1998 C250 W202 Ignition problem :(

josephcarey1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220 CDI 2006 Avantgarde Estate
Hi all,

Over the last few weeks I've been having some real problems with my 1998 Mercedes C250. it's Automatic.

every morning when I put the key in the ignition (it's one of the electric type keys with an infrared sensor on the bottom and not the old type metal key)

Well when I put the key into the ignition I hear a really sort of lazy sound, like electrical whining and the key will not turn. I think something is getting stuck and jammed into position maybe so I've been having to bang under the steering wheel a few times whilst inserting the key to get the ignition to turn.

When I arrive at work the ignition is back to making its normal release and unrelase sound when the key is inserted or removed.

by 5pm and it's time to go home I have all the ignition problems again.

I've sprayed WD40 into the ignition and that hasn't helped.

Does anyone know of this problem and a way to fix it at all? how do I gain access to the ignition?

Many thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You need some help here from mark who does the ignition switch repairs,, he has posted many times on this and the way it is all OK if the switch is heated

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Sounds like you have a problem with your steering lock sticking, it's seperate from the ign switch.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do a search for "keys Mark" and his details should come up

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
You need to check if the steering lock is fully releasing, if it doesn't it will not let you turn the key thats if it is the problem.

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom