LED main beams - legality and effectiveness

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Not technically an MB one this, but interested in peoples opinions. I've been toying with upgrading the main beams on my wife's Renault. It has separate main beam and dipped beam elements to the headlight, each with an H7 bulb. I've put Philips Xtreme in the dipped beams, and a bit of an improvement, however for the main beam, I was considering LED H7s instead of a second pair of Philips. Obviously can't use LED in the dipped beam as the beam pattern would be out and risk dazzle to other drivers, but main beam light is relatively uncontrolled, so:

1) Is it legal to fit LED lamps in the main beam?

2) Does anyone have experience of these and know if I'm likely to get any benefit over both the current (look to be "budget") fit, or a second pair of Philips Extreme?

Thoughts / Comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Bill

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
In answer to your questions:
1. No. That said who'd care as the high beams will dazzle just as much no matter what bulb is fitted.
2. Given the 'quality' of cheap LED replacement bulbs you're probably better off fitting H7s.
The other thing to bear in mind is you'll probably need to modify the headlight to get LEDs in. Sometimes it needs different holder or a hole cut in the waterproof sealing cap.

Wabby

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY17 C250d Coupè
Other half's Qashqai passed MOT no problems with LED dipped and main beam lights in. She has projector lenses though in the dipped which may well make a big difference to non-projector.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Other half's Qashqai passed MOT no problems with LED dipped and main beam lights in. She has projector lenses though in the dipped which may well make a big difference to non-projector.
Passing an MOT does not make them legal. Nor does it stop your insurance being invalidated if it's deemed they were a contributing factor.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Passing an MOT does not make them legal. Nor does it stop your insurance being invalidated if it's deemed they were a contributing factor.

Dazzel, I believe research in USA indicate these ultra bright headlight are a contributing factor in the increase in accidents. High rise Range Rovers etc are particularly bad.

Reactions: M80

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
My endure bike has a h7 and its not that great when it starts getting dark out on the trails..
I bought h7 led with hi/lo beam..
Wow, what a huge difference.. With the light shining against a wall the beam pattern is the same as the old halogen lamp and no apparent diffusion of light outside of the cut off area...
As lostkiwi has mentioned, they have a cooling fan so do protrude out more at the rear..
I think technically if the lens or lamp doesn't have the relevant E markings then they are not street legal, although everything from china seems to be " certified" nowadays so impossible to know whats real and what is not.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I tried LED bulbs before , yes they were brighter but quite frankly I could see bugger all once out on the road , they were projector lenses too

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My endure bike has a h7 and its not that great when it starts getting dark out on the trails..
I bought h7 led with hi/lo beam..
Wow, what a huge difference.. With the light shining against a wall the beam pattern is the same as the old halogen lamp and no apparent diffusion of light outside of the cut off area...
As lostkiwi has mentioned, they have a cooling fan so do protrude out more at the rear..
I think technically if the lens or lamp doesn't have the relevant E markings then they are not street legal, although everything from china seems to be " certified" nowadays so impossible to know whats real and what is not.
To put it simply, if it uses a halogen bulb base like H4, H7, H1 etc it cannot be legal if it uses any technology other than halogen as the UNECE regulations used to define the standards also define also define the construction of the bulb.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Main beam is the one that needs least improvement in one sense as it is set to give the most light anyway. I've got night breakers in both mine and the light is good.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I'm with Yugguy on this - but then we drive very similar cars! Checked my history file yesterday, my NB Unlimiteds in dip beam (on whenever driving) lasted 15 months, when 1 failed I replaced both with the NB+ i'd replaced with the Unlimiteds 15 months earlier, don't know how old those are but they're still going strong, 12 months later!

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
If it passes an MOT it's legal whether it's got the correct approval or not.

Who else is going to check? Nobody.

Who is going to blame light bulbs in the event of an accident? Nobody.

I had 2 nightbreakers fail within a week of each other. They had been in for 5 years.

Replaced with nightbreaker unlimited for £15 a pair with next day delivery off Amazon.

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
If it passes an MOT it's legal whether it's got the correct approval or not.
Not correct. MOT does not test the legality of the bulb just the light pattern. The tester isn't able to tell what bulb is fitted because they're not allowed to pull things apart to check.

Who else is going to check? Nobody.
The police if you dazzle them when driving ... or they just feel like pulling you for fun.

Who is going to blame light bulbs in the event of an accident? Nobody.
The person that crashes into you head on because you blinded them and they couldn't see where they were going

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The police if you dazzle them when driving ... or they just feel like pulling you for fun.
VOSA may also check if they suspect something doesn't look right and they are out all over the place checking commercial vehicles.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
VOSA may also check if they suspect something doesn't look right and they are out all over the place checking commercial vehicles.
The SMMT are now studying what is correctly known as Blue Light Hazard. One of the issues is the design of new production cars, another is the application of aftermarket tech in the vehicle lighting arena.

The point is that the automotive industry is now recognising light dazzle as an issue. How long before that passes into legislation....?

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
MOT does not test the legality of the bulb

Correct. Got a pass? Good to go.

The police

What police?

The person that crashes into you head on because you blinded them and they couldn't see where they were going

Show me evidence of that actually happening, court case number etc.

Internet hypotheticals vs reality, nobody cares, there are no police checking bulbs, all discussions around LED headlight bulbs on forums generate more heat than a poorly cooled LED and much less illumination.

I think we all agree if a person is driving about with poorly installed bulbs which cause issues for other drivers - and they are legion - they are a knob.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
nighteye 20 quid a pair 6k (coz idiots don't do 5k), passive heatsink 3 year guarantee, you will need 10mm more clearance behind them vs the stock bulbs. For driving safety will be twice the effect of a xenon headlamp unit upgrade... illegal - much frowned upon here - but provide half the glare of Mercedes !!! and 70% of the glare you get with a BMW …. when both running their "legal LEDs"

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nighteye 20 quid a pair 6k (coz idiots don't do 5k), passive heatsink 3 year guarantee, you will need 10mm more clearance behind them vs the stock bulbs. For driving safety will be twice the effect of a xenon headlamp unit upgrade... illegal - much frowned upon here - but provide half the glare of Mercedes !!! and 70% of the glare you get with a BMW …. when both running their "legal LEDs"
Glare quantified how?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
My son has the new E53 AMG Coupe and says he is getting flashed with his (LED) ILS. He also has a Q7 also some sort of smart LED (used on the same roads) which has never given him a problem. I have ILS (LED) in the SL and have never been flashed - makes one wonder.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Insurance companies do check bulbs these day in a claim should lights be questioned, for example someone driving the opposite direction is blinded by headlamps, they vear off and hit something, they make a claim and as they have dash cam footage showing the oncoming cars number plate that car is investigated by the required authorities, aftermarket LED bulbs are found, car is impounded, insurance is voided and owner is liable for all legal, repair and injury costs, total costs in excess of £55k.
The above is a true story, I cannot give exact details as I work for the company that did the investigation but basic information of this case has I believe been published to insurance companies.

Pay your monies and take your chances, I know what I'd do as I can't afford tens of thousands in costs

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I’d be interested to see that tested in an integrating sphere and goniophotometer. Methinks too much of the marketing kool-aid has been imbibed.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom