124 Hydraulic Pump Seal Change

Cliveb

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience of changing the seals in the tandem pumps fitted to some 124 estates? Are special tools needed? If there are, are there ways around?

fullmeister

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D estate
If its the pump on the end of the cam .... then no problem .
Once you take the pump off its all self explanitory.
I didn't even disconnect the suppy hoses .
MB do a complete seal kit for about a tenner ;o)

OP
C

Cliveb

Reaction score
Thanks fullmeister, but this is the tandem pump. Is combined with the PAS pump.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Has anyone had any experience of changing the seals in the tandem pumps fitted to some 124 estates? Are special tools needed? If there are, are there ways around?

I've never done one, but, looking at the parts drawings, it's quite a job - the flange doesn't come off the front end of the shaft, it's all one piece, which means you have to dimantle the pump to enable the shaft to be withdrawn, at which point you'll be able to fit the seal.

Here's the piccie for my car;

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.433&CT=M&cat=19T&SID=13&SGR=030&SGN=01

As you can see, part number 26 has the flange and shaft all as one piece.

You'll need to get far enough into the pump to release the snap ring (71), and then remove all the intervening parts off the shaft.

If you find any significant side play in the shaft, then, your new seal won't last long - you might be better off seeking a good second hand pump.

OP
C

Cliveb

Reaction score
I too have looked at the Russian site.

I'm not scared of dismantling, it's more the need for special tools, presses etc.

I've thought about a used one, as you say, I need a 'good' used one. How do you know if it's good? These cars are getting a bit old.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom