1988 300TE 4Matic ABS 4Matic problem solved

Indefatigable

Reaction score
Whilst looking on Mercedes Benz Club of America forum site for info about an ABS/4Matic fault that i had with my 1989 300TE 4Matic.175K miles.Please note the word HAD.
A chap called Don gave a reply to an ABS question which gave me the info to test my 300TE.in the reply he stated that the wheel /axle sensors should show a voltage across the terminals of 300mvolts when the wheel was rotated at a speed of one rev per sec.
I had ABS activating at low speed and 4Matic mode 3 ( Rear axle diff lockup)at low speed moving of from stand still.But no wheel slippage.
I extended leads to all 3 sensors up to the driving position and drove at low speed ( on private road ),monitoring the voltage at each sensor,with a digital voltmeter set to 2volt a/c.
1st rear sensor 300+mv (good).then i checked the front only 80-100mv on both( the 4Matic computer reading higher voltage at rear axle=rear wheels spinning go too mode 3. Then under braking conditions ABS computer reading low voltage on front sensors=front wheels locking up,brings in ABS somtimes stoping brake effect completly).The rotors had already been cleaned and both sensors,so this was not the problem.
With the aid of a portable elecric drill i held the sensor close to the open jaws of the chuck and ran the drill( hopeing to simulate the movement of the rotar past the pickup),with this test i got 350/400mv .so i thought that the sensors were o/k.
I did notice that the sensor had to be very close to the rotating chuck to get good voltages.
With this in mind i looked at the opening in the front hub/knuckle were the sensor fits,there was a small amount of corosion(rust) on the top face which the sensor butts upto.With a small rotary file in the same portable drill i cleaned the area,replaced the sensor and spun the wheel. 300+mv on both sensors.:D
Rebooted the 4Matic fault memory and tested the car.
ABS mended
4Matic mended.
Total cost £00.00 ;) :D
I have only just bought the car about 3weeks ago and the last owner had said that he had just had an ABS fault repaired:rolleyes:
The (repair :rolleyes: )consisted of removal of ABS warning light bulb,then the removal of the 6 pin relay on top of the ABS unit,dont think thats quite legal:rolleyes: ( nice of the person to leave the relay in the glove box )
Hope that the above info might be of help to someone else sometime,as i have seen post of a similar nature before but not with the voltage info.
Good Luck !!
Richard(Moored on the River Trent in a Boat not the Merc.)

Richard.
Location River Trent .Derbyshire UK

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom