Wiring loom

milly

Reaction score
I need to get a wiring loom for my 1994 E280 estate. Please could someone tell me exactly what I need to ask for, or, even better, the part number. I have been phoning around and no one knows what I am asking for...probably because I don't know myself!! I did read on this site that one could order from germany and save a quid or two. Can anyone advise me on this? A friend has just done the head gasket for me and now this needs doing...a common problem it seem. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
I need to get a wiring loom for my 1994 E280 estate. Please could someone tell me exactly what I need to ask for, or, even better, the part number. I have been phoning around and no one knows what I am asking for...probably because I don't know myself!! I did read on this site that one could order from germany and save a quid or two. Can anyone advise me on this? A friend has just done the head gasket for me and now this needs doing...a common problem it seem. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
It would help if you said which loom, engine wiring loom?;)

OP
M

milly

Reaction score
Sorry, my complete ignorance is showing....It is the engine wiring loom.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, my complete ignorance is showing....It is the engine wiring loom.

Give me your VIN number and ill look up the parts number for you. But remember im in China so 8 hours ahead of you chaps, and its now nearly midnight and going to bed.

OP
M

milly

Reaction score
WDB 1240882F288637
Thanks a ton

OP
M

milly

Reaction score
Very kind of you. Sleep tight....

Scop

Reaction score
Hi Milly - I have looked into getting one from Germany and after much searching I found a supplier called Speed-Autoteile (http://www.speed-autoteile.com), the loom doesn't appear on the parts list but if you email them with the part no they'll give you a price. Let me know what price you get as I didn't have the part no either.

PS wish I had a friend like yours !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It would help if you said which loom, engine wiring loom?;)

Is there any other part of the wiring or loom that ever needs replacing other than the engine loom. I for one would love to know.

Malcolm

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Mercedes sell the complete engine loom and they also sell a per-coil (or per-cylinder, not sure) replacement section from the ECU to the coil pack for cases when it's just this that needs replacing

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
milly

There are more than one engine wiring looms depending on the spec of your car ie. whether it has ASR for example.

So, the first step is to get the proper part number applicable for your car, and the only way to do that is to give the full VIN to the person in the Merc dealer parts dept. He MAY just ask you to clarify what features are on the car, so bear that in mind.

Ask for a discount price (remember VAT is added) and check availability and delivery time.

You could then ask Germany for a quote to compare.

The price is somewhere around £550 you'll find.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
milly

There are more than one engine wiring looms depending on the spec of your car ie. whether it has ASR for example.

So, the first step is to get the proper part number applicable for your car, and the only way to do that is to give the full VIN to the person in the Merc dealer parts dept. He MAY just ask you to clarify what features are on the car, so bear that in mind.

Ask for a discount price (remember VAT is added) and check availability and delivery time.

You could then ask Germany for a quote to compare.

The price is somewhere around £550 you'll find.

ASR was introduced in 1991 and soon became standard, this being a 94 car it should be on it.

Malcolm

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Hi there,

I had issues with my wiring loom.

I was quoted £1,200 from MB.

I got a 2nd hand loom from www.dronsfieldmercedes.co.uk I paid £300

All I needed was the VIN number, parts number, and the model and make I think. They sent it to me quickly and a mechanic fitted it in for me!

MY E280 has also had it's loom done, and head gasket, now watch out for your petrol leak, like mine has now :(

Last edited:

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Please excuse my tiredness, I've just realised the post was about my ECU, I rememeber they repaired the Loom. I didn't have to buy one.

So many problems so confused..

You would understand if you'd been up since 6 on monday, all night monday, and all day tuesday :)

Anyway, I wouldn't drive it as the loom caused my ECU problem!!

Last edited:

Hurm

Reaction score
Loom Price

Im still looking for a loom for mine. I did get a 2nd hand one but its the wrong one and Im a bit loathe to cut it up for spares anyway MB quoted me £592 plus vat for a loom and they wouldnt give me the part number either......go figure. Anyway if anyone has the ability to look up the correct part number for the loom it would be appreciated,
WDB1240882F239289 1993 280TE no cruise, no asr, air con fitted.
Before someone says the part number is on the loom just behind the battery, turnip and son who did the original (abysmal) repairs kindly removed the part numbers!

Thanks all

OP
M

milly

Reaction score
Hi all. I have attempted to attach a picture of the mess under my bonnet. The loom has not been removed yet, as you will see, but it has been opened up to reveal a mass of crumbled wires.
Does anyone know what you get with a new wiring loom. Does it cover everything. I ordered a loom repair kit but it only had the bits that go to the coils. It looked like three bits of wire plus socket type things at the end and cost £110.:shock: and did not have the part of wiring I needed.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 58

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Out of curiousity, how many miles has yours got on the clock Milly?

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Is there any other part of the wiring or loom that ever needs replacing other than the engine loom. I for one would love to know.

Malcolm
Absolutely correct Malcolm, however I did not know it the car had an accident, this could involve a different loom. Note I did say engine loom?;)

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Hi milly, I forgot to take my computer to work this morning, so your VIN is on my Laptop and the EPC (electronic parts catalogue) for Benz is on my office Computer. Sorry will get the part number in the morning.:mad:

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
milly

The new engine wiring loom covers absolutely everything. A total of approx 23 feeds and plugs to various components and sensors.

Ask the dealer to take the tails back and order the proper loom.

Just give the VIN to the dealer.

ASR was never standard on the W124 range of cars as mentioned by Malcolm
in a previous post.

Hurm

All Merc dealers will print off a quotation for you if you go into the parts dept. The quote lists your VIN and the appropriate part number for the quoted item. Obviously take your VIN into the parts desk and ensure he keys it into his computer.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom