1990 300TE oil pump needs replacing - help!

betaspyder

Reaction score
Hi there. My 1990 300TE has developed an oil pump leak.
Does anyone know best place to get a replacement - do I have to buy new or would reconditioned do? (Are these repairable??) What should I pay?
How easy is it to fit? Don't mind a bit of DIY but don't want to get into anything complicated/special tools etc. Would I need any other bits - seals etc?
Many thanks - hoping some M-B guru can give me a steer - many thanks!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just one question, how do you know its leaking.

;alcolm

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Replacemnts are available from KMS on an exchange basis, but as Malcolm says make sure that it is faulty.
Contact tel no. 0121 753 6454 (Birmingham)
0208 438 1010 (London)

On my 300TE I left the job left to a competent garage as the pump supplies the power steering rack and the rear self levelling suspension and requires the removal of the serpentine belt (might be worth replacing the belt at the same time).

Also have the rear levelling suspension supply pipes checked for leaks, they are prone to corossion at the body mounting points so a touch of waxoil doesn't go amiss.

OP
B

betaspyder

Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice

Many thanks for the advice - sounds like I should leave this to a professional mechanic - I am working on the assumption that it is an oil pump leak based on advice from a friend who looked at it. The leak is from underneath the front nearside corner of the car to the front of the nearside wheel and away from the engine itself. The oil is gathering on to some low level pipes and dripping off from there - Regards

clive williams

Reaction score
betaspyder said:
Many thanks for the advice - sounds like I should leave this to a professional mechanic - I am working on the assumption that it is an oil pump leak based on advice from a friend who looked at it. The leak is from underneath the front nearside corner of the car to the front of the nearside wheel and away from the engine itself. The oil is gathering on to some low level pipes and dripping off from there - Regards

Where do the auto transmission cooler pipes run? On my 500E the cooler pipes were on the n/s underneath the power steering pump. I thought that the original leak was from the pump. In fact it was a badly made joint on the flexible pipe, which had lasted 200k mls before it was so bad it was detectable/traceable.

Clive

500E
E320CDIT210

OP
B

betaspyder

Reaction score
Thanks for this - looks like I should check all the pipes more carefully first before rushing to replace the oil pump - Cheers

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom