Corrosion advisory on Mot on car I am hoping to buy!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I know what you mean, I have just sold my classic Ford, which had sailed through every mot for the last 10 years (apart from sill covers fitted) until a few years ago I took it to the local tyre place and they put down oil leak, brakes imbalanced, wheel bearings etc all as advisories. None of which they could show me there and then and it was never mentioned again even at the most strict places. Either jobs worths or too scared to pass something with no advisories.

It became so precious and the MOT so stressful each year that I sold it. Like you say, only has to have one mention of surface corrosion and the value plummets
I never go to Tyre Exhaust MOT stations, they are just looking for work.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
You can compromise on the condition of the tyres and brakes as they are easy to fix but bodywork and rust - just walk away

OP
NickyZ

NickyZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280slk
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hi everyone, update as promised.

Well, I tried to look beyond the high gloss, mint amg wheels and all the toys (10k's worth) and had a really good look underneath with an led torch. Had a good prod about, the only corrosion I could find was on the metal painted struts (?) which support the exhaust. It was flaky and the nuts were rusty but I had a good tap and looked solid. The exhaust had some light surface rust as you would expect on the centre pipe but the back boxes and the rest of the underside was all good.

The dealer had asked the mot station about what they had advised on it and was just that area, certainly not structural and looking at it I am hoping it can be cleaned and protected once the car is home and the weather drier. The bodywork is lovely as are the arches etc.

As for the rest of the car, it is amazing, 47k miles 9 stamps in the book. Amg factory body kit, sat nav, amg wheels, electric seats. Heated seats, air scarf. Harman kardon, plastic wind deflector (even with the carry case). 2 owners from new. Drives like a dream, out the roof to the test several times and did all the checks mentioned on here, couldn't find anything but no doubt time will tell.

It had an atf change in 2009 so I am guessing I will need to get that done but just been serviced with the correct grade of oil so (checked it too) so that's helpful.

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
View attachment 50666 View attachment 50667 View attachment 50668

Hi everyone, update as promised.

Well, I tried to look beyond the high gloss, mint amg wheels and all the toys (10k's worth) and had a really good look underneath with an led torch. Had a good prod about, the only corrosion I could find was on the metal painted struts (?) which support the exhaust. It was flaky and the nuts were rusty but I had a good tap and looked solid. The exhaust had some light surface rust as you would expect on the centre pipe but the back bozes and the rest of the underside was all good.

The dealer had asked the mot station about what they had advised on it and was just that area, certainly not structural and looking at it I am hoping it can be cleaned and protected once the car is home and the weather drier.

As for the rest of the car, it is amazing, 47k miles 9 stamps in the book. Amg factory body kit, sat nav, amg wheels, electric seats. Heated seats, air scarf. Harman kardon, plastic wind deflector (even with the carry case). 2 owners from new. Drives like a dream, out the roof to the test several times and did all the checks mentioned on here, couldn't find anything but no doubt time will tell.

It had an atm change in 2009 so I am guessing I will need to get that done but just been serviced with the correct grade of oil so (checked it too) so that's helpful.
Looks fantastic buddy , I bet you are beaming (as you should be !) . Update your location details with where you are and maybe someone can recommend one of our many good Indys in your area .
There is someone on this forum who will know almost any question from tyres to oil .

OP
NickyZ

NickyZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280slk
Looks fantastic buddy , I bet you are beaming (as you should be !) . Update your location details with where you are and maybe someone can recommend one of our many good Indys in your area .
There is someone on this forum who will know almost any question from tyres to oil .

Have done now, thank you. The advice I have received already is well worth the joining fee, what a great club!

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Looks fantastic glad you went ahead.
As for the extras what a Bonus especially the onboard ATM :D:D:D

Sorry couldn’t resist.

OP
NickyZ

NickyZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280slk
So should I get the gearbox fluid changed again even though it was at done 20k miles ago (at 27k miles) but it was 10 years ago. Am guessing it will deteriorate over that time?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
So should I get the gearbox fluid changed again even though it was at done 20k miles ago (at 27k miles) but it was 10 years ago. Am guessing it will deteriorate over that time?

Yes.

A nearby board supporter and highly recommended indie is MBS in Southampton. They'll look after you properly.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
:D Will probably need one now I have an slk!
We have had two 171's 200K's. The first a 2004 did 90K miles nothing went wrong. The second a 2010 on 45K miles now, & again nothing has gone wrong. Both being retired now & still having the two cars, it only does 3K a year now.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Lovely car OP and welcome to the club!

I love the R171 and would love to take a punt on one next year or so..

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Congrats, lovely looking car

Yes, it should be done EVERY 5 years, no matter what the mileage

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Seems like the type of R171 we would all look for. Well done. I'd be off to MBS for an ATF change and ask them to run an eye over her for you. I've never used them, but the reports on here are glowing. Have a search for examples.

OP
NickyZ

NickyZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280slk
Seems like the type of R171 we would all look for. Well done. I'd be off to MBS for an ATF change and ask them to run an eye over her for you. I've never used them, but the reports on here are glowing. Have a search for examples.

Thanks, I looked at MBS webpage last night, looks great and only about 9 miles from me.

Will be booking her in for sure for the atf change and checkover.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
im sure you will come up with something suitable , I like to name all my cars :)
So do I, but I'm not very original...:rolleyes:

index.php

Top Bottom