Bought Mercedes, duplicate service book..

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Well he was going on about how I am hurting his feelings because he and his colleagues have put a lot of work and effort into the car and now I am apparently looking for ways to hate the car . He said he just wants to end it all because he cannot be bothered with the hassle he is getting from me. I must mention that at the beginning of the whole deal, he did make sure I paid the deposit through PayPal and reminded me to tick the “goods” option because he said I would be protected that way.
He was also willing to sign and stamp anything I put in front of him as proof of purchase in the condition the advert sold the car.
I believe he probably didn’t know how big a deal the service book or lack of rather, was... oh well

Hurting his feelings? You have to laugh. I suspect most used car dealers don't have too many feelings to hurt as far as business dealings are concerned. A lot of effort? They were probably grinning at the prospect of a nice little profit as they bolted on replacement items. I doubt it took more than a couple of hours at the most to do the work. Don't worry too much about what used car dealers tell you and always double check what they say about a proposed purchase in the future.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I didn't read through all the threads in case somebody else mentioned this but would it be possible that Mercedes wiped the service history if they found out the car was written off to stop any further warranty claims or a maybe a legal move by them?
Nope, service history is just that,

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Hi guys.
So I bought a cat N Mercedes A class 2017 plate after a full hpi was carried out. MOT checks out fine and other checks also fine. had minor damage to front bumper and side wing. All fixed now by the garage.

Checked out the car which was fine.
The car came with a MB service book with the word “duplicate” punched through every page. it contained two MB stamps with mileage and date and a final stamp of the garage where I got the car from.

Is having a duplicate book going to be an issue?

Furthermore , the car did not come with a fancy folder containing paper work and manual etc. Only a MOT report and the mentioned service book. I asked the seller why there was no folder with the car. He said Mercedes now do not give them anymore as the manual is uploaded in the software found in the car and I can access it all from there.

Is this true?

Thank you for your help guys I really appreciate it.

sara

one glitch I found with this new digital crap is, if you Service your car at an Independent “Full Mercedes Dealer” and then have the next service at another - they can’t always see instantly, what extra work was done.
E.g on the next service they said I needed the Spark plugs changed ... but this was done last year!
This is a total pain! As I have to keep a note of when brake fluid, air filters, pollen filters, spark plugs etc was changed.
This has happened twice now.
Note I am not talking about “Independent” Dealers (like the excellent MBS etc) who are allowed to update the Service Book, but about full on Mercedes Dealers with Big Showrooms like Mercedes Guildford and Mercedes Beaconsfield!
They can and do then speak to the other dealer and get confirmation that the work was done!
But had my wife taken the car in she would just have said sure do it.
Note this “duplicated“ work Would have been about £500 In 3 years if I had not spotted it. Maybe not a big issue if you have pots of cash.

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
one glitch I found with this new digital crap is, if you Service your car at an Independent “Full Mercedes Dealer” and then have the next service at another - they can’t always see instantly, what extra work was done.
E.g on the next service they said I needed the Spark plugs changed ... but this was done last year!
This is a total pain! As I have to keep a note of when brake fluid, air filters, pollen filters, spark plugs etc was changed.
This has happened twice now.
Note I am not talking about “Independent” Dealers (like the excellent MBS etc) who are allowed to update the Service Book, but about full on Mercedes Dealers with Big Showrooms like Mercedes Guildford and Mercedes Beaconsfield!
They can and do then speak to the other dealer and get confirmation that the work was done!
But had my wife taken the car in she would just have said sure do it.
Note this “duplicated“ work Would have been about £500 In 3 years if I had not spotted it. Maybe not a big issue if you have pots of cash.
Interesting, and ridiculous if that is how it works.

We bought a new car in 2017 and the system simply tells the dealer what is due each year and they are like a computer driven robot just doing what computer tells them. But, I suppose if they do that - they will not be changing plugs in 2019 AND 2020 as the computer will not tell them to do it in 2020. However, I guess for borderline cases they will fleece you as always. You need to keep a note or have a good memory.

Certainly the advantage of using an indy!

BTW, any update from the OP???

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
When I had my E63 recently serviced at MB Poole they referred to the ESS and the DSB to see what needed doing mileage and age related, and what had been done the last service. Nothing was missed.

But aside from that, reading this thread I feel for the OP and the way she has been deceived over what is, in effect a false history. As mentioned, whether main dealer or an independent Mercedes outfit, they would have stamped the service book with their branch stamp with address/tel #, not just a generic Mercedes logo.

In her position I would return the car for a full refund whilst accepting it was cheaper for the reason it had been accident damaged and one with the same age/spec/mileage would cost more.

Last edited:

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
When I had my E63 recently serviced at MB Poole they referred to the ESS and the DSB to see what needed doing mileage and age related, and what had been done the last service. Nothing was missed.

But aside from that, reading this thread I feel for the OP and the way she has been deceived over what is, in effect a false history. As mentioned, whether main dealer or an independent Mercedes outfit, they would have stamped the service book with their branch stamp with address/tel #, not just a generic Mercedes logo.

In her position I would return the car for a full refund whilst accepting it was cheaper for the reason it had been accident damaged and one with the same age/spec/mileage would cost more.

Absolutely this!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom