1988 230CE Coupe - technical advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gideon koppel

New Registration
Reaction score
I have just bought my first Mercedes: 1988 230CE Coupe. It is a beautiful car but I have a few concerns:
1 The front seats do not 'lock' into position - even when the vehicle is in drive with the doors closed.
2 The 'economy' gauge on the dash does not operate
3 What is the average engine temp - I am worried that it is running hot and have noticed that the fan does not cut in and out
4 Drivers electric window is not working - there does appear to be power since I noticed a slight dimming of lights when the window switch is depressed.
I would be grateful for any suggestions of what I should look for and for any reccomendations of mechanics in the central/east london area.

dave elcome

Reaction score
1988 230CE Coupe

I had a similar problem with my elec windows, turned out to be the comfort relay under the back seat, £125 (ouch) later from the dealer, all was well.

Can't help with the other bits sorry.

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
1988 230CE Coupe

I cant comment on all the points there, but the engine temp should be around the 80-90 mark on normal running, with the fan cutting in at around 100. What type of fan have you got on yours, it is Viscous or electric?

Also the leccy window problem sounds like a stuck motor. With the button pressed, try to push the window down manually, once its freed it might be ok. Then a spray of the old favourite WD40 down the runners should do the trick.

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
1988 230CE Coupe

Me again, about the mechanic, i live about 20 odd miles outside east london, in Essex. i know of a good MB mechanic in a place called Wickford in Essex (about 40 mins down the A13 or A127 from east london) Its one of those Alladins cave type Garages, where only the owner knows where everything is. My step dad has an old 60's merc convertable, and he gets it serviced there all the time, hes pretty good by all accounts and knows his stuff. I can get the number if you like?

David Halsey

Reaction score
1988 230CE Coupe

A 1988 230CE has a 102 engine, same as your 190 Matt

The fan is electro magnetic.
Cuts in at about 100
In this temperature you will find it very hard to make it come on, when you try, turn the heat off inside the car and keep the bonnet down

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
1988 230CE Coupe

The fan problem is probably going to be the same as mine was. Replace the fan switch on the top/front of the engine, that should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom