Bose amp aftermarket radio help

chawksey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI
Hey peeps just had a new DAB unit fitted today all was going well until we went to listen to the sound!! There wasn't any??
We had a look and there was a lead with fibre optic ends?
They said that I would need to get a different ISO harness, just wondering if anyone else has has the same problems or am I just the lucky one??
The car is a 2002 ML270cdi

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Bose amp input from the MB audio unit is fibre optic, as you have found. All speaker wiring comes from the Bose amp.

You will need to rewire each speaker back to your new head unit, or run the new unit outputs back to the harness at the Bose amp. The amp becomes redundant.

I think I have this correct. The best advice regarding MB ICE comes from the guys at Comand (also a member on the forum)

See this thread

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What DAB unit did you buy, are you saying that this DAB tuner has a optic cable and socket, your car will be D2b and not MOST.

OP
C

chawksey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI
Hi it's a pioneer avh x3500dab. The harness supplied with seems to fit ok but the optic lead is left redundant. I am still confidant that the lead they source will do the job will keep you guys posted

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It has to be the right system or it cannot work,,, What head unit do you have, Comand or the radio.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Please read Richard's post in the linked thread in my post above...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Please read Richard's post in the linked thread in my post above...

This does not have anything to do with the Bose Amp, as any thing like a DAB tuner is plugged into the head unit and not the Bose at all.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
This does not have anything to do with the Bose Amp, as any thing like a DAB tuner is plugged into the head unit and not the Bose at all.

if im reading the OP correctly, Malcolm, i think the issue is that the DAB head unit isnt producing sound to the speakers as it is not connected to the speakers directly, but the speakers are connected to the BOSE amp. i believe the question being asked is are there any adaptor leads to connect the head unit to the bose amp, or the speaker outputs from the amp.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if im reading the OP correctly, Malcolm, i think the issue is that the DAB head unit isnt producing sound to the speakers as it is not connected to the speakers directly, but the speakers are connected to the BOSE amp. i believe the question being asked is are there any adaptor leads to connect the head unit to the bose amp, or the speaker outputs from the amp.

A DAB unit Pete is a tuner that plugs into an existing radio, A DAB car radio is something else, if the OP has bought a DAB car radio, then that is rather different from a DAB unit which I take to be a DAB tuner only and he sure will have problems.

Just done a search and there is going to be problems as it is a complete radio with amp
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive/AVH-X3500DAB/page.html

No mention of any optical output

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hmm. a DAB adaptor unit could be interesting. might add it to my 'to do' list when i eventually get around to installing the MP3 set-up to the audio 10

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hmm. a DAB adaptor unit could be interesting. might add it to my 'to do' list when i eventually get around to installing the MP3 set-up to the audio 10
There are quite a few out there, some will marry into the car steering wheels

I have added one to my CL, the worst thing is the antenna and lousy coverage of DAB in some area's and at certain times of the year.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
do they need an additional antenna or can the one already in the car be utilised?

OP
C

chawksey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI
The whizz who installed it is confident he can get it done just got to wait for the lead to come thru. Hopefully could be the end of this problem

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
do they need an additional antenna or can the one already in the car be utilised?

Easier and cheaper to use an aftermarket amplified antenna stuck to the windscreen. Worked very well on the prototype unit in my 203. One could use the MB supplied antenna but they have a very particular amp current requirement not cheap from MB.

OP
C

chawksey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI
And turbopete you have to use another window mounted ariel for about £20

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The whizz who installed it is confident he can get it done just got to wait for the lead to come thru. Hopefully could be the end of this problem

Do keep us informed. Could be useful if you would supply links to the unit and connecting looms.

OP
C

chawksey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDI
Do keep us informed. Could be useful if you would supply links to the unit and connecting looms.

Will do as there is not much info for this problem. Hopefully it will work out coz the head unit has loads going for it

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Some cars like mine have a metalized screen so impossible to use an inside one, I have an amplified one on the inside of my glass roof but that is only fair on some days, its easy to pick up the BBC stuff and multiplexes but for the other stations and the reason why you bought it is very poor down where I am, you can go 40 miles with nothing.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom