1998 C250 TD Starting/Power Problems

Rob973

Reaction score
I’ve had my C250 TD(AUTO) (67000 miles) for over five years with no major problems.

I recently had it serviced and since have had no end of problems with it starting and running poorly.

When cold it can take up to 20 seconds of cranking to get it to start which I'm sure is not doing my starter motor any good. When it does start it doesn’t sound or perform particularly well.

When on the motorway the car will sometimes only go to around 2500 rpm (70mph). Today the car held at this and then stalled when I pulled off the motorway and gave a poof of blue smoke.

Generally there appears to be a lack of power. Having had the car for so long it is certainly not performing as well as normal.

The faults are intermittent which is hampering my local garage being able to diagnose the fault.

There appears to be some air bubbles in the fuel lines to the fuel filter. I had the glow plugs changed about 1000miles ago.

Any help would be appreciated.:(

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
The chief suspect here has got to be an air leak in the fuel lines. If the service coincided with the problems starting then I would guess that the fuel filter has been replaced and there is a bad seal on one of the connections. This should not be too difficult to rectify but it may be worth mentioning it to your mechanics. It may be a case of trying another filter.

racall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class and slk
My guess its fuel related.
Change those fuel pipe 0 Rings and the one behind the fuel shut off valve.

OP
R

Rob973

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. Ill give it a go this week.

As a note from previous threads having a full tank of fuel does appear to alleviate some of the starting problems. I can only assume that the full tank prevents some of the air getting into the system.

mstar

Reaction score
keep us informed how u get on, i assume its been serviced recently? or is about to?

OP
R

Rob973

Reaction score
Just been serviced so i have lost my rag with the garage on a number of occasions

Stevie A

Reaction score
From what I've read about some other MB diesels, the fuel can work its way back along the supply lines hence the air and the delay in starting. Is it not a small fuel shut off valve that needs replaced? Do a search on forum others have had this problem and fixed it.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
Hi

Id go for the o ring between the **** off valve and the pump body. Common problem. At the same time renew the o rings on the plastic pipes or renew the pipes completely.

Good luck

OP
R

Rob973

Reaction score
Fixed Eventually

Got p*$£ed off the problem so following the advice I got the local garage to change all the fuel pipes and fit this non return valve and hey presto it works.

Cost in parts was £30 for the pipes, £85 for the non return and about an hours labour. Not happy at the price but at least my car starts in the mornings now.

Thanks to everyone for their input to my probs. Ill try and return the favours!!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom