Warning - Newbie!

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
Joined the forum at the weekend, but despite asking a couple of questions in "Technical", have only just got around to introducing myself.

Ive recently bought a lovely black 2003 A210 Evoloution for my wife (she thinks its a bog standard A140...).
Its the first Merc ive owned since a C200 about ten years ago, as Saabs are my real passion (I have 3...).

Im a Service Advisor for a Vauxhall/Suzuki/Kia main dealer & we also have Range Rover/Land Rover, Renault & Mazda in the group.

Really love motorbikes & own a lovely pair of Triumphs at the moment.

I live near Bristol Airport & work in Barnstaple, N Devon, so will be using the A210 for commuting along with the bike (i stay in Devon during the week, so only commute on Mondays & Fridays).

Well, that me then. . . :D

GregMVF4

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E63 AMG S Estate, 2012 Panigale S Tricolore, 2016 SL400 Edition, '00 MVF4750, '07 MVF41000R,
Hello and welcome - nice to have another person with 2 wheeled interests as well as 4 :)

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Hello and welcome from me too. Sounds a lovely part of the country that you are in :D

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
. . . nice to have another person with 2 wheeled interests as well as 4 . . .

Ive always preferred two wheels to four.
You simply cant get the rush in a car that you do on a bike. Cars accellerate so slowly in comparason to a bike - a concept that most drivers of "fast" cars cant comprehend. . .

Had my first motorbike at the age of 4. . . am 55 now & have owned well over 150 different bikes. Probably as many cars, too, although i didn't learn to drive a car until i was 5!

My mum & dad said i should've been born with wheels instead of legs! :D

richyba

Reaction score
Website
www.4tours.biz
Your Mercedes
1978 T1 307D,2005 Slk200K,1982 300DSLC (honest!) & 1994 410d Camper
Welcome I have a 1999 Kawasaki W650 as well as my erm fleet, love it but its safely in the garage at the moment its b*st*rd freezing here, fickle I know! My W210 needs pads so I borrowed the boss' SLK for a spin to stealership this morning - oh it was toasty!:cool:

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
Thats quite a fleet Rich!

We only have the one Merc. . .
. . .along with 3 Saabs, a Mazda Bongo camper, a Corsa & the bikes - 2002 Daytona 955i & 2005 Sprint RS 955i.
Also a few other bikes in various states of assembly/dis-assembly. . . :D

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Hello and welcome. Also a fellow biker, ZZR 1400 in hibernation at the mo :D

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
. . . ZZR 1400 in hibernation. . .

Oooh nice. Just about THE fastest accellerating production vehicle on the planet. . . !

My Daytona's "sorn'ed" for the winter, but use the Sprint RS for my weekly 400 odd mile commute - although i didn't last week due to the floods. . . !

zars

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180 Avantgarde SE with Sports Pack (05, 1.8), Saab 9-5, Porsche 951, BMW E30 320i coupe
Saabs are my real passion (I have 3...).

Hi and welcome:) What Saabs do you have as I too am a huge fan. Have had the pleasure of owning a lovely classic 900 T16s, a 9000 aero (slightly modified;)) both which I miss dearly and a 99 turbo for a short while. Also a few standard 9000CD's and have broken a couple of 9k Carlssons (which I got a lot of stick for over on the Saab forums:lol:)

Currently have a 9-5 along with the Merc and my weekend toy a Porsche 951.
Would love to get another T16S!!

Zahid

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
I currently have a 2001 9-3 full pressure 5 door turbo, which is my daily driver, a 1999 9-3 light pressure turbo convertible & my pride & joy is a 2001 9-3 Aero Coupe with the High Output Turbo engine. Its been remapped by Noob & has an adjustable boost valve, lowered suspension with Koni's etc & lots of other mods.

I sold a 1988 T16 in the summer. Fab car, but only have room for so many toys. . .

Also had other 9-3s, 900s & a couple of 9-5s :D

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Oooh nice. Just about THE fastest accellerating production vehicle on the planet. . . !

My Daytona's "sorn'ed" for the winter, but use the Sprint RS for my weekly 400 odd mile commute - although i didn't last week due to the floods. . . !

