1st attempt with veggie oil

hrd123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Vegetable oil in w211 E220 Cdi

Costco are selling veg oil at around £1 / litre.. Does anyone know if it is safe on the engine to mix with normal diesel @20% mix ratio ???

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
think the cdi is not the best in fact acording to the reserch i did it not reccomended at all for running on veg oil, something to do with the presures and the pump not being up to it . but i am shure someone on here will let you know better than me .

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
Costco are selling veg oil at around £1 / litre.. Does anyone know if it is safe on the engine to mix with normal diesel @20% mix ratio ???

NO.

go to the veg forum link i linked to in a previous post on this thread and read up before you tip anything other than forcourt diesel in your car.

Angeloj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK270CDI Avantgarde
It would be good to buy even at 83p per litre when it is done correctly, I wonder if there are any suppliers in Manchester.

83p per litre is 54p per litre cheaper than morrisons diesel lol

Problem with me is that all my driving is all town driving and my return must be something around 27mpg and its auto, I know on the motorway at 60mph the fuel will last forever.

PLEASE< PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT use supermarket fuels in your cars, they make them run like shizzle!! My mate's sprinter van has just had to go in for an expensive fuel related repair (not sure what yet) due to him using morrisons diesel! His mechanic (and mine) have always said supermarket fuels are not as good as Shell for example. I know this must be the case because my old Volvo 850 and E39 beemer used to run like crap on them! SO now i ONLY use Shell!!

Just a friendly word of warning!!

Jono

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Steve, would it be possible for you to provide me with a link to the kit you bought please, pm if you don't wish to advertise it on here. T.I.A.

Certainly.

http://oilybits.com/

I met the owner of this company as he is based not to far from me in Shaftesbury. He is the most inteligent and helpful chap. Gave me lots of advise, hints and tips and was so much more than selling his products. Cant recommend him highly enough. Has a good rep on the vegoil forums as well.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes

Do not put SVO in your CDI. You will wreck it for sure. You can run CDI up to 70% bio but only if you introduced gradually but it needs to be the purest of the pure. The guy who runs oilybits runs an 08 Toyota Hilux CDI on 80% bio after he introduced it gradually to his car.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
PLEASE< PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT use supermarket fuels in your cars, they make them run like shizzle!! My mate's sprinter van has just had to go in for an expensive fuel related repair (not sure what yet) due to him using morrisons diesel! His mechanic (and mine) have always said supermarket fuels are not as good as Shell for example. I know this must be the case because my old Volvo 850 and E39 beemer used to run like crap on them! SO now i ONLY use Shell!!

Jono

Most fuels come from the same refinerys around the UK do they not??

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d

Jono
always use supermarket fuel when i can , why not . all this poor quality supermarket fuel causing engines to expire in clouds of smoke and costing an arm and a leg to repair is as far as i am concerned at best twaddle . it all comes from the same refineries and prossesed the same way .its cheap and the reason is to entice you into the shop , the other retail outlets dont like it so the rumours grow . i have never heared of anybody personaly that has ever had problems like are reported in the daily lie sheets , .as for one brand being better than the other its all your own preferance nothing else .i had a astra gte 2 litre 16 valve chipped up to hell ,and when that so called ferrari fuel came out cannot remenber the brand the super dooper type schumacer said he used yeh as iff .i put some in my astra expecting even better performance ,what happend the dam thing conked out next day was it the fuels fault no it just broke down. that used to get tesco fuel all the time and i had it 2 years never a miss

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90

Jono

What a load of tosh.

I know of a fleet of CDI's with 300-400k on them all ran on supermarket fuel with no issues. The chaufers fill up there to get the clubcard/nectar etc points.

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
i would have guessed that teco fill there delivery vans and there delivery wagons up with there own brand of fuel back at there base. and asda the same . how may of them do you see broken down

Tontastic

Reaction score
Website
www.tontastic.com
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDI 2001 ; C180 1999
I killed a perfectly good S plate E300TD by using veg oil. Car was a high miler, don't know if that was a factor but it killed the seals on the fuel pump, had to buy a replacement. Not cheap.

