem is, I know no disrespect was meant BUT how many people have actually TRIED one recently? ok they don't drive the same, because theyre FWD (a pet hate of mine) and no, you cant get the bigger engines you can with a C class, 3 series or Audi A4 BUT (with the exception of possibly the A4 which further down the food chain transforms into the Passat) the Mondeo has FAR more interior and boot space than EITHER the C class OR the 3 series. in that respect its more like an E class/5 series!!! and when you compare like for like in size/space AND equipment, the Ford seems much more of a bargain.
ive heard the current model is set more for comfort so handling has suffered a little, but they will (and ive seen some for sale already at about 2 years old with 140+k miles) stand ridiculous mileages easily. ive seen some of the shape I have for sale with high 200s and even a couple of 300k+ mile cars and, whilst cheap for what they seem to be, they DO sell.

and, for me at least, the Ford is more affordable. (although I wish the Mondeos RWD cousin, the Falcon, was sold here too. similar, from what I can tell looking at them on videos, in size all round to the Mondeo BUT RWD. whats not to like?)

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
I don't doubt the durability and have had some limited experience of the Kuga Vignales recently, with a positive impression.
The issue for Ford, in my opinion is one of consumer perception, that is to say, broadly it's a 'dressed up' Mondeo not a premium brand.
I'm not saying this is a good thing, but, it's a perception issue the main stream manufacturers and their marketing teams can't and seldom easily shrug off.
Look at Skoda and it's high quality (award winning) products, but it's residual, old reputation still dogging its corporate image.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't doubt the durability and have had some limited experience of the Kuga Vignales recently, with a positive impression.
The issue for Ford, in my opinion is one of consumer perception, that is to say, broadly it's a 'dressed up' Mondeo not a premium brand.
I'm not saying this is a good thing, but, it's a perception issue the main stream manufacturers and their marketing teams can't and seldom easily shrug off.
Look at Skoda and it's high quality (award winning) products, but it's residual, old reputation still dogging its corporate image.
totally agree. the thing I have with Skodas now is that they are trying TOO hard to go upmarket. early VW based Skodas were great as they stayed cheap and cheerful, but RELIABLE (or as reliable as VWs were at the time, they have got worse IMO over the years) whereas now, we have the Superb fighting with the Mondeo and Passat, not just as a car, but pricing is up there too, the Octavia which everyone THINKS is a Mondeo contender but is based on a Golf, so is a Focus contender (and nowhere near as good, in my personal experience) then theres the Fabia (again everyone thinks is a Focus contender but really a Polo based Fiesta contender) which isn't as good as a fiesta IME BUT like the rest, is up there on price now. when these cars first existed, they were maybe £3k (at the time) cheaper than the competition, which is possibly £5k+ equivalent now. they have lost that edge on pricing and are cramming toys into cars to try to sell them rather than sticking (or at least still offering) to what theyre best at. bargain basement transport. lose the gadgets (even if it means adding a 'base spec' model) and make it cheap.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom