Head gasket gone on my Astra. £800 repair bill.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I really hope you've mentioned this to the garage and had some sort of pre-MOT inspection to confirm that it is likely to pass the MOT before spending 800 quid on the head gasket!

Nope, that'll be February's entertainment.

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
I've just suffered 18 pages, why did I read this, Now I have hair growing on my toes!
Will it ever be done as I'm 63 next month and need to know before I go.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
I really hope you've mentioned this to the garage and had some sort of pre-MOT inspection to confirm that it is likely to pass the MOT before spending 800 quid on the head gasket!

Oh hell. I didn't think of that.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Doesn't anyone have a landline anymore? :confused:

Got my phone back now by the way.
I am waiting for the garage to call me back this weekend once it has been repaired. I suppose it must genuinely be the head gasket otherwise why would they be keeping the car in there since December 29th ? Surely they would want the car gone if it was an easy fix? Why would they lie and keep it in their garage taking up space if they could have easily rectified the fault? They don't want cars lying around clogging up their garage!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Got my phone back now by the way.
I am waiting for the garage to call me back this weekend once it has been repaired. I suppose it must genuinely be the head gasket otherwise why would they be keeping the car in there since December 29th ? Surely they would want the car gone if it was an easy fix? Why would they lie and keep it in their garage taking up space if they could have easily rectified the fault? They don't want cars lying around clogging up their garage!

they do if they think they can charge £800 for something much easier, especially if they arent overly busy at this time of year.

of course its possible they are making sure that the issue is as unlikely as is possible to reoccur in the near future, possibly having to have the head machined or replaced by companies that may not be open between christmas and new year

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
they do if they think they can charge £800 for something much easier, especially if they arent overly busy at this time of year.

of course its possible they are making sure that the issue is as unlikely as is possible to reoccur in the near future, possibly having to have the head machined or replaced by companies that may not be open between christmas and new year

They mentioned having the head "sent off" to see if it needed skimming or replacing. Words to the effect anyway.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
most likely having it pressure tested , skimmed , new valve guides , possibly new seats etc etc etc .

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
And at that price it should come back with a new engine or possibly car attached.

Warrior

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 03 (Now changed for Jag XF 3.0D S), & Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 04 (SLK in Drag)
What a truly entertaining thread

Since I sold my Merc over two years ago i've only been dropping by occasionally, but i'm finding myself checking in every day now, just to see the latest instalment, it is so addictive, far better than Emmerdale :D

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom