Worth cleaning under your main battery in the engine bay?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Yeah that puzzled me, there are rubber seals that close up when you shut the bonnet! Somhow does so much get in there? :-/
Oh well it will last a couple more years lol

On mine there is the cowl top (scuttle), that has a big flexirigid rubber skirt which runs across the back of the engine and meets the tops of the front wheelarches with a fingered edge about 3" deep. Now, you can lift that up to access the volume behind it, but how does that bulk of leaves get in there? I just don't have an answer. They were everywhere!

I really need a clear weekend where I can spend with overalls, paintbrush and ACF50 giving both the beasts the good news. When I cleaned up the 211's engine bay, the amount of black cack that came off it filled up two of my big microfiber cloths, I ended up binning them, no way they could be reused. I don't think it'd ever been cleaned in its 200k miles of life.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I really need a clear weekend where I can spend with overalls, paintbrush and ACF50 giving both the beasts the good news. When I cleaned up the 211's engine bay, the amount of black cack that came off it filled up two of my big microfiber cloths, I ended up binning them, no way they could be reused. I don't think it'd ever been cleaned in its 200k miles of life.

A good de-greaser worked in with a detailing brush and light spray with a nozzle would do, this is how I did mine then dry off and coat in 303 and buff

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
A good de-greaser worked in with a detailing brush and light spray with a nozzle would do, this is how I did mine then dry off and coat in 303 and buff

I pulled off (;)) the plastic trim panels, sprayed ACF50 everywhere I could and just mopped up all the rubbish. They I laid the plastic panels against the wall and scrubbed them with warm water and a broom (now back to black). Engine castings got a good scrubbing with ACF50 and a nail brush; trim panels got a wipe down with the same stuff. It now looks presentable, but needa a much deeper clean as does the 215. I just need the time really.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I pulled off (;)) the plastic trim panels, sprayed ACF50 everywhere I could and just mopped up all the rubbish. They I laid the plastic panels against the wall and scrubbed them with warm water and a broom (now back to black). Engine castings got a good scrubbing with ACF50 and a nail brush; trim panels got a wipe down with the same stuff. It now looks presentable, but needa a much deeper clean as does the 215. I just need the time really.

Mine had never been done until I sorted it, needs doing again as the builders opposite our office seem to think dust and mud are fun :mad:

I de-greased then rinsed with a hose, really simple as I doubt it had ever been done before

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine had never been done until I sorted it, needs doing again as the builders opposite our office seem to think dust and mud are fun :mad:

I de-greased then rinsed with a hose, really simple as I doubt it had ever been done before

I actually thought the underside of the hood... bonnet had been sprayed black. No- just muck. Nice and gold now. I may get really sad and remove the NVH insulator to clean behind it one weekend :)

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG

Good grief, you're all at it. The 230 SL engine bay keeps itself fairly clean, something to do with the undertrays, I suppose.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good grief, you're all at it. The 230 SL engine bay keeps itself fairly clean, something to do with the undertrays, I suppose.

The 215 has undertrays and TWO SHOPPING BAGS FULL OF LEAVES, I ask you! Actually the 211 has undertrays too and it was really mucky.

But I'm repeating myself now ;)

When will the exhaust tips get taken off and polished Mark? :D

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 215 has undertrays and TWO SHOPPING BAGS FULL OF LEAVES, I ask you! Actually the 211 has undertrays too and it was really mucky.

No leaves in my undertray

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You might need some degreaser on it though...

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG

But I'm repeating myself now ;)

When will the exhaust tips get taken off and polished Mark? :D

Exhaust tips are grubby and proud of it craig

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Exhaust tips are grubby and proud of it craig

You 'orrible little man you. Two screws, some polish and a couple of rags, get on with it! ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It has been thought about ;-)

I've got a lot of car cleaning to do; I want to get the 211 and 215 both on a ramp, whip the undertrays off and give the underfloor a good antirust treatment on both; rear wheelarches need stripping out, rust rubbing off, rust preventative on and repainting; engine bays as already mentioned; the 211 needs some suspension work doing (bit clunky going over bumps- bushes I'd imagine); the 215 needs some interior trim removing and silent tape adding, some of it's a bit squeaky; all the leather needs Gliptoning; the 215 driver's bolster has a very small seam rip that needs fixing; the 211 needs a new jacking point block to replace the one that I ripped off going over a raised up block paver; and finally the 215 needs the rear bumper and wheelarch paint repair finishing off.

And I've got a shedload of gardening to do too.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom