1998 C200 wierd problem with ASR...

R84GDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK230/Elegance
I have just bought this car and i must say i love it. but its having a bit of a meltdown where the ASR (i think) is concerned...

When the ASR is switched off the car drives totally fine, but when it is left on its a nightmare. once the car gets over 50ish mph the asr (judderingly) cuts the power to the engine and the warning triangle flashes as though the wheels are spinning.

with the asr off this does not happen but the car is unbearable to drive at night as the warning triangle is either constanly on or flashing wildly.

The BAS/ASR light only ever comes on with the ignition but has never come on whilst driving. so as far as the car is concerned there is nothing wrong?

its a confusing thing to me as i don't know much about the system and reading up on it has confused me even more lol

does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
What you describe suggests to me that the unit thinks the rear wheel rotation rate is different to the front. Do the tyre sizes match all round? Think you need to get it on a star machine after that to see what is really going on.

OP
R

R84GDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK230/Elegance
The tyre sizes look to be identical all round tbh. But I will have a closer look when I get a chance and let you know

OP
R

R84GDS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK230/Elegance
What you describe suggests to me that the unit thinks the rear wheel rotation rate is different to the front. Do the tyre sizes match all round? Think you need to get it on a star machine after that to see what is really going on.

after looking i've found that the tyres are all the same size and make.

've noticed today whilst driving round town that when the car is in second gear the it judders and cuts the throttle outif you don't accelerate quick quickly. its asthough the car is reacting to the torque on the wheels rather than sensing if the wheels are spinning. but i'm guessing thats not possible.

also whilst driving the car at motorway speeds with the asr off for any period of time there is a smell of burning when you stop. am i right in thinking that even with the asr switched off there is still a safety feature that applies the brakes?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom