No longer at my Comand?

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I have been considering for many months what to do about my antiquated 2003 Comand system. The options in terms of upgrading the Comand system are limited and expensive for what is achievable.
To some extent I was forced into making a decision when just before a recent trip to Antwerp I dropped my TomTom onto the screen of the Comand unit causing screen damage. Stupid and clumsy but I should not have felt the need to be using the TomTom in preference to the in car system.
I now have an Alpine INA-W910R (google it if you are interested) installed in the car and it looks like this:

DSC02291.jpg

It has a 7" screen (many of you will have a false impression of what 7" really represents !!!***???) and does everything that I expect to want of it and a whole lot more and it is expandable (not the screen). Radio, CD, DVD, iphone, SD card, and most importantly Europe wide satellite navigation and fixed camera data base. This has allowed me to dispense with the B2 and tidy up/ declutter the interior of the car.
This decision was based on the fact that I intend keeping the car indefinitely and ultimately I had to go for function over form although I think it sits quite neatly in the car.
The cost was £1692.99 supplied and fitted including facia kit, mrp V70, lab Bose replacement and a wiring kit.
I now have surplus to requirements a Bose amplifier, 6CD changer and a 2003 Comand unit with a damaged screen.

I now have to find out how to use the 910 which is supposed to be largely intuitive !!!***???

Mic

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Nice one Mic..
I dont know why I feel surprised that you have splashed out on your car..
But i do..

You cant beat 7" (from what I hear)...

It looks like a very nice piece of kit and its a top notch make as well...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It does look OK Mic pleased it all went well is the sound good without the Bose

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice one Mic..

You cant beat 7" (from what I hear)...

I do not know any Tom Toms with a 7", but as Mic says he has got to learn to play with it, it should grow on him :cool:;)

OP
Mic

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
It does look OK Mic pleased it all went well is the sound good without the Bose

The sound is much improved.....retained the Bose speakers but had to upgrade the amplifier for reasons completely beyond my understanding......something to do with the need for 5 whatsits.

Mic

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Looks very good Mic ...

Somewhat expensive but as you say if you are keeping it then its cheap!

Any pictures/video of it switched on? Assume you lose the steering wheel controls to some extent?

Who did it?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The sound is much improved.....retained the Bose speakers but had to upgrade the amplifier for reasons completely beyond my understanding......something to do with the need for 5 whatsits.

Mic

Yes it would need an amp to drive the Bose speakers, so yes I can understand the sound is very good

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I now have to find out how to use the 910 which is supposed to be largely intuitive !!!***???

Mic

I think intuitive is great Mic, and it is amazing the extent to which we have got rid of instruction manuals these days, but sadly I find that my intuition is rarely in tune with the intuition of the guy who designed the machine!

Then, if there is no manual, you really are stuck. :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think intuitive is great Mic, and it is amazing the extent to which we have got rid of instruction manuals these days, but sadly I find that my intuition is rarely in tune with the intuition of the guy who designed the machine!

Then, if there is no manual, you really are stuck. :(

Even with me spending my life in electronics the comand 3 in my CL takes some working out, and I have the book and sneak down to try what I read the night before,, only to find that I have forgotten what I read the night before :(:(
Life can be unkind

OP
Mic

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Looks very good Mic ...

Somewhat expensive but as you say if you are keeping it then its cheap!

Any pictures/video of it switched on? Assume you lose the steering wheel controls to some extent?

Who did it?

Actually it was not only the best option, in my opinion, but by far and away the cheapest for what it delivers which is why I Posted the cost. I am advised that I will not lose the steering wheel volume controls but Italy is shut at present so Oxford Car Audio are awaiting specific instructions for this element. I did not buy ''telephone'' when I bought the car so the steering wheel telephone button will remain redundant.......the only missing element is steering wheel volume control which is not critical but I am assured that it will be sorted. All other functions function.

Another photograph?......tomorrow maybe.

Mic

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Photograph? Nooooo video it .... ..lets see how intuitive you found it.. ;)

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
That's a very neat install but I think the mis-match of materials would annoy me too much.

Having said that, the command unit annoys me too so it's a lose/lose situation from my point of view. I only use it for the AUX input to my iPhone though.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Looking good mic, you can show me how much you found out about using it. :)

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
MB Command is so dated when you see what other manufacturers are offering

Mice work Mic, looks the part

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's a very neat install but I think the mis-match of materials would annoy me too much.

Having said that, the command unit annoys me too so it's a lose/lose situation from my point of view. I only use it for the AUX input to my iPhone though.

The surround could be refinished to suit the car

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
As nice as your system may be I personally think the price is outrageous..
When you compare a google nexus tab (£159) and what that is capable of, compared to a ipad or any dedicated nav system then it surely becomes hard to justify the prices ?

Top Bottom