1999 e240 estate broken rear seat catch

myothercarsalexus

Reaction score
Has anyone got any advice on how to get at the nearside rear seat release catch on my 1999 w210 e240 estate. The catch has broken and the seat is in the upright locked position. What order do you dissasemble the seat trims and fittings without breaking anything.

Thanks

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Query?

Is it the handle that you use to pull up that is broken? You may be able to screw something onto it to lever it up. I will take a look at mine and see what I can find. Nearside is the larger seat which goes down second, if you put down the driver side one you may be able to see where there are screws. You need to ba careful dismantling because there are wiring items behind the body trim on the car which affect airbags [so my dealer told me!!].

As far as I know the seat trims do not disassemble.

OP
M

myothercarsalexus

Reaction score
e240 rear seat catch

The lever moves freely but it does not appear to be connected to the catch.
I suspect the connecting rod has been broken or become detached.
I have had a good look and can see no screws anywhere

help
Andy

deemac

Reaction score
I was about to post my problem when I spotted that someone else has already posted with a very similar problem, so I hope no-one minds if I join this thread.

I have an E200 estate year 2000 and can no longer fold the rear seats down. I can't see what's stopping them from getting more than about 10 degrees forward of the locking position (both parts of the split) and I've pulled out as much as I can but still can't budge them. Does anyone know how to get at whtaever holds them in place?

I've looked for a workshop manual, but the stuff I've found on ebay doesn't seem to cover my model. Are the sets of CDs claiming to cover all models worth buying? Will they tell me how to remove the seats, as I've only found one bolt under the seat cushions that appears to join the 2 halves of the split, but even with that out I cant budge the seat backs!

Thanks in advance for any help and advice anyone can offer.

Danny

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I would have a look in mine for you but Merc have the car at the moment....they took it to replace the doors.......its got three doors now because they sent the wrong ones.......old ones were cut to get the parts off.....so its parked up 100 miles away from me, probably unprotected and filling up with gunge......

Wonder what the door seals will be like when its done.....they replaced the windscreen last year and went at the aircon and buggered up the seals, a huge wind noise problem now.

There is no Haynes manual for the W210 but I will ask my dealer if they know anything about it. Seems these catches are prone to failure after a time and maybe should be replaced before they fail. I did think though you can get coins and things stuck in the bottom pivot points.

deemac

Reaction score
Thnks OlafMaxwell,

Had another go at the rear seat over the weekend, but no success. Can't see anything jamming, and I can pull the seat backs far enough forward to see the "U" shape catches are completely free (both parts of the split). I can also get my hand under and behind the seat-backs without felling any obstruction, so I'm even more baffled by what's causing this problem, and I'm completely mystified as to how the seats are meant to be removed - Mercedes appear to be obsessed by concealed fixings!!!!

Danny

OP
M

myothercarsalexus

Reaction score
Back seat still broken

Can anyone out there please help with dismantling the rear seat, would some kind member with a workshop or technical cd manual please have a look for a procedure or an exploded diagram. I have managed to get the top seat trim off but cannot remove the seat back. I'm so cheesed off I'm even considering giving it to the main dealership to fix. If only Lexus made a large estate
Thanks.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I still have not got my car back, one month later so have nothing for you.

I agree, why dont Lexus make a large estate, preferably with a big diesel engine.....

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom