1994 E220 Coupe - Brake Pipes and more...

eyelight

Reaction score
Our W124 E220 Coupe has unfortunately failed it's MOT, mainly due to very badly corroded brake pipes, front and rear. The MOT tester was suggesting that the cost of replacement would be extremely high, and possibly not worth it.

Faced with the possibility of having to sell the car for a lot less than we'd like, I'm wondering if anyone here can give a rough estimate on the difficulty (and cost) of replacing all the brake pipes on a W124 Coupe.

Doing a search on the forum gives a few answers. Ian B. Walker, says the subframe has to be dropped, and I've heard elsewhere that the rear axle must come off.

Doesn't seem like it's a really hard job, just very time consuming and awkward, and since I currently don't have a driveway or anywhere to work on a car, I'd be paying someone else to do it.

The car also needs a bit of welding on the chassis, although this looks more like on the wheel arch to me, the MOT tester said it was a "prescribed area". So since that's nerar the fuel tank, it would probably cost me a pretty penny too.

Any ideas on the brake likes?

Thanks,

Larry

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
I would suggest it depends on your definition of badly corroded.

My 1989 W124 had a warning about brake pipe corrosion last year, my MOT tester advised me to brush off the excess loose corrosion and then spray the entire underside of the car with waxoyl to prevent any more corrosion occurring. He assured me this would prevent MOT failure in subsequent years if I made sure the wax protection was in good order.

Perhaps there is a cheaper fix than you imagine?

Good Luck

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have to agree with Richard in the above post

OP
E

eyelight

Reaction score
Thanks Richard,

Didn't expect a reply so quickly.
I'll try and get a look under there later, but the MOT tester was saying that they were in quite bad shape and might crumble if anyone tried to work on them, so I'm guessing they might be beyond help.

Thanks though,

Larry

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
It is not the material cost but the time it takes, the rear sub frame is unfortunatly in yor way for the rear pipe and must be dropped to do it properly, do what you can and get an indie to change the rear one.
Put some penetrating oil on the subframe mounting bolts and let it soak.
Knocking the rust off and a fat glob of grease will help a pipe that is starting to get tatty survive a year or two.

OP
E

eyelight

Reaction score
Thanks Richard, Malcolm and Wireman,
A neighbour recommended a mechanic who had a look under the car today. He thinks giving the brake pipes a good sanding down and a clean, followed by a coating of grease will get them through the MOT. They sanded a few small bits of pipe today and quickly came up with sound and shiny metal.
They'll also take care of a small bit of welding near the rear subframe, and along with a new lambda sensor, we should be sorted. Then we'll see about trading our two oldish cars for something a bit newer.

Doesn't help that on getting into the car today, I found that some **** had stolen the glass out of the driver's door mirror ! Not smashed by some vandal, but carefully removed and unplugged by someone who obviously needed a mirror. Must have happened Sunday night because getting into our W124 estate on Monday I noticed that the door mirror was not aimed where it should be. They must have tried that car first but found the drivers door mirror has a cheap replacement glass in it.

Larry

1994 E220 Coupe
1994 E280 Estate

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
Its a very sad world when Mercedes owners are prepared to steal bits from each others cars. Society is definitely going downhill :-(

Sounds good on the brake pipe front, hopefully the car will soon have a clean bill of health and a new MOT

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would have said that waxoil was better than any thing else, if the pipes clean up with no pit marks then slap the waxoil all over the pipes.

Often some mirrors on Ebay

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Do a permanent job and drop the sub frame. They will only come back to bite you in a while irrespective of what you put on them. Dropping the sub frame is not that hard, take a while though but is doable. And while you have it dropped check out the front sub frame mounting points as they rust easy and are not very accessible while the frame is in.

Legoman

Reaction score
i agree on doing a permanent job if there badly gone , if its only minor though a quick sand and treatment wont do any harm to the pipes , obviously there not all that thick material wise so sanding to much off can weaken them , ive got to check and do mine at some point , they were an advisory last mot , so hopefully it isnt too bad , in the short term ill probably sand and waxoil too , but i plan to replace the lot when i get some free time :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Look at the worst affected places lightly sand,if there are any deep black hole or pits then replace , if the pit marks are just light then Wax oil

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom