Head gasket gone on my Astra. £800 repair bill.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
But what I done wrong?

You asked for advice Calum, everyone told you the price was almost double a sensible rate but you've carried on ignoring people's advice which you has asked for.

I recall exactly the same comments and genuine support offered before you bought this car and I seem to recall the Nissan before...

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Well I lost my bet with myself, I thought that the cam belt would get him before the head gasket failure. Though I do recall advising that all the rubber hoses should be replaced due to their age - a cause of many a head gasket failure....

The car has been cosseted all its life, spending most of its life in the garage especially over the latter years. It's hard to see how it will survive as a daily runner out in all the elements throughout the year. This was mentioned at the time..

Without wanting to appear to be the bringer of doom, I fear this may only be the start of a series of issues. I think all of our consciences are clear in respect of trying to talk Calumcco out of buying "classic cars" on a limited budget for daily use...

I do hope your luck picks up Calumcco

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Well I lost my bet with myself, I thought that the cam belt would get him before the head gasket failure. Though I do recall advising that all the rubber hoses should be replaced due to their age - a cause of many a head gasket failure....

The car has been cosseted all its life, spending most of its life in the garage especially over the latter years. It's hard to see how it will survive as a daily runner out in all the elements throughout the year. This was mentioned at the time..

Without wanting to appear to be the bringer of doom, I fear this may only be the start of a series of issues. I think all of our consciences are clear in respect of trying to talk Calumcco out of buying "classic cars" on a limited budget for daily use...

I do hope your luck picks up Calumcco

Thank you David! :)

*They are changing the cambelt as part of the head gasket repairs. Are cambelts closely linked to the function of head gaskets then?
The cambelt was only changed at 33000 miles, I am now on 36000.

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
cam belts are the equivalent to a timing chain on a MB. they are prone to stripping teeth or breaking at 30-36k miles at that age of car (they werent esigned for more)they relate to the head gasket longevity in no way whatsoever BUT use the water pump as the tensioner on that particular engine so if the pump isnt changed, especially after an overheat, id be worrying

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
cam belts are the equivalent to a timing chain on a MB. they are prone to stripping teeth or breaking at 30-36k miles at that age of car (they werent esigned for more)they relate to the head gasket longevity in no way whatsoever BUT use the water pump as the tensioner on that particular engine so if the pump isnt changed, especially after an overheat, id be worrying

A positive post Pete for our Calum :D:D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
A positive post Pete for our Calum :D:D

not sure about positive but honest, Malcolm. whilst i was working in a FORD dealers and was always a Ford person (hence going back to Ford when i couldnt fund an MB) My sister (5 years younger than me) was a Vauxhall fan at the time. as was my best mate (who now run Fords and Range Rovers respectively) so i had plenty of experience with the Vauxhall OHC engines, as well as the Fords. at the time they both pretty much had the same issues, except the CVH ford engine didnt have the tensioner on the water pump, the pinto engine had no issues even if the cam belt broke (it had clearance to not bend valves) whereas the vauxhall had both potential issues.
cambelt changes were usually done by turning the belt onto the pulleys without moving the tensioner (preventing water pump leaks) BUT a head gasket change meant the belt HAS to be re-tensioned so a water pump is pretty much essential on that engine

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is a main dealer. Very well known franchise.

Well it should be a good job then, I do wish that the new year looks up for you young man, with the car all good as well. :D:D

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Well it should be a good job then, I do wish that the new year looks up for you young man, with the car all good as well. :D:D

Thank you Malcolm. I hope so to. I just hope it's not the start of a catalogue of errors with my car :(
Lets just hope this rectify's the issue and then it lasts for many more years to come?
It's only done 36000 miles so there is no reason why I cant get at least 150000 miles plus out of this beauty.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you Malcolm. I hope so to. I just hope it's not the start of a catalogue of errors with my car :(
Lets just hope this rectify's the issue and then it lasts for many more years to come?
It's only done 36000 miles so there is no reason why I cant get at least 150000 miles plus out of this beauty.

And why not, there is not much else that could or should fail at that mileage.

Try and have a happy new year, do not be like me who does not want a happy new year :rolleyes:;);)

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
And why not, there is not much else that could or should fail at that mileage.

Try and have a happy new year, do not be like me who does not want a happy new year :rolleyes:;);)

36000 miles is very low for a 1991 model.
It should last for another 25 years yet! Especially if I can keep to another 36000 miles over the next 25 years.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When you have saved some more money do get the car waxoiled, this will stop it from rusting. It is not that expensive to have done.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
It is a main dealer. Very well known franchise.

You took a 25 year old car into a main dealer for repair??
I'm just astounded, I really am.

I just hope it's not the start of a catalogue of errors with my car :(

The error started when you bought it Calum. Despite everything said to you, all the great advice, you ignored everyone and did it your way.
Even yesterday I pointed out a bargain MB for less than half the amount you are throwing at this wreck but no, this old Astra is better. http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1353905&postcount=75

I'm sorry to be so dismissive Calum but you make mistake after mistake and then compound it by ignoring everyone. Other members probably think I'm being a right ba$tard saying this, but nothing ever gets through.

I guarantee you will have another problem, soon, with this car. It was a garage queen and now its expected to be your daily. It was never going to work and it still won't .
I wish you well with it and I'll stay completely out of your threads from now on as I can't help you. In fact I wonder if there is anyone here at all who can.

Peter G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 SL 350, 1989 Toyota Hilux, 1987 Fiesta XR2
Wasn't there a cylinder head cracking problem on this model Astra, or was it only the GTE?

Top Bottom