Yes, 0 - 150 mph in under 10 secs. Top speed restricted at 186 mph! Insane. Have not maxed out mine yet though did max out my ZX 12 and ZZR 11

Youre a braver man than me riding through winter! :shock:

I havent sorn mine as I do enjoy the odd winter sunny day blat

Not owned a Triumph, the Daytona looks amazing :)

zars

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180 Avantgarde SE with Sports Pack (05, 1.8), Saab 9-5, Porsche 951, BMW E30 320i coupe
I currently have a 2001 9-3 full pressure 5 door turbo, which is my daily driver, a 1999 9-3 light pressure turbo convertible & my pride & joy is a 2001 9-3 Aero Coupe with the High Output Turbo engine. Its been remapped by Noob & has an adjustable boost valve, lowered suspension with Koni's etc & lots of other mods.

So 1 of each, nice:cool: My aero had all the mods, MapTun Stage 3 with lots of other engine/suspension upgrades. However 300+ bhp through the front wheels wasn't always great. V Max'd it on the autobahn on the way to the Nordschleife, easy 155mph+ :shock:

Wouldn't have the bottle to do it again now.

Anyway's, this might interest you, I'm tempted!

http://www.hughes-group.net/saab/af...12/Genuine-Saab-Alloys-at-Unbelievable-Prices

Last edited:
OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
Will have to post some pics when i figure out how. . . :Oops:

I think the fastest bike ive ever owned would be my modified Blackbird - also restricted to 186. It was one of the earlier carbed ones with stage 3 Dynojet, full Akrapovic, K&N, ign advancer to name a few mods.
I also had a modified GSXR1100WP on which i achieved a timed 191mph over a measured mile. Thats the fastest "genuine" speed ive ever been on a bike.

The Triumphs are great. Ive done the Japanese hyperbikes & litre sportsbike thing for years & to be honest, theyre a total waste of time on our badly surfaced, congested roads. You can never use one anywhere anymore, so theyre pretty hopeless.

I like musclebikes. Ive had several ZRX1100s & am a founder member of the ZRXOC.

Sorry for rambling. . . :lol:

OP
B

Bikesnoopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 A210 Evo
My aero had all the mods, MapTun Stage 3 with lots of other engine/suspension upgrades. However 300+ bhp through the front wheels wasn't always great. V Max'd it on the autobahn on the way to the Nordschleife, easy 155mph

Nice :D

My Aero ran 276bhp on the Dyno when the map was set up. Totally driveable & docile too. . . & i even get high 20s mpg on a run. . .
Also far too much power for a front wheel drive car though . . . wheelspin in third when overtaking is always a problem. . . & 300+ must've been er... entertaining through the front wheels!

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Will have to post some pics when i figure out how. . . :Oops:

I think the fastest bike ive ever owned would be my modified Blackbird - also restricted to 186. It was one of the earlier carbed ones with stage 3 Dynojet, full Akrapovic, K&N, ign advancer to name a few mods.
I also had a modified GSXR1100WP on which i achieved a timed 191mph over a measured mile. Thats the fastest "genuine" speed ive ever been on a bike.

The Triumphs are great. Ive done the Japanese hyperbikes & litre sportsbike thing for years & to be honest, theyre a total waste of time on our badly surfaced, congested roads. You can never use one anywhere anymore, so theyre pretty hopeless.

I like musclebikes. Ive had several ZRX1100s & am a founder member of the ZRXOC.

Sorry for rambling. . . :lol:

I used to wonder why bikes were restricted to 186 mph till I found out it equated to 300 kph . . . . . which sounds faster! :D

Though I rarely use my bike's power I enjoy riding it for its shear 'presence', especially with it's twin Yoshis :D

Roll on summer I say. Bike out, roof down on SLK. Oh Yeah! :D

zars

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep there were a few grip the wheel tight moments but you get used to them and the characteristics of the car over time.

I have to say as an all rounder the 9000 aero was definitely up there with the best of them. Great performance, very comfortable especially with those massive front seats and a great load lugger all in one. One of the let downs however I feel was the quality of the dash plastics and the accompanying creaking. Remedied however with a bespoke strut brace;)

I also had a bespoke intercooler made up from Allards. Fantastic bit of kit and much bigger and more capable then the standard one. Made a huge difference. As did getting rid of the CAT:lol:

I could go on..............

BTW I love the bike talk, would loved to have taken lessons etc, may still do.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom