'04 E320 remote lock problem.. HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320
Hope someone can help!

This is my 1st post and sorry to say its a help post!!

I have a '04 E320 and it has a problem with the remote central locking.

It only just happened yesterday!

It unlocks the car fine, remote boot release is fine too BUT the big problem is that I cannot lock the car when I press lock on the key fob!!

Changed the 2025 batteries, still same.

I can only lock the car with the blade key (drivers door only)

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there some sort of solution??

Thanks in advance:)

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Test each button while viewing the end of the fob through a digital camera, you should see a light as you press each button. If the lock button doesn’t show a light when pressed then the switch underneath the button may be faulty.

Picture is of a different fob but same principal.

Dec

KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320
Test each button while viewing the end of the fob through a digital camera, you should see a light as you press each button. If the lock button doesn’t show a light when pressed then the switch underneath the button may be faulty.

Picture is of a different fob but same principal.

Dec

KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

Thanks for that. the unlock button does not light up when viewed thru digicam :(

So does that mean I need a new key fob...

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Not necessarily so, its possible that that particular button/switch has a bad connection, if you are good with electronics and soldering … if that is what can cure the fault…then see this as an example of what might be at fault… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=26895 …otherwise have someone like a TV repair man have a look at it.

Dec

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320
Just been into local Merc garage, he said I need a new key!

The sensor thing inside is broken. Approx £225 all in.

Someone told me why don't I just have a central locking alarm fitted, added security and may just cost me £150, is this wise, I'll end up with 2 key fobs!?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
breakersrevenge, the posts above give great advice - especially post #5 above yours^^

why not read a little more on the forum about key repairs, print some off, and find a radio ham or TV repair guy and try to get yours repaired?? effectively MB are telling you what has already been said here, except they never repair anything and don't mind you buying a new key - your money your choice...

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
If it were me, I would go with the new key fob however I would first try and fix the faulty fob, the fault could be as simple as a faulty button. The dealer mind set is, if it doesn’t work, replace it, the customer pays, dealer make a profit and is guaranteed a good result. As said, try and fix it first.

For what you would save over a new key by fitting another central locking system and what with the additional key fob, I don’t think it would be wise, these are complicated cars so best to keep things original for the sake of saving maybe £100.
Let us know how it goes.

Dec

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320
Is there anyone on here that is able to fix/repair the key?

Thanks

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
there is a guy, or rather THE guy, called malcolm - he posts as television. he is away at the moment, but may be able to help you on his return.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Just to give you an insight on your problem, below is a Printed Circuit Board from an earlier E class key fob, yours will be quite similar to this, it is quite possible that one of the 3 round black button switches on the board is faulty and so in the right hands it could be repaired.

Dec

See picture source… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=50294
attachment.php

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I dont belive Malc is doing them any more, due to forum members not paying the small amount Malc charges or even the postage back, so he fixing them at his cost!!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320
I dont belive Malc is doing them any more, due to forum members not paying the small amount Malc charges or even the postage back, so he fixing them at his cost!!

Oh ok, I'll gladly pay upfront! :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E320
How do I get in touch with 'television' as I can't seem to send him a message?

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello,,its me :D

ml320cdi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 Cdi ( W164 ), S320Cdi ( W220 ), Vaneo 1.7 CDI ( W414 )
w164 key central locking problem

same issue with my W164 ML key
car drives ok but none of the button for central locking + boot work.
I had a TV repair guy look at the circuit board and he checked each button by putting 2 probes on each side and all the buttons were OK.
I checked the key using my phone camera and no white/blue light can be seen when the buttons are pressed. I tried the same thing with my Merc S320 Cdi key and the white can be seen when viewed from the camera phone feature.

The TV repair guy told me that all the soldering was OK and the buttons were working fine. What's the next step?

markann11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 v reg, e200, petrol auto elegance
fao malcolm (television)

hi there,

can't help but notice that you are quite obviously "the man" when it comes to mercedes problems, (every google search i do eventually leads back to a soloution offered by your good self!)

i'm sorry to tag onto another thread , but as i type i have the key (one and only key) semi dis-assembled,(due to the fob no longer working after being tempremental, doesn't operate the central locking at all now, but still starts drive etc.) i have prized the top section out, the part which contains the two batteries, but after applying considerable force the rest of the key housing will not split, looks like it could even be one piece, no open edges to chase. could you tell me if the circuit board will slide out please? or better still can i send you the key along with a bottle of your choice, or paypal donation for you to run your eagle eye over? i can do without the car / key for a week or so.

sorry for this being my first post and it being a problem / request , but unfortunately needs must, finances dictate , and your name keeps coming up!

kind regards

mark

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
hi there,

can't help but notice that you are quite obviously "the man" when it comes to mercedes problems, (every google search i do eventually leads back to a soloution offered by your good self!)

i'm sorry to tag onto another thread , but as i type i have the key (one and only key) semi dis-assembled,(due to the fob no longer working after being tempremental, doesn't operate the central locking at all now, but still starts drive etc.) i have prized the top section out, the part which contains the two batteries, but after applying considerable force the rest of the key housing will not split, looks like it could even be one piece, no open edges to chase. could you tell me if the circuit board will slide out please? or better still can i send you the key along with a bottle of your choice, or paypal donation for you to run your eagle eye over? i can do without the car / key for a week or so.

sorry for this being my first post and it being a problem / request , but unfortunately needs must, finances dictate , and your name keeps coming up!

kind regards

mark

Yes you can send it to me if you wish, I have not done a ML key but who knows

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom