124 steering 'loose'?

Chazchuzzlewitt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W/S124 320TE Estate
the steering on my 124 still doesn't feel quite right. I've changed the steering damper, and checked the idler arm bushes. Still feels like too much play.
I can quite easily turn the wheel 1/2 a turn when stationary with the engine running- does this sound normal?

turnipsock

Reaction score
It's supposed to be an 1" movement at the steering wheel rim. A full half turn is a bit much.

I have a bit of movement in my wheel and the car still drives pretty well.

OP
Chazchuzzlewitt

Chazchuzzlewitt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W/S124 320TE Estate
thanks turnip. The car still drives well, tracks straight and steering is very stable at speed.
I hope the wheel itself is not loose- it's been making some light metallic squeaking sounds on turning recently!

Bumper

Banned
Reaction score
Are your wheels straight when you are checking free play on the steering wheel?

When the wheels on my car is straight there is very little movement in the steering wheel but when wheels are turned there is a lot more movement in the steering wheel

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I believe the 124 has a steering box in the same way as a 123. We had a similar issue on a 123 280E. It was like driving a boat. Put up with it for ages then finally looked into it expecting the worst. The mechanic just tightened up the nut on the top of the steering box and it was like having a new car. I believe there are caveats to doing this, especially if it has been done before, plus there are service kits for the steering box, but anyway, it can be fixed and quite cheaply too.

clive williams

Reaction score
Chazchuzzlewitt said:
the steering on my 124 still doesn't feel quite right. I've changed the steering damper, and checked the idler arm bushes. Still feels like too much play.
I can quite easily turn the wheel 1/2 a turn when stationary with the engine running- does this sound normal?

Chaz, Sounds like you've got excessive play in the steering box. You can adjust the play with the nut on the box but MAKE ASOLUTELY SURE that you've got the correct or slightly more play on the steering with the engine switched off and the steering pointing straight ahead. The cause of the play is usually wear in the box and if you're tempted to dial out the play I would guarrantee that the box will wear out sooner rather than later.

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

turnipsock

Reaction score
The adjustment for the box is under the heat shield.

You will need loosen the locknut and then unscrew the allan bolt to stiffen up the box.

If you go to far you will push the seals out.

Anybody know how much the repair kit is and what is involved in doing this job?

TimN

Reaction score
Send me a private message and I will send a guidance note on the refurbishment of the steering box by return.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
the steering on this car should only be adjusted by turning the nut (allen key) clockwise one quarter of a turn at a time. In the garage a torque meter is used on the steering wheel. the front of the car should be raised and after each turn the wheel should be turned from lock to lock feeling for any lumps, as Turnipsock says care must be taken otherwise you can force the seal and balls out. the lock nut should be tightened to 60 Nm and steering tried again.
Some cars have clamping bushes that must be removed before you can adjust

The steering gears are equiped with play compensation, and that only acts in the center range of the steering gear and the steering must self center when driving in a straight line.

It says here that if complaint is too much free play adjust screw with care.

Malcolm

Bumper

Banned
Reaction score
television said:
the steering on this car should only be adjusted by turning the nut (allen key) clockwise one quarter of a turn at a time. In the garage a torque meter is used on the steering wheel. the front of the car should be raised and after each turn the wheel should be turned from lock to lock feeling for any lumps, as Turnipsock says care must be taken otherwise you can force the seal and balls out. the lock nut should be tightened to 60 Nm and steering tried again.
Some cars have clamping bushes that must be removed before you can adjust

The steering gears are equiped with play compensation, and that only acts in the center range of the steering gear and the steering must self center when driving in a straight line.

It says here that if complaint is too much free play adjust screw with care.

Malcolm

Are you sure that you don’t turn the Allen key anticlockwise to tighten the steering box. I have been looking through a few posts and they all say anti clockwise to tighten the free play [I quote

Hi there,

you can also adjust the
steering box, however if you over do it you run the risk of blowing the seals..... (No penguin jokes please!)

There should be a large Allen nut on the top of the
box, if you slacken off the locking nut and then turn the Allen nut anticlockwise it will remove some of the play in the box.

Webby

turnipsock

Reaction score
Bumper said:
Are you sure that you don’t turn the Allen key anticlockwise to tighten the steering box.

It's anti-clockwise to tighten the box. See my post from further up this thread.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
we have a miss print here on WIS in one section that tells you to turn clockwise, the diagram on another page adjuusting on car shows anti clockwise.

I cant complain as I should not have it

Malcolm

I do have the max permisable torque figure but without the gauge it is not of much use

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Free play

Is the free play you report with the engine running or not? How much free play do you get at the steering wheel before the wheels move? Are you testing with the wheels traight ahead?

There is a damper in the box at the middle of the travel and, I believe, a degree of insensitivity built in at that point too

One way to evaluate the car would be to drive it back-to-back with another E300 Diesel

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

QUOMAN

Reaction score
Website
WWW.GREENWICHCARPARTS.BIZ
Sorry Television We`ve Been Repairing Merc Steering Boxes For 20 Odd Years ....and You Adjust Them By Screwing The Nut Anti-clockwise Not Clockwise Yes You Actualy Pull The Sector Shaft Up Into The Box But This Only Works In Very Rare Occasions

Be Well R.p

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
QUOMAN said:
Sorry Television We`ve Been Repairing Merc Steering Boxes For 20 Odd Years ....and You Adjust Them By Screwing The Nut Anti-clockwise Not Clockwise Yes You Actualy Pull The Sector Shaft Up Into The Box But This Only Works In Very Rare Occasions

Be Well R.p
I put the correction up 3 replies ago.

Malcolm

QUOMAN

Reaction score
Website
WWW.GREENWICHCARPARTS.BIZ
as maybe but it didnt come up untill i wrote this....sorry
"in one section that tells you to turn clockwise, the diagram on another page adjuusting on car shows anti clockwise." is a correction?
it would appear that i posted a reply on page 1 not seeing that there were other replies pointing out this error on page 2

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom