Power steering, C220, S203, heavy while moving

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Please please please don't tell me I have a new issue now with the power steering?!!!
Went to move the car now the fog lights are both working to make sure she was ready now for the Mot (booked in for Monday 04/11/2019), and noticed that the steering was very heavy. That was the day before yesterday. Have just lifted the front up to do the re-syncing of the power steering and even though the wheels were clear of the floor they were still heavy to turn. Double checked the reservoir and it was a creamy beige colour. Now, when she was Mot'd last year there was an advisory on the noise the steering was making on full both ways. And I was aware of this noise but thought it was just the fluid that needed topping up. What test is on the Mot and would a pre drive around the nearby private estate free up the steering or do I have a deeper issue here?
I am praying that it isn't something major with the steering. I NEED her back on the road again. My finances cannot take any more.
If photos are required, I will now do that tomorrow morning.

Delete please. Posted in wrong place!!! Sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Please please please don't tell me I have a new issue now with the power steering?!!!
Went to move the car now the fog lights are both working to make sure she was ready now for the Mot (booked in for Monday 04/11/2019), and noticed that the steering was very heavy. That was the day before yesterday. Have just lifted the front up to do the re-syncing of the power steering and even though the wheels were clear of the floor they were still heavy to turn. Double checked the reservoir and it was a creamy beige colour. Now, when she was Mot'd last year there was an advisory on the noise the steering was making on full both ways. And I was aware of this noise but thought it was just the fluid that needed topping up. What test is on the Mot and would a pre drive around the nearby private estate free up the steering or do I have a deeper issue here?
I am praying that it isn't something major with the steering. I NEED her back on the road again. My finances cannot take any more.
If photos are required, I will now do that tomorrow morning.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
“Creamy beige” sounds like you’ve water in your power steering fluid... was the cap off or loose when you went on your engine cleaning spree?

I’d get the fluid drained and changed ASAP.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Also, no need to post the same question in multiple threads across the forum. It makes it confusing for members to respond.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
“Creamy beige” sounds like you’ve water in your power steering fluid... was the cap off or loose when you went on your engine cleaning spree?

I’d get the fluid drained and changed ASAP.

Nope definitely not!!
Okay. Will do. Now, do I need Mercedes-Benz approved power steering fluid or will the Halfords one I already have suffice?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know. I made a mistake.

No problem, press the “report” button and a friendly neighbourhood mod (or even me...:rolleyes:) will clean up for you.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
No problem, press the “report” button and a friendly neighbourhood mod (or even me...:rolleyes:) will clean up for you.

Okay. Will do. So please can you answer me in the correct area?
Apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And now I cannot find it.

This is it... I merged the threads into the steering section

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I believe I would be replacing all the fluids in the car just to be on the safe side....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure on what you’ve bought from Hellfrauds, you’ll need the correct MB spec power steering fluid. I don’t know what you’ll need, there’s many a member on here that will be able to advise you the correct spec.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I believe I would be replacing all the fluids in the car just to be on the safe side....

Yes I agree however just want to get her through the Mot first. Surely just changing the power steering fluid will be okay until after Monday?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Power steering fluid is usually Dexron II transmission fluid.
It should be red in colour (except s210s or anything with self leveling suspension where it's often green). Definitely should NOT be beige. I'd fill and flush and refill.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Power steering fluid is usually Dexron II transmission fluid.
It should be red in colour (except s210s or anything with self leveling suspension where it's often green). Definitely should NOT be beige. I'd fill and flush and refill.

Okay. In the American version of the owners manual I found 'Pentosin CHF 11S' fluid. However I will look for the Dexron now. Thank you LostKiwi.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Okay. In the American version of the owners manual I found 'Pentosin CHF 11S' fluid. However I will look for the Dexron now. Thank you LostKiwi.

If it says CHF 11S that's what you should use.
About £8 per litre from ECP. Halfords also do it.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Certainly your fluid sounds horrible, so - as said - you need to change it.

The next bugbear will be air in the system. You can purge the air by first turning the steering lock to lock with the engine off, topping up the level as it goes down, then doing the same with the engine running.
If the level rises after you have switched off and it has cooled, this will tell you that there is still trapped air in the system.
Purging the air is a steady process requiring patience.
Hope it all works out for you before the Mot.

Look on the bright side. You got so much water everywhere when you pressure washed your engine, that you won't need to top up your washer bottle for the Mot!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Certainly your fluid sounds horrible, so - as said - you need to change it.

The next bugbear will be air in the system. You can purge the air by first turning the steering lock to lock with the engine off, topping up the level as it goes down, then doing the same with the engine running.
If the level rises after you have switched off and it has cooled, this will tell you that there is still trapped air in the system.
Purging the air is a steady process requiring patience.
Hope it all works out for you before the Mot.

Thank you umblecumbuz. Yes I hope so too.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Afternoon people.
I have a bit of a difficult situation here. The only other transport is my girlfriend's car to get to any sort of car supply place. And she doesn't allow anyone else to drive that car so we have to go together.
I have taken the car around the private estate this morning to see if the steering might improve. It didn't. It was like lifting weights at the gym. Very very stiff.
I am tempted to ask Halfords Autocentre, where it is booked in for the Mot tomorrow, to move the date to a date in December temporarily in order to diagnose why it is so heavy to turn.
I would like to hope that changing the fluid is going to solve it. Because the other option, well, a new pump is about £200 ish, a second hand temporary one I caged for around £30. And then it's the whole process of getting fluids out and changing over a pump. I must admit it was a warning last year on the Mot.
I stupidly ignored it.
So, I HOPE, that changing the fluid WILL help initially and allow me time then to deal with the pump afterwards. However I won't be able to get the fluid until tomorrow now. Hence changing the Mot date again.
Ideas/thoughts/opinions welcome, although bear in mind this has been a really tough time for me this year both mentally and financially.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
.... I must admit it was a warning last year on the Mot.
I stupidly ignored it.
So, I HOPE, that changing the fluid WILL help initially and allow me time then to deal with the pump afterwards....

That's new information, and because the Mot advisory was made before your adventures with water, I now suspect that changing the fluid - although necessary - is not the answer to your stiff steering. More is involved, so it's worth checking the tension of your drive belt first, and then prepare yourself to change the steering pump if there is no change from these measures.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom