Search results

1. I

Airmatic failure stop immediately message

Hi - I had a similar problem with my CLS rear suspension with turned out to be a combination of a leaking air hose and a damaged wire to the pump. It was intermittent too and took over a year to solve. Merc Medic in Send (Surrey) sorted it out for me in the end.
  2. I

CLS SB rear suspension and headlights problem

This issue was all caused by a damaged wire to the air compressor/pump.
  3. I

CLS Shooting Brake rear suspension issues

Hi - just thought I'd post the about the problems I've had in case it helps someone. Had my CLS shooting brake 2013 plate 350 diesel for about 2.5 years and have had constant issues with the rear suspension height and headlight aim. It kept being fine for a while and then would sit to low or lop...
  4. I

1972 r107 350SL Inlet valve

I think I'll have to end this thread now - thanks for all your help and advice. I've been wrong about the valve - its leaking past the piston. I'm assuming the engine needs to come out to fix that, so I may just put it back together and leave it be for a few months.
  5. I

I can't see any light. Maybe my pressurising the cylinder plan was flawed somehow. Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow. I'll check all the other cylinders for compression before I remove the head. May be flogging a dead horse. The one next to it (number 6) was fine.
  6. I

Hmmm the saga continues - still no compression. I'll need to check if the valve clearance is still ok I think. I got this car running in the state it is now so it's possible someone has set the valve clearance with the valve not seated properly. Or it could be the damaged looking piston, but air...
  7. I

Yes I did consider just putting it back together and hoping for the best. There's quite a lot disconnected though at the moment - water ways etc, also a metal pipe at the rear of the manifold - maybe oil pressure gauge? What are the chances of it getting stuck again?
  8. I

Hi - last week was a battle to remove the inlet manifold which I finally managed today after drilling out most of the last bolt. I could just see a tiny bit of wire stuck in the valve, but as I managed to free it, it fell down into the cylinder. I'm guessing its about 1mm x 3mm long, and there...
  9. I

Ah - its loose now. Unfortunately the head broke off one of the bolts under the AAV. It was very tight and I have been soaking it and trying it all week, until it finally just broke on me this morning. I thought it would just pull up over the stud, but the bolt is actually stuck in the manifold...
  10. I

Hi - I'm just struggling to get the inlet manifold off - I've removed everything mentioned in the Haynes manual and all the bolts but its still stuck down. Is there a technique to budging it please?
  11. I

Will I be able to see the valves if I remove the inlet manifold?
  12. I

I wonder if it may be a bit of the piston broken off and stuck up there - this photo looks like the edge is damaged. I'll have a go at removing the bit, but I think ultimately I'm going to have to prepare myself for removing the head. This car is a long term project, and although not planned...
  13. I

Good idea - I'll try access down the inlet manifold. Definitely something in the valve - here's a better photo: Dylan
  14. I

I got another endoscope with a mirror but the mirror looks sideways and not up, so no good. I managed to get it looking up by taping a bit of string to the end, and am fairly sure I can see a spring or a bit of wire jammed in the valve. The image here is not good as I needed 3 hands! You can...
  15. I

Oh dear. I tried adjusting the clearance but there's a handy tool needed. I have managed it in the past on another car with a 17mm spanner, but this one is really tight and I don't want to round the nut.
  16. I

Thank you - I will try all you have suggested this afternoon. My concern is that there is a valve clearance on that inlet valve, but slightly less than it should be - 0.05mm instead of 0.1mm, which could therefore indicate a burnt valve. I thought it was exhaust valves that normally get burnt.
  17. I

Thanks - I'll try that. It certainly could be a disaster if the valve fell out! I'll study some diagrams and photos before I go hitting anything.
  18. I

Well I found my borescope and it fits down the hole, but not with the mirror attached - its less than a mm too big! Does anyone have any other ideas please, or is there possibly a procedure printed or video'd anywhere for head removal? Thanks
  19. I

Yes I thought that would be the case. This isn't hydraulic actually though - manual adjustment. I guess its going to be head off then. Or just run it as a V7.....!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom