What non MB SUV?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Most of the Range Rover owners I know have had persistent problems.

Looking at the mighty Japanese rivals sends them into a cold shudder.

I liked a few-year-old X5 but that had just had some significant engine work at BMW.

A friend rates her Audi Q5 and she has had a lot of nice cars all from new.

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
There’s probably a reason the Kia Sportage is said to be the best selling SUV. We’ve a 1.6 diesel and it swallows loads for tip runs, Uni runs, and it cleans up for my intermittent commute. Leather, air con, massive sun roof and a JBL stereo system. Oh and the 7 year / 100k no quibble warranty is quite nice too.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
That 7 year warranty is the game changer.

Compared to the fudge with the Audi I mentioned above I can see the draw.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
There’s probably a reason the Kia Sportage is said to be the best selling SUV. We’ve a 1.6 diesel and it swallows loads for tip runs, Uni runs, and it cleans up for my intermittent commute. Leather, air con, massive sun roof and a JBL stereo system. Oh and the 7 year / 100k no quibble warranty is quite nice too.
When I was at Ford Motor Co. selling ex daily rental vehicles 30 plus years ago the offerings from Kia were just a joke, they made absolute peanuts at auction. Boy, have they come a long way since then o_O

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
When I was at Ford Motor Co. selling ex daily rental vehicles 30 plus years ago the offerings from Kia were just a joke, they made absolute peanuts at auction. Boy, have they come a long way since then o_O
I think it was around 2009 they head hunted one of the top guys at Audi for interior design. It’s a genuine nice place to sit now. 5A17ED19-37B2-4D18-A7D7-0DD6CDB50E98.jpeg

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
A chap near me is on his third/fourth (not sure) there must be something in it he does a bit of towing as well

lewyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
My Mrs runs an XC40, I find myself picking up the keys for the Volvo most days. Quiet, comfortable, good tech and classless.

I wouldn’t choose the equivalent MB or BMW over it but am tempted by a Macan now that the Cayman is sold.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

So were many from the East but soon Datsuns and Toyota's were selling shed loads because they worked,
then came the Koreans to paraphrase that famous falklands report I saw them arrive and I counted them out .

You sat in a Datsun and the heater controls worked, it changed gear smoothly and ran like a sewing machine faultlessly, which now doesn't seem a deal it was then.

ICE was basic but worked.

I remove my rose-tinted glasses and remember the rust from the east, but they still ran.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Problem with them is that they’re so very good at what they do. Bit strange disliking something because it’s good, but that’s human nature - probably why I love my Land Rover so much - because it’s so bad…:rolleyes::oops::eek:
Land rover evolution. Mf tractor rolled down hill burst into shed it was rainin farmer thought good idea to keep it attach to tractor, came out of shed with land rover badge on it.
Best use I ever had was keeping my pasty on trans tunnel cover on r, r and wired onto top of exhaust manifold on l, r
I get that they were robust,, that they were agricultural in build . Unf, Whitworth and even metric on cars in late 80,,s? Air compressors pumping air into exhaust to meet USA regs, very back yard. As an apprentice I used to do seasonal overhauls on l, r, /r, r. Frankly I used to tackle a lot of strip downs with the gas axe! Oh I forgot on 110 u had to have arms like a chimp to reach the window winders as well.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I had demo in kia sportage not bad. I had dacia duster auto OK for money but very, lada , L rover inside. I demo, d Ford kuga as well put of when looking under bonnet, all looked a buxxer to get at. After which I bought ml250. 1st car in near 30byr to leave me stuck on drive ... Unfortunately so much these days is luck, or lack of it 50 quid filters as can't get heater element separate, 600 quid + to get adblue sensor. Body off to change rear upper engine oil seal on land rover discovery mk 3, 4 and v6 r rover I told .!!! Its all deliberate dtf in my view.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Except it isn’t deliberately designed to fail. It’s all designed to cost and to meet legislation + safety + emissions etc. Throw literally a million compromises together and you get a modern car. Otherwise we’d be driving a Morgan/ Unimog mashup ;)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Except it isn’t deliberately designed to fail. It’s all designed to cost and to meet legislation + safety + emissions etc. Throw literally a million compromises together and you get a modern car. Otherwise we’d be driving a Morgan/ Unimog mashup ;)
Understand Morgan to be pretty well built.? :what u appear to suggest is despite all the automotive advances. Makers can't make anything sensible to get at, or more economic to maintain .? Seemingly because of emissions sorry, I simply don't accept that. I don't think modern makers could make things much more aggro or costly to fix if they tried.
Want a 10 quid thermostat, buy a complete housing that it's moulded into. That's b/sxxt. By what std is that a consumer, or sensible design, unless the idea is to lead the consumer into a more expensive cul de sac. And how does such policy fit in with recyclimg and carbon footprint ect
1 faulty wheel speed sensor triggers a car can't move situation b, s a dash message saying 1 failed, doing best with other 3 fix it ASAP. Now that wud be progress, and sensible. NO?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My Mrs runs an XC40, I find myself picking up the keys for the Volvo most days. Quiet, comfortable, good tech and classless.

I wouldn’t choose the equivalent MB or BMW over it but am tempted by a Macan now that the Cayman is sold.
Volvo started to design cars for the roads we have, rather than the roads we wish we had. Makes a huge difference

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Been tempted by volvo once or twice. But fear the bungie attach to mb and volvo dealers prob similar these days.

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
Lexus make a nice SUV
I occasionally steal my sisters RX350 (I think one of the last non-hybrids they made). I can’t imagine a car being more comfortable. The V6 makes a pleasant growl.

Not cheap to run with £2/l and the highest tax bracket though. Seems to average 22mpg on runs my diseasel Merc does mid to low 50’s on. I don’t even like SUV’s but I would think about buying one of it weren’t for that. It really is a lovely thing to plod about it.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom