Bose amp aftermarket radio help

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
It's all about opinions. I really can't see the point in dab ..my ears are fine with just hissy fm..as I said before £500 for this is not worth it for me. Probably not for a lot of others either but some will pay it...

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
I really can't see the point in dab

FM is fine for Radio 4 but I can't get 6 Music in my car any other way and it is important to me that I do.

Arguing over perceived quality of FM vs DAB will lead to the arguees vanishing up their own fundaments.

I'm considering an AutoDAB unit if I can source a replacement external shark-fin aerial as I understand window aerials on my E Class are a no go :confused:

Still looking for a solution :confused:

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
Not sure what the smilies in earlier posts are supposed to mean but anyway.

In my opinion DAB is superior to FM. FM is hissy and although coverage for DAB isnt ideal to say the least, the sound quality I hear in my car from DAB is supurb. Far better than Fm.

You need to get somebody who knows about in car electronics to take a look

:lol::lol::lol:

Now you have to know what these smileys are for ;)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am sure Whitenemesis will be along shortly to supply the answer...

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
You need to speak to the experts down at Comand in Lightwater ;)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
will give your due.. you're consistent.. sigh...

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I think there is a few on here who need to grow the **** up or even better, leave........

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
although coverage for DAB isnt ideal to say the least,

but isnt that the actual issue with it? the fact that the signal seems to be hit and miss depending on where you are, and if the TV is anything to go by, the signal seems to be much weaker than analogue (my tv almost NEVER flickered with analogue, regardless of the weather, digital goes pixelated regularly and thats using either the aerial OR a sattelite)

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Back to the OP.

If I were you mate I would suggest getting a small 4 or 5 channel Class D amp and putting that in place of the Bose amp.
You would then run a couple of rca leads from the new X3500DAB head unit and simply take the speaker wires from the Bose amp and plug them into your new amp.

This would give you a nice upgrade over the pretty poor Bose amp and would keep it all nice and easy for future upgrades.

You could also then add a small sub in the space behind the rear seats, under the flaps in the rear, this would give a massive upgrade to the sound.

You could get a pretty decent Alpine or Pioneer Class D amp for around £130.

DAB.
It is almost dead in many ways, when we get proper 4G coverage it won't be needed, the data coverage will be better than DAB coverage and we will all have radios that stream.
Many car manufactures are talking about dropping DAB and going for data radio, things like Pandora.

DAB is crap quality compared with FM, but then most stuff I listen to is on AM or only on digital. Having said that Jazz FM is now off DAB as they don't see a future in it, which is a shame as they were a major station, but they say that more and more listeners are listening through the net.
Most DAB stations are 96kbps, I wouldn't even bother listening to an album if it was encoded in 96kbps, it sounds compressed and very shallow, but you have no choice.

It will be interesting to see what happens with DAB, could have been great, but the UK bods managed to balls it up as usual.

Comand

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63, SL55, A150, X5, Raptor, ZX10, ZRX1100, Mini, RD350B, RD250B
OP
C

chawksey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI
Well it's all sorted after spending 3 hrs on it yesterday managed to locate the amp so have removed that and now used the block going to the amp to wire the speakers into it. Sounds very nice as the head unit amp is more than capable and the speakers handle it very well

OP
C

chawksey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI
And I'm very pleased with the sound quality the channel reception and the choice of stations so all in all from my perspective it was worth it

Comand

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63, SL55, A150, X5, Raptor, ZX10, ZRX1100, Mini, RD350B, RD250B
Well it's all sorted after spending 3 hrs on it yesterday managed to locate the amp so have removed that and now used the block going to the amp to wire the speakers into it. Sounds very nice as the head unit amp is more than capable and the speakers handle it very well

Excellent.

The Bose speakers are actually quite good. We often drive them with an aftermarket amp with spectacular results.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I tried my DAB this morning after browsing this thread but unfortunately got no signal round the M60 in the Manchester area.

It did start to pick it up around the Warrington area but I couldn't really tell the difference in sound from FM. There again I'm a cloth eared old git. :(

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I tried my DAB this morning after browsing this thread but unfortunately got no signal round the M60 in the Manchester area.

It did start to pick it up around the Warrington area but I couldn't really tell the difference in sound from FM. There again I'm a cloth eared old git. :(

I regularly lose DAB along stretches of the A38 between Plymouth and Exeter, and that's in the MINI with their factory-fit system. I've just resigned myself to the fact that DAB seems a bit less robust than FM. :(

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I had the car back yesterday and early impressions are favourable. The speakers are still bedding in but it's sounding better by the hour.

As for DAB, I can receive 128 kbs to 96 kbs depending on station. To my ears it's not quite as good as FM but I didn't buy it for that reason. I can now tune in to R6 Xtra, R5, TalkSport and other channels that I only had on MW which sounded pretty dire, plus some new ones that TBH I'll never tune into.

So is it worth it? Depends what you listen to really. For me, yes. I am happy I picked a DAB unit

redbaron1973

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 R129

Your DAB is broken then, regularly drive round the M60 without any major issues on DAB.

Top Bottom