Last edited:

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
I killed a perfectly good S plate E300TD by using veg oil. Car was a high miler, don't know if that was a factor but it killed the seals on the fuel pump, had to buy a replacement. Not cheap.
i understand where some are coming from .but its hard to pin point what causes any mechanical failure with a high milage engine , or any highly stressed old mechanical componant . i have run my car on veg oil at 50/50 for no more than a couple of hundred miles i gave up as i dident think i was saving a great deal not worth the trouble .but if something went wrong could i put it down to the veg oil ,yes i supose i could but . its got the best part of 150k on its back that componant could have gone if i had never used the oil . .its had a compleate top end overhall not many thousand of miles ago nothing to say that head gasket or one of the new injectors wont fail .look at the facts, there are thousands of cars out there all running on veg oil in one form or other if a few have problems is it the fuel that caused it, who knows but all the others are ok . it up to each to choose .

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Most Merc small diesels will do shed loads of miles without a hiccup, I'm talking half a million+, all it needs is good servicing and regular oil changes I know, I've done it four times in a row so far in a W210, W201 AND 202 AND W 638 with another W638 CDi on 300k and still going strong.
All have used used supermarket fuel for most of their life.

I even had 200k miles out of an AUSTIN Montego 2.0 hls petrol engine till it was written off in accident with a drunk driver.

Its not the fuel its the owner or driver that usually kills an engine either through neglect or stupidity and I include incompetant garage mechanics in that statement as well.

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
look after it and it will look after you . if looked after these mercs will run on cod liver oil nevermind veg oil .mind you it would stink to high heavens ,cure them tailgaters though :lol:

rjevon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 CDi 2002
As ever, there's some very confused thinking from the users of comedy fuel.

Yes, the diesel engine cycle is tolerant of a wide variety of fuels, peanut oil included, BUT, YOUR engine was designed to run on fuel from the pump, as it says in the car's handbook.

The "cleaning" which goes on isn't cleaning as such - it's the stripping of the protective coat from the inside of the tank. Nice! The misfuellers like to believe that their magic fuel is cleaning the fuel system.

The thing which really gets me rolling on the floor laughing though is that when these misfuelled cars have trouble, be it seals failing, rings gumming, oil caremelising, MOT emission failures, fuel pipes blocking, filters blocking, etc, etc, it is played down, and more mugs are think that it's a good idea to use funny fuel, and that it's OK to run MBs on it.

I'm sure that if you don't have regular work to go to, you don't need your car to work reliably without comedy fuel related capers, and you aren't going to sell the ruined car on to an innocent, then, it's OK.

Like Juddian, I think that secondhand diesel MBs are now a serious hazard because many of them have now been misfuelled and damaged.

Here's a hint - in the car's handbook, it doesn't say that you should go to the chippy to get your fuel!

Comedy Fuel !!! The EU has dictated that a minimum of 7% of pump diesel has to be BIO. and in the next 3 years that will increase to 15% !!

Most manufactures are testing there cars on BIO and BIO / Pump diesel mixes and including such ratios in warranty details...

Also, many handbooks including Merc do state that a % of Petrol can be added in harsh winter conditions... This is still the case in some countries !! So please do not give me rubbish statements that the engine is only tested on Diesel, becouse the quality of diesel is different in many countries and all diesel engines are test to worse case !!

So before you quote fictional statements about a fuel that has been around probably longer than you, please do some reasearch and not just read a few posts from idiots making rubbish fuel or mixing up BIO with VEG !!

HTD

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
petrol alway used to be added years ago to derv as it was called .stop the waxing at low temps .mind you todays derv has addatives to stop that to a certain extent. mind you how many times do you smell the parafin smell on some car /van exhausts ive noticed it quite often . last winter caught many out with the so called frozen diesel many of my friends that have diesel motor homes that camp over the winter had problems . remember the waggons many years ago with fires lit under the fuel tanks .

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
So before you quote fictional statements about a fuel that has been around probably longer than you, please do some reasearch and not just read a few posts from idiots making rubbish fuel or mixing up BIO with VEG !!

HTD

If you care to check Number Cruncher's previous posts or if he replies you may well learn a lot.

I can't speak for him, and remember i'm ill informed....but, i don't personally care a jot what anyone puts in their fuel tank, so long as what comes out the exhaust doesn't kill me.

If someone can save themselves a shed load of fuel tax, which is the reason everyone is doing this including me with my LPG'd petrol car, then bully for them, that's great and i wish them every success.

The problem comes when ill informed members of the non bio fraternity wish to buy a used Diesel car of the older design for different reasons, simplicity being one, so long as the seller discloses the fact it's been run on alternative fuels then that's fine.

Oddly enough it's not something i've ever seen in a car ad though, i'd be very interested to see how the sale progresses when it happens.

Top Bottom