Driving Style and Autobox Wear

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Unfortunately the last couple of days I have killed quite a few flies, what if your brake lights are LEDs? :rolleyes: :p

I will have to do a check to see if LEDs kill less flies than bulbs:idea: :roll:

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
I will have to do a check to see if LEDs kill less flies than bulbs:idea: :roll:

...kill fewer flies...

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've just finished reading the spelling and grammar thread!! :rolleyes:

No harm meant, I assure you!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
...kill fewer flies...

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've just finished reading the spelling and grammar thread!! :rolleyes:

No harm meant, I assure you!

You are correct, I can see that I will be answering in "Widows Word" before long and pasting the answers.:-( :-( I will not sleep tonight now:(

Glenn Smith

Reaction score
Hi, I started this thread so maybe I should try to finish it. Here's what I think I've learned:
1. Leaving the box in D very probably heats up the transmission fluid. I don't know if this is a problem or if it produces wear. I suspect the box is designed to cope with this.
2. Moving from D to N and back again results in parts moving which must result in wear. Whether this is significant or not is not clear. I suspect the box is designed to cope with this. It is designed to cope with high speed manual gear changes afterall.
3. There are quite a few driving situations when you must (to pass the driving test) disconnect the power from the transmission and brake the car by a means other than the service brake. Ie use the parking or handbrake.

So, when it is safe to do so I'll leave the box in D and use the service brake When it's not safe I'll put it in N and use the parking brake. Probably.

Kevin

Well said, as i said it's a matter of personal choice, i also use a mixture of both depending upon situation without regard for the "wear and tear" or the extra fuel consumption. Some here are determined to justify why they leave in D allways, my other half leaves in D simply because she doesn't know where the park brake is! After an RAC driving course (who insisted on using the method above) she now knows where the park brake is, but still can't be arsed to use it.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
To drift back to the subject

The safety aspect of using the handbrake, as applied to driving tests and ROSPA style rules, I suspect was designed for manual transmission cars. Technically, there is a moment when you move your right foot from the brake to the throttle, and the clutch is in, the car is not controlled. It can roll, be shunted and there's nothing you could do. On an incline, it could roll back. Sittting with your foot on the clutch, it makes sense to go into neutral. Clutch mechanisms can break, suddenly applying power to the wheels and firing you into oncoming traffic. The wear on a clutch is increased significantly when the pedal is held. All makes perfect sense and I admit, in a manual, I'll drop into neutral and pop the handbrake on far earlier than I would in an auto.

However, for those of us with 'proper' gearboxes, I stay with the view that it has no merit whatsoever. I agree, there probably isn't a real downside in either direction either, but unless I know I'm going to be stationary for 2+ mins, I'll keep the brakes on and the lever at D. With SBC, I tend to keep the brakes on anyway. Merc parking brakes are crap anyway and I can't remember the last time I bothered to use it! P does the job far more effectively.

psmart

Reaction score
However, for those of us with 'proper' gearboxes,
...how can you justify a device which is fundamentally flawed as ´proper´? It was designed for lard-ass Americans who payed less than a dollar a gallon! When the auto-box becomes as efficient or better than a manual, then its earnt the term ´proper´!

One 'box that hasnt been brought up is the sequentronic in my C! As long as your pressing the brake, the clutch is disengaged! Let go of the brake, gear is engaged with automated clutch action!

I own all three (3 vehicles are manual, 1 is Sequentronic, 1 is Auto).... in the Auto Im a lard-ass American, cant be bothered to take out of D, in the sequentronic Im a lard-ass Englander, cant be bothered to take it out of gear, but the computer does it for me, in the manuals.... well, I have to become a 'proper' driver.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just think, this subject will come up again in around August,September and start all over again, it could start with " Am I wearing out my Brake pedal by sitting in D at the lights" :roll: :roll:

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Just think, this subject will come up again in around August,September and start all over again, it could start with " Am I wearing out my Brake pedal by sitting in D at the lights" :roll: :roll:

So?.......What if it does!!........no-one is forcing you to read or respond!!! :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And the ability to distinguish between the two? :idea:

Exactly, it it the imagination of some answers on this thread, no fact whatsover

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
The highway code and roadcraft both say put it in neutral and apply the parking brakes, so I do so.

In drive the engine will be supplying power into the box in drive whilst stopped, this will heat up the cooling system (and the world) and waste fuel which you have paid for.

If in drive you are tupped up the backside hard enough the torque convertor will not be able to absorb the energy and may suffer damage to one of its three turbines. It is unlikly that this will help retard the speed of the vehicle that just hit you as much as the parking brake (a legal requirement remember) would do.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The highway code and roadcraft both say put it in neutral and apply the parking brakes, so I do so.

In drive the engine will be supplying power into the box in drive whilst stopped, this will heat up the cooling system (and the world) and waste fuel which you have paid for.

If in drive you are tupped up the backside hard enough the torque convertor will not be able to absorb the energy and may suffer damage to one of its three turbines. It is unlikly that this will help retard the speed of the vehicle that just hit you as much as the parking brake (a legal requirement remember) would do.

Any proof, fact incidents or figures to back anything thing, just one single case of fact would do, about heating and energy whilst stopped at the traffic lights.

Why do not cars with "HOLD" and "STOP" devices heat up, they use the same box, please explain

since there is no lock up D stopped, nothing would happen in a shunt, other that the fact that your car would be a write off, if hit that hard, so hardly a problem

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Why in my 47 years of driving only autos has none of this ever happened to me, and at least 300 of my cars have been auto.

In the USA no one moves the gear shift ever. go and ask the question on Benzworld or MB world

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Proof of the extra load is listed in many of the previous post, the engine moves on its mounts as you select D.

To sum up

PUT IT IN NEUTRAL AND APPLY THE PARKING BRAKE.

I keep repeating this because I have a serious neck iunjury caused by some fool who did not do it and when some other fool hit his rear he hit me hard.

P.S. brake lights on unnesescarily at a junction can cause dazzle to the vehicle behind, this is an offence under section 27 of the road vehicle lighting regulations.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Proof of the extra load is listed in many of the previous post, the engine moves on its mounts as you select D.

To sum up

PUT IT IN NEUTRAL AND APPLY THE PARKING BRAKE.

I keep repeating this because I have a serious neck iunjury caused by some fool who did not do it and when some other fool hit his rear he hit me hard.

P.S. brake lights on unnesescarily at a junction can cause dazzle to the vehicle behind, this is an offence under section 27 of the road vehicle lighting regulations.

You have still missed the point about HOLD and STOP systems, please explain why they are different yet use the same box, or why no one does what you say in the USA

You read my post 37 its a whole lot more than engine mounts

psmart

Reaction score
This thread is getting stupid, more about attacking others values, freedom of choice and thought!

We need a current automotive design engineer to put the final facts down.

For my part, amongst my qualifications, I hold a BTEC in Technology, engine theory being one of the components. It was a ****** long time ago that I learnt, so I am always open to be corrected.

Roll on automotive engineer and sort out this thread once and for all!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom