£202 per hour, dont get rip-off

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
To do any work that will involve interfering with gas integrity is now illegal, even on your own equipment.
In fact the power given to the 'Gas Safe' engineers is Stalinist they find fault and will slap stickers on 'condemning' the equipment, only after a satisfactory inspection can it be re-instated. This may be considered a safe way but I've seen examples where this goes too far too easily.

While we can still work on our own electrical system and install our own windows, for example. Come sale time the buyer will likely fail to raise a mortgage without required certificates that their solicitor will ask for.

All this is for 'our protection' and much has come out of the EU.
I would be interested in the statistics of adverse events due to cowboy workmanship that justifies the measures.
And it would be interesting to see if these measures are adhered to Europe wide, in Romania and Poland for example.

messing with electricity if something goes wrong 9 times out of 10 you only kill yourself , but gas you can kill loads in one go . so yes it is ilegal to mess and so it should be ,anyway who in there right mind would mess with gas . mind you i will say sometimes a good old belt of 240v and i think we have all had one or two in our time and lived to say ouch ,can be benificial i have an irratic heart beat a nucance more than anything in my oppinion, but the last belt some three years ago i had seemed to help and the old ticker rarely plays up now coincidence mabey mind you i wouldent prescribe it .

Richard Elliot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 E270CDi
The only silver lining on the horizon is that the amount of red tape is becoming so ridiculous that it will be impossible to police...

...Of course the laws aren't enforced in Poland/Bulgaria, and probably not in many EU countries. I have seen first hand in Spain that there is very much a culture of rules are there to be broken...people aren't embarrassed to break health/safety laws, they are ignored.

It is virtually impossible to adhere to al the daft construction regulations in this country. Except mimimum size for rooms in new housing, which Britain could badly do with.

Health/safety laws are totally ignored, impossible to find anybody with a hard hat on any small building project, angle grinders used with no protection whatsoever, asbestos chucked into skips at best, rickety sky-high scaffolding etc.
As for elec, many people do it themselves (I do) then get an electrician to sign at the end if necessary.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
It is virtually impossible to adhere to al the daft construction regulations in this country. Except minimum size for rooms in new housing, which Britain could badly do with.

Health/safety laws are totally ignored, impossible to find anybody with a hard hat on any small building project, angle grinders used with no protection whatsoever, asbestos chucked into skips at best, rickety sky-high scaffolding etc.
As for elec, many people do it themselves (I do) then get an electrician to sign at the end if necessary.

Very true Richard. A cynic might say that there are 2 rules to setting up a new site:

1. put up notice explaining the site safety rules
2. ignore it.

OP
J

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
  • Banned
Cameron is supposed to do something about the silly Health and Safety laws, so far nothing has happened.................

try getting your windows replaced without scaffolding, the installers will say no, make you pay even more to hire the scaffolding.

How come it still legal for us homeowners to use a ladder to touch up our windows? :rolleyes:

soon ladders will be tools of the past. this is very very silly indeed.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
But who qualifies 'them' for making ridiculous legislation ?

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Windows are usually fitted from inside so scaffolding is not required.
the fensa requirement is just a money making rip off..
windows have codes stamped in the plastic of the frame so the date is always available as to when they were fitted.
The danger with dodgy electrics is fire so it can affect your neighbours etc.Have you noticed that cables have the date on them too?
Cant really see a surveyor removing a socket/fusebox cover to check the date of wiring though.
If ladders have a platform (a silly little 12"x6" clip on shelf) then its ok ???
If all the Hse laws were complied with i would never get any work done and the cost would make it prohibitive!

OP
J

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
  • Banned
But who qualifies 'them' for making ridiculous legislation ?

dont you know they are the law maker whether you like it or not, doing it everyday, and if you dont like it, vote them off?

now they are trying to let councils tax us as much as councils like to replace the 50p tax :rolleyes:

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
dont you know they are the law maker whether you like it or not, doing it everyday, and if you dont like it, vote them off?

That's the rub though, without risking being branded an 'ist, there's only one party you can vote for currently, the liblabcon party, not a fag paper between the three factions.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom