Disabling EGR

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Cheers Pete,
it looks like that mod is for the IL6, being pre 2005 I would've thought the mod not to be for mine ????

The CDI3 mod works on many models - eg a 2007 c220 CDI with the OM646 engine your Vito has.
If it is a Bosch airmass meter I am sure it would work.

Xiper-V

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2001/2.7
Just applied this mod and unplugged the two pin plug from the egr transistor wrapped this up as stated. If this MOD hasn't worked should my car be in limp mode?

My car isn't in limp mode but I'm not sure if it is a bit more pokier going up hills or if it me thinking it is because I've applied this mod.

Just wondered how you can test if this Mod has worked, also do I need to block of one of the egr vacuum hose?

Cheers

Last edited:

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Just applied this mod and unplugged the two pin plug from the egr transistor wrapped this up as stated. If this MOD hasn't worked should my car be in limp mode?

My car isn't in limp mode but I'm not sure if it is a bit more pokier going up hills or if it me thinking it is because I've applied this mod.

Just wondered how you can test if this Mod has worked, also do I need to block of one of the egr vacuum hose?

Cheers

Pretty normal for the motor to be a little more responsive after the mod. It will boost quicker at lower revs. You can block the vacuum tube if you wish but, unless the transducer has an internal leak, it is unnecessary.
Looks like you did it right first time :)

Xiper-V

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270/2001/2.7
What a brilliant mod!!!

Thankyou bud for your speedy response I had to hear it from someone else in order to believe the difference or to check that it is working and that it wasn't all in my head - since you mentioned it boost quicker in lower revs I immediately agree with you straight away it's especially noticeable having a manual Ml270

Thank you once again for clarifying that with me yet - a big Thankyou for the genius behind all of this and for people's hard work writing this up for other people to follow

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
In case anyone disabling the EGR on an OM605 or requires the EGR valve location on both OM605 (C250TD/E250TD) and OM606 (E300TD/S300TD), here is a picture of EGR Valve location and EGR pipe (seen many request in this thread...and I'm sure I've posted this twice now lol)

DSC00480_EDITED_FOR_DIESELMANS_EGR_REMOVAL_THREAD_zps0ae72285.jpg

Also, following on from my C250TD EGR Delete thread ( forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1302006 )
I have given mine quite a hammering with high loads from towing, 2psi higher boost by ecu mapping and more than usual percentage of high boost running in hot temperatures (towing in Oz) and the turbo has not turned a hair in 150K. I think that proves the turbo will not be affected. Turbo life is more related to correct hot shutdown of motor and use of good clean oils. I am very careful to allow a good idle period after prolonged high boost usage.
Yes, you will find that, even with a good thermostat, the motor will take longer to get to operating temp. The heat exchanger in the egr manifold no longer gets a gut-full of flaming exhaust through it like it used to when the egr opened and thus no heat transfer into the coolant.

I got home last night and parked up Ian, popped the bonnet just to see all was well and the engine rocker cover and engine itself felt a lot hotter than usual...Due to increased combustion temperatures perhaps...? (More Oxygen etc)

Last edited:

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
In case anyone disabling the EGR on an OM605 or requires the EGR valve location on both OM605 (C250TD/E250TD) and OM606 (E300TD/S300TD), here is a picture of EGR Valve location and EGR pipe (seen many request in this thread...and I'm sure I've posted this twice now lol)

DSC00480_EDITED_FOR_DIESELMANS_EGR_REMOVAL_THREAD_zps0ae72285.jpg

Also, following on from my C250TD EGR Delete thread ( forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1302006 )

I got home last night and parked up Ian, popped the bonnet just to see all was well and the engine rocker cover and engine itself felt a lot hotter than usual...Due to increased combustion temperatures perhaps...? (More Oxygen etc)

Probably just because it is SUMMER :cool: In fact coolant temps are usually a little cooler - what does your temp gauge show comparatively?
Mine often hits 95 and cuts in the electric fan when I'm towing the van on long hills but rarely moves above 85 when not towing.
Don't be concerned. Just remember to allow turbo cool off time after heavy boosting before turning motor off.
Thanks for posting the pics for darkchild and others. Nicely done.

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Probably just because it is SUMMER :cool: In fact coolant temps are usually a little cooler - what does your temp gauge show comparatively?
Mine often hits 95 and cuts in the electric fan when I'm towing the van on long hills but rarely moves above 85 when not towing.
Don't be concerned. Just remember to allow turbo cool off time after heavy boosting before turning motor off.
Thanks for posting the pics for darkchild and others. Nicely done.

Ah, yes it is quite warm here in London atm, and this Was after a 90 mile Motorway Jaunt home last night with some high speeds, my temperature guage didn't actually change it's values in comparison to the EGR being enabled. On the motorway the extra available torque was definitely noticeable though especially going uphill.

I parked up last night and did what I usually do every night which is, leave the car running idle for 2 mins with heater on hot, speed #1, whilst collecting my work things together so the oil-coolant heat exchanger can do its magic cooling the oil going through the turbo before I switch off. Even when in a rush I do this religiously as I've had turbo's pop on previous cars because I didn't take small precautiouns such as this, and I do genuinely like this motor.

My main concern really was that the extra heat may cause something to let go, or possibly a gasket pop, however I know for certain that when I switch off the engine even after my Hot Heater routine (Sad I know but I do love my OM605 :Oops:), the auxilary electric water pump cycles coolant throughout the engine for around 5-10 mins to minimise hotspots in the engine.

I guess I'm justlooking for reassurance because I'm a bit wary about the extra heat really, or should I just leave the car to it whilst keeping my current precaution routine in place Ian (or dieselman, Alex Crow, WG-MB et al)...? :?:

I appreciate your replies btw Ian, has defintely put my mind at ease more than it was last night mate! :)

No problem btw regarding the picture, always helped to have a picture of bits and bobs in case people aren't sure...! :cool:

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Ah, yes it is quite warm here in London atm, and this Was after a 90 mile Motorway Jaunt home last night with some high speeds, my temperature guage didn't actually change it's values in comparison to the EGR being enabled. On the motorway the extra available torque was definitely noticeable though especially going uphill.

I parked up last night and did what I usually do every night which is, leave the car running idle for 2 mins with heater on hot, speed #1, whilst collecting my work things together so the oil-coolant heat exchanger can do its magic cooling the oil going through the turbo before I switch off. Even when in a rush I do this religiously as I've had turbo's pop on previous cars because I didn't take small precautiouns such as this, and I do genuinely like this motor.

My main concern really was that the extra heat may cause something to let go, or possibly a gasket pop, however I know for certain that when I switch off the engine even after my Hot Heater routine (Sad I know but I do love my OM605 :Oops:), the auxilary electric water pump cycles coolant throughout the engine for around 5-10 mins to minimise hotspots in the engine.

I guess I'm justlooking for reassurance because I'm a bit wary about the extra heat really, or should I just leave the car to it whilst keeping my current precaution routine in place Ian (or dieselman, Alex Crow, WG-MB et al)...? :?:

I appreciate your replies btw Ian, has defintely put my mind at ease more than it was last night mate! :)

No problem btw regarding the picture, always helped to have a picture of bits and bobs in case people aren't sure...! :cool:

You are probably a bit over the top now with safeguards mate so don't worry about the motor. It will handle everything perfectly well. Relax!!!

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
You are probably a bit over the top now with safeguards mate so don't worry about the motor. It will handle everything perfectly well. Relax!!!

Thank you Ian, now I can carry in using the motor with the EGR vacuum pipe blocked... She's going to Wayne Gates soon for a new turbo back exhaust as the current one has a leak, definitely losing torque as the leaks got worse so I can only assume that the car will drive loads better with EGR disabled and exhaust not leaking.

Thanks again mate... :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Ideally you should be sure that the EGR is actually closed.

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1302145#post1302145

If it was jammed a little open, Malcolm, it would be throwing heaps of black smoke out on hard acceleration. So - no bad smoke means it is OK :)

Thank you for that bit of info Ian, your help has been invaluable mate!

Also thanks to Dieselman (Will), Alex Crow, Television (Malcolm), WG-MB (Terry), and Anyone else I have missed out who has contributed in this thread to helping other members free their Diesel MB's of EGR Wretchedness. :cool:

Last edited:

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
How to disable EGR on a C250TD OM605

How to disable EGR on a C250TD OM605:

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144723

Hope this helps. :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I just love the threads where many come and join in with their wisdom and queries, it all makes for a good forum, plus confidence in the ones doing the changes and repairs.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
...I got home last night and parked up Ian, popped the bonnet just to see all was well and the engine rocker cover and engine itself felt a lot hotter than usual...Due to increased combustion temperatures perhaps...? (More Oxygen etc)

Actual meaningful engine temp is witnessed by the reading on the dash - the perception of engine bay heat or engine temp by touching it is never useful.

If it stays below 90 degrees on the dash it will be fine, below 100 indeed should be OK.

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Actual meaningful engine temp is witnessed by the reading on the dash - the perception of engine bay heat or engine temp by touching it is never useful.

If it stays below 90 degrees on the dash it will be fine, below 100 indeed should be OK.

Ah just as I thought Alex, cheers mate. :cool: .

As I've said in my thread posted earlier, I think I'm just being over cautious as, tbh, I do have a lot of respect and care for the car which she has definitely earned by being one of the best cars I have ever owned. I'm going to get her booked in with Wayne Gates to have all the intake pipes cleaned up and EGR valve cleaned as a matter of course, and then blanked off as they re-assemble it, just so it's clean and serviceable should the need arise to use it. ;)

IcemanGP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203/2005/c220cdi
Hi Guys

I have tried to find if anyone covered the w203 2005 model c220cdi but can't find it.
Anyway my EGR is faulty and my mechanic unplugged the cable to the transducer.
The car does give errors if you plug the odb in but other than that drives normal and does not go in limp mode.

I recently failed my mot due emissions.
I am wondering even though the egr cable is unplugged does it still open because of the vaccum hose and if it is driving normal now will it still be better for the car if i install this modification?

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
I can't promise but you may find the answer by reading through this thread bud, a lot of information but not been indexed.

GLOpro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 Mercedes C220cdi
Hi Guys

I have tried to find if anyone covered the w203 2005 model c220cdi but can't find it.
Anyway my EGR is faulty and my mechanic unplugged the cable to the transducer.
The car does give errors if you plug the odb in but other than that drives normal and does not go in limp mode.

I recently failed my mot due emissions.
I am wondering even though the egr cable is unplugged does it still open because of the vaccum hose and if it is driving normal now will it still be better for the car if i install this modification?

This looks interesting and i'd also be keen to try on my 03 C220cdi.

GLOpro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 Mercedes C220cdi
E220 cdi, 2001, OM611.
Done it today and it works. Significantly less smoke, better BC consumption.
MAF is yellow/white, to pin 24 plug 4.
EGR 12v is red, going pin 50 plug 3.
EGR low is grey/black, going 37 plug 3.
In fact, the two EGR wires are easy to trace since they're twisted together and pin 37 is just above pin 50.
Thanks!

Would this be the same wiring for an OM611 on a W203 C220cdi?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom