Search results

1. J

W212 Subframe replaced but not brake pipes.

When I enquired about brake lines for my C63 I was told that I would get a roll. Makes sense - the front to back rear brake line length is around 4m long and 2m wide, that would be a very big box, about the same footprint as the car! Also to fit it preformed like that you really would have to...
  2. J

Hmmm, how can MB tell the brake lines are copper or Kunifer? The difference once fitted is subtle. You'd be best asking the garage that did it. Yes copper can work harden and fail, but yes the steel ones corrode and fail. Many, many garages use copper and it's widely sold. I've never heard of...
  3. J

If you replace the whole brake line from connection to the flexible section near the caliper to the joint near the ABS unit, and do that both sides, it's not a small job. Not if you do it carefully, shape it properly and bleed all the air out afterwards. It will be significantly easier with the...
  4. J

E300 Bluetec/Hybrid problems

I think you need to find a different garage that know what they are doing. Clearly the Main MB Dealer can't really fault find, only replace parts at your expense until the problem goes away.
  5. J

Servicing of Plug in Hybrid

The spark plug change interval on a Lexus RX hybrid is 120k miles! The MB 12 month interval is a very arbitrary figure. For low mileage cars it is excessive, modern oil can easily last 2 or more years. However 12,000 miles on engine oil is pushing it if you want the engine to last well beyond...
  6. J

Oil filter issue........

It may fit, often there's a spring loaded part to the oil filter housing. However because of the downside, and the worry about the downside, I'd send it back and buy a quality oil filter instead. Oddly the label for the Blueprint filter says Ferdinand Bilstein (Febi Bilstein) on it - which is a...
  7. J

Spring identification.

On a 2011 car you should really be replacing the springs in pairs. If you do that the coloured dots become a lot less important (just buy a pair). In fact I suspect a new correctly colour coded spring won't match a worn spring with the same dots.
  8. J

Headlights - UV protection

I've found the easy option is ceramic coating - if you already have some. If you don't you'll need to spend £30+ on some. Degrease with soapy water - you are supposed to use IPA but I'm not convinced plastic is unaffected by IPA. Wipe on, wait 60s and polish off. No masking or headlight...
  9. J

Crook Lock for AMG

A friend had the wheels stolen off his car. It was parked on his drive and he had floodlights. The police had a nickname for floodlights but I can't remember what it was, however, the gist was that they helped car thieves rather than prevented them!
  10. J

New owner with a few issues/questions

I would monitor the battery voltage with the engine running. Should be really steady, say for example 14.2V to 14.3V (actual value depends on the temperature, battery state of charge, etc.). If it's bouncing around then the alternator brushes are worn (likely at 100k miles). This means your...
  11. J

Rust stains

I'd try some Iron X, try on a small discreet spot first. This stuff is amazing but I've not tried it on white paint. I use it on the car but we had rust stains down the rendered wall of our house and meter cupboards. I gave those a spray, it changed colour as is it supposed to, and looked like...
  12. J

Thinking of buying a 2017 CLS 350d

Bonnet switches and latches can be fickle. If the bonnet isn't closing properly it's really easy to adjust. First I'd lubricate the latch though. If it plays up still then you'll probably need a new latch assembly which usually includes the switch. Regarding your earlier faults the smoke is...
  13. J

Let's talk chargers for a second..

That really isn't acceptable.....unless it's caused by your usage pattern. I know BMW diagnostics will extract a usage profile for the last 30 days allowing the dealer to state that it's basically your fault for using the car incorrectly! Loads of short journeys will take more from the battery...
  14. J

Something like this would be great but this one only goes up to 12.6V. You ideally need 14.50V although 13.8V would probably do, and if you read the comments they do a 13.8V version. I used a 60A PSU that looked a lot like this to do some programming in the past.
  15. J

I use one of these for diagnostics, and when I've felt lucky for a bit of programming! https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/in06010/power-supply-bench-13-8v-20a/dp/IN06010?st=20a%20power%20supply Connect it up first, the day before, you then start with a full battery and 20A of support. If you...
  16. J

Smart battery chargers are definitely not recommended when programming. Because they're smart they apply different voltages and currents depending on what they think the battery needs. If you have varying loads because the ignition is on then the charger won't necessarily do the right thing, or...
  17. J

I can tell you for BMW. They are pretty clear and you need a lot of current. But that is when programming or coding the car rather than diagnostics. For most modern BMW's you need something like 80A at 14.5V. Why, well if you are programming and a high current consumer kicks on like electric...
  18. J

Gearbox Oil Change

But the answers come from the MB strategy departments, not necessary the engineering department. We all know the same gearboxes from MB can have different intervals depending on the year sold. For example the 7G+ on mine is once (and never again) at 31,000 miles. The same gearbox in a non-AMG...
  19. J

uprated rear springs for towing w211

I'd suggest working out what percentage of your miles are towing. Then bear in mind the time you are not towing you will have to live with those stiff springs. Maybe spring assisters are the right thing. Maybe a slightly lower nose weight. Maybe it's OK for the car to sit a bit lower when towing.
  20. J

Limescale water spots, best way to remove?

I have some pretty heavy water spots in the channels under the bonnet. I did quite a bit of research on how to shift them. There are some decent youtube tests on different options. The conclusion was that the deposits are really hard so polishing will work but it'll take a lot of effort...but...

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom