16inch alloys - will they fit on me 260E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Lock

Reaction score
I have been given a set of 16 inch alloys from an SL And was wondering would they fit my 88 260E they are shod with 225/55/16 tyres? I know the 500e has these wheels and tyres fitted but I also know that the wings on this model are flared out by 0.9" but is this because the 500E has been lowered? I appreciate any advice
thanks

Guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 Estate 2010 Brabus D6 350CDI
16inch alloys

It all depends on the width of the wheels - a 225 tyre will typically go on widths from 7" to 8" - and the "offset" of the wheel.
Offset determines where the wheel mounts in relation to its centre - near the inner side, the outer side, or the middle of the wheel. In plain language, it determines how much the wheel will "stick out", and whether it will foul the wheel arches or even the inners.
There is a much better explanation than mine at
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm

I think you will have to discover the offset of the wheel, then compare it with the offset of the original equipment. A big difference probably means No, a small one you might get away with.
At the Tirerack website there is a guy called Luke who seems to know the answer to all these questions, so you could try him.
Guy.

David Halsey

Reaction score
16inch alloys

Being 16" I presume the sl was a 129 chassis.

In this case the answer is no.  Youyr car is a 124 chassis and has an offset of 35
129 has an offset of 20, therefore the tyre will catch the wheel arch. Also the 129 has differently profiled calipers, some 16" wheels foul on the 124.

Sorry to dissapoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom