W204 front tyre shoulder wear... change from 225 to 235 width?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Mine do exactly the same it is purely down to the angle the steering geometry puts the wheels at.

I use Uniroyal RS5 tyres, good value so not too painful when you have to change them with tread left on

It's a lot to do with your right foot. I wish I had taken a picture of the front tyres of my old W204. After three years there was still plenty of meat on the outer edges and although I am not an aggressive driver I didn't do corners at walking pace. :rolleyes::) My W205 has now done 13,000 miles and again no feathering on the front tyres. And they are sh1t Nexen tyres too :eek:

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
It's a lot to do with your right foot. I wish I had taken a picture of the front tyres of my old W204. After three years there was still plenty of meat on the outer edges and although I am not an aggressive driver I didn't do corners at walking pace. :rolleyes::) My W205 has now done 13,000 miles and again no feathering on the front tyres. And they are sh1t Nexen tyres too :eek:
What size wheels did you have? This issue only seems to affect the 18 inch rims. edit: Or larger

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
What size wheels did you have? This issue only seems to affect the 18 inch rims.

19 inch 225 fronts and 255 rears :)

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
The current fronts on my V6 Diesel C207 are on 14K miles, they're Uniroyal Rainsports and although there is slight evidence of wear, it is slight, I reckon I will get another 10 to 12k out of them if they continue at the present rate.
The Continentals that they replaced gave approx 20k.
I have had the alignment and balance done several times though trying to erradicate a brake judder issue so I don't know if that has helped keep everything in tip top condition, you need to bear in mind just how bad our roads are for potholes too, so the wheels and tyres really take a pasting these days.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The current fronts on my V6 Diesel C207 are on 14K miles, they're Uniroyal Rainsports and although there is slight evidence of wear, it is slight, I reckon I will get another 10 to 12k out of them if they continue at the present rate.
I have had the alignment and balance done several times though trying to erradicate a brake judder issue so I don't know if that has helped keep everything in tip top condition, you need to bear in mind just how bad our roads are for potholes too, so the wheels and tyres really take a pasting these days.

So at the moment it is looking like Continentals are the better bet ?

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Every MB I have owned over the years have scrubbed the outer edge of the front tyres no matter what I do despite alignment checks (17” - 20”). The W164’s are both bad for it (19” & 20”). I tend to rotate front to back every 5k to help spread the wear.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Every MB I have owned over the years have scrubbed the outer edge of the front tyres no matter what I do despite alignment checks (17” - 20”). The W164’s are both bad for it (19” & 20”). I tend to rotate front to back every 5k to help spread the wear.

A bit awkward when you have staggered wheels though. As I said before I've not had that problem on any of the four MB's that I have had. :rolleyes:

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Indeed, I didn’t get away with it on the CLK or SLK but my 203 c class and the 3 ML’s didn’t have staggered fit.

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
Have you had the wheel bearings checked/tightened? This can cause brake judder if too much play

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seemingly much less of a problem on the W205/W213's than earlier models

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you had the wheel bearings checked/tightened? This can cause brake judder if too much play

Replaced both hubs and wheel bearings on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Replaced both hubs and wheel bearings on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the fixed or floating style calipers? We've always had judder from the 4 piston fixed calipers on our S Class with no joy to resolve. Pad deposits on the discs are usually the culprit though as these calipers seem sensitive to it.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you have the fixed or floating style calipers? We've always had judder from the 4 piston fixed calipers on our S Class with no joy to resolve. Pad deposits on the discs are usually the culprit though as these calipers seem sensitive to it.

Pad deposits, that was the eventual diagnosis, after I fitted the last set of new discs and pads and stopped using the "HOLD" feature on the brakes at junctions and traffic lights, the problem cleared up almost immediately, mind you I had fitted three new sets of discs and pads by then, both front hubs and wheel bearings, both front calipers, both front flexibrake hoses and rear discs and pads in my efforts to get to the bottom of it.

Needless to say, I have some spares now. :rolleyes:

I'm just glad that the car drives and stops as it should now, tbh it was driving me to distraction. I had seriously shopped around for a new car and came within a millimetre of replacing it. :shock: Stupid offers from dealers was all that stopped me.

OP
moj91

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pad deposits, that was the eventual diagnosis, after I fitted the last set of new discs and pads and stopped using the "HOLD" feature on the brakes at junctions and traffic lights, the problem cleared up almost immediately, mind you I had fitted three new sets of discs and pads by then, both front hubs and wheel bearings, both front calipers, both front flexibrake hoses and rear discs and pads in my efforts to get to the bottom of it.

Needless to say, I have some spares now. :rolleyes:

I'm just glad that the car drives and stops as it should now, tbh it was driving me to distraction. I had seriously shopped around for a new car and came within a millimetre of replacing it. :shock: Stupid offers from dealers was all that stopped me.

Damn, that's a lot of parts to work through! Hope youve managed to e-bay some of them!
After any fast stops, i always drop into neutral and pop the handbrake on to avoid pad deposits.
Have you tried ceramic pads at all? I'm not a fan of the spongy feel, but no deposit burn-on issues when i tried them.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Damn, that's a lot of parts to work through! Hope youve managed to e-bay some of them!
After any fast stops, i always drop into neutral and pop the handbrake on to avoid pad deposits.
Have you tried ceramic pads at all? I'm not a fan of the spongy feel, but no deposit burn-on issues when i tried them.

Luckily I work in parts supply, in the motortrade so, I paid cost price for most of it.

I was lucky enough to get the calipers from E-Bay for a song, another reason for sort of wanting to keep the car.

I've renewed so much, it would almost be a waste of money if I traded it in now, with insufficient return for my outlay. Plus what sort of history am I going to inherit on the next car?

Better to stick with what I have really. At least I know it's foibles. :)

I haven't tried ceramic pads, I've trained myself to drive around the "HOLD" feature/function and I suppose that'll do unless, the issue returns, then the ceramic pads will get tried.

Top Bottom