1984 Mercedes L608D... or is it?

DavidR

Reaction score
Hi All,

Someone may be able to identify what I'm looking at. It's an ebay purchase, but I'm not convinced it's not had another vehicle's identity slapped on to it. The vehicle is advertised as an L608D, which means it should be an OM314 4-cyl, and the longest wheelbase chassis information I can find for that is 4.1m. All the listings seem to indicate it should come with standard servo-assist hydraulic brakes, and probably 16" wheels.

From what I have seen, it's actually got a 6-cylinder OM352, it's on a 4.7m wheelbase chassis, has air-brakes, potentially an air-operated clutch and on 17.5" wheels. Was any T2 available with this specification? The riveted-on VIN plate identifies it with a chassis number, but also states the OM314 engine. The V5 I have seen matches the VIN plate, but also has the cylinder capacity for an OM314.

Something is clearly amiss here. Do these have a chassis number stamped into the chassis rails somewhere, so I might be able to discover what it actually is?

And does anyone recognise the specification for the 4.7-m long wheelbase (and OM352, air brakes etc.) I wonder if this is actually a heavier chassis model, a special, or some other wierd thing. There's also the fact that the vehicle is LHD, but the V5 identifies it as being "declared new at first registration", which in theory would make it a UK vehicle. It's clearly been imported from NL at some point, which would fit with being LHD. Which should, in theory, be declared on the V5

Any advise welcomed.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
Walk away - with that many issues/mods it is unlikely that anyone will insure it for an affordable price.

OP
D

DavidR

Reaction score
That isn't the issue.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
It will be if you had plans of putting it on the road.

Top Bottom