Airmatic failure stop immediately message

OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Loosing faith in the brand now...dilemma time...its mint and top of the range approx 33k miles...should I sell or bite the bullet???????????
Quite fancy a VW Taigo R Line DSG....am I going mad?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
They obviously are just throwing parts at the car I think a complaint to the manager is in order and MBUK any further work ie replacing the rear airbags should include a substantial contribution from them this is a classic rear airbag failure scenario IMO I very much doubt it will be the front struts they are much better engineered

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Loosing faith in the brand now...dilemma time...its mint and top of the range approx 33k miles...should I sell or bite the bullet???????????
You’ll regret it in no time at all. :(

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock

The fact that you have been "betraying" the C by looking at other vehicles the new car seed has already been planted and if / when the car is repaired you will forever looking at the ride height and wondering if it has remained constant , i lost faith in my CLS after one too many required repairs on a low mileage car and jumped marque to BM + Porsche and never looked back or felt i was going mad by wanting something different / better / more reliable.

If you fancy the VW then take it for a drive , depending on options the modern tech will be miles ahead of the C and if a petrol the refinement will be also.

At work ATM and have plenty of time and i enjoy spending other peoples ££ . so here you go. I went for the Pan roof and upgraded Nav pack , hope you dont mind.

K

OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The fact that you have been "betraying" the C by looking at other vehicles the new car seed has already been planted and if / when the car is repaired you will forever looking at the ride height and wondering if it has remained constant , i lost faith in my CLS after one too many required repairs on a low mileage car and jumped marque to BM + Porsche and never looked back or felt i was going mad by wanting something different / better / more reliable.

If you fancy the VW then take it for a drive , depending on options the modern tech will be miles ahead of the C and if a petrol the refinement will be also.

At work ATM and have plenty of time and i enjoy spending other peoples ££ . so here you go. I went for the Pan roof and upgraded Nav pack , hope you dont mind.

K
Looking at almost that exact model but its black with the uprated 1.0 engine plus dsg...its in my dealers at £31500..they have offered me £18k for mine...testing it tomorrow...not sure about the drop in class from this:

July 2015 C Class Estate C220d Premium Plus...33000 miles from New...one owner...Full Mercedes Service history...Last one this July plus MOT...2 new Front Tyres...Rears at 4mm
Brilliant blue with rear tinted windows...Grey Wood Grain interior not gloss black...Virtually unmarked condition...no dinks or scratches...couple of tiny stone chips...never had any paint work...some kerbing to n/s wheels on outer edge only been touched up...1.5cm split in drivers seat at the edge as you get in and out....subtly covered with Mercedes badge...drives perfectly...prem plus with panoramic sun roof...upgraded sound system...fully electric heated and memory seats...all bills including sales receipt...Just testing the water...is it worth £19k to anyone?

20220629_165419_resized.jpg

20220629_165447_resized.jpg

20220629_170152_resized.jpg

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Two pros to include in your weighing up process, you will be getting rid of an EU6 diesel and you won’t need to pay out £1500 for replacement rear suspension airbags.

Putting your reg into the AT P/E pricing guide it comes out at <£16k so the offer made against the VW seems about right

Isdyldan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'71 350 SL, Mercedes 350 CLS SB, '94 Shogun 2.8 LWB, '73 Porsche 914
Hi - I had a similar problem with my CLS rear suspension with turned out to be a combination of a leaking air hose and a damaged wire to the pump. It was intermittent too and took over a year to solve. Merc Medic in Send (Surrey) sorted it out for me in the end.

lopez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 c218/CLS 350cdi c218
Hi, another one here. Little bit different thou. I've left the car for couple of days parked on uneven driveway(left side was lower than right side). Since then car struggled to balance itself(right side stayed higher than left). No leaks, no faults, no tracking issues...few hundred miles later leak in front left strut, stop-car too low message. 1000+ pounds for new air strut. I can feel more is coming.

Any idea about aftermarket air struts you can recommend? Is Aerosus any good?

Mercedes CLS 500 C218

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I was looking into Arnott struts as they have a good sales blurb with good reviews from those who’ve fitted them. Whilst I could not get any, it turned out that with the Arnotts I would use the comfort/sport functionality which they don’t declare. For some reason I do not trust the cheapest offerings.

I’ll be going OEM struts fitted at an Indy perhaps in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
^ Ditto - if the S212 starts to sag it will be OEM as they say it only hurts once - 2 x front struts and 2 x rear airbags will be £3k parts and then need fitting but they will be good for another 100k miles

lopez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 c218/CLS 350cdi c218
Front left ordered thru Merc Plymouth. Hopefully the rest of the system is right. It's 60k miles now. I wasn't expecting it when bought few months ago tbh. But the car was stationary mostly during kowid, previous owner said. That's why probably.
Lucky me I still own the 350cdi cls. Never let me down for last 4 years, just wear and tear.

Anyways, thanks guys for reply

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Tempted fate...the ****** thing dropped 2" at the rear over the last 2 days...back at the dealers again....considering px for a VW Tiago...losing faith
Don't blame u. Prob is on quality seems all heading same way. Lowest bidder wins.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I took my R Class back around 4 times before they eventually fixed it. Originally they replaced the control valve but it dropped overnight when it was returned. On just about each occasion they reckoned the car didn't drop while they had it but it dropped each time it was returned to me.
Fanny tactics?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Just got the repair quote :
Please find the prices for the repairs to your Mercedes C220...This is with Goodwill as I'm their favorite customer LOL

Replace air suspension compressor & valve block: £1019.02
Replace air suspension compressor: £751.18 if valve block not required
Carry out air con recharge: £79.00 to be discounted to £39.50

Hopefully we will not need the valve block so that it’s the cheaper option.
they don't drop tot the floor because the compressor stops

they do drop to the floor when a £32 Level sensor falls off - because its been seized for months till the bracket fractures over a big bump

OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
they don't drop tot the floor because the compressor stops

they do drop to the floor when a £32 Level sensor falls off - because its been seized for months till the bracket fractures over a big bump
The compressor was burnt out...god knows why...

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
yes, common on my model, I was having one on my 50k mile S class, chauffeur came in and said, oh yes had 3 on the last one in 70k miles and 4 years !!!

many seem to have tiny leaks and the compressor continuously manages it, but of course works hard doing so - and I suspect that the sensor link rods that seize up almost every other year (with the mild steel ball rusting inside its plastic joint), means the car is trying to do stuff it shouldn't and that pump is working far harder than it should

the mounting bracket has some flex and that tends to be enough for a few years of mismanaged readings, till each leg of its mounting bracket breaks away - when the forth link eventually snaps off (on a given sensor) the car stupidly falls on the floor - incredibly dangerous

it could just say - oh level reading gone mad - do nothing and throw message to check - but the dramatic effect of a 30 quid sensor link failing and the joy (for them) of a 1k bill is too tempting - so they put your life at risk !! - the car can run for 6 months with the compressor off, and drive just the same (if use is mild and we get few dramatic changes in atmospheric conditions)

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom