2000 CLK 320 Rear Brake Noise

Shane K

Reaction score
:confused: Hello folks, I just purchased a clk 320 cabriolet last week. Yesterday I replaced the factory 16" wheels with a set of aftermarket 19" alloys. I used the correct lugs and ensured that the wheels would fit my MB before making the purchase. Immediately after swapping wheels, I noticed a horrific squealing coming from both rear brakes. The pads are brand new and the wheels are in no way rubbing on the calipers or any other part of the vehicle. The squealing/grinding noise is continuous although I've only taken it down the road and back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Shane K

hmang

Reaction score
do the wheel bolts protrude the new wheels the same amount as the old ones.
on the inside i mean

OP
S

Shane K

Reaction score
I suspect that they are the same as the log nuts are for a 32 mil offset.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The off set has nothing to do with the length of the bolts.

Place a bolt in the bolt hole, when pushed all the way in, there should be 20mm sticking out out of the rear of the wheel.

Are your original bolts 12 or 14 mm, if your car has 12mm and the new wheels are 14mm you cant use them without cone adaptors.

hmang

Reaction score
shane k
what we are suggesting is the possiblity that the bolts may be too long and going right through the hub and fouling something on the other side.

it's easy and cheap to have a quick measure up

OP
S

Shane K

Reaction score
I see what you are getting at. I measured the new lugs in the new wheels. There is about 16 mm out the back of the wheel. The factory lugs/wheels showed me an even 20mm. The new lugs appear too short. In your experience would this damage the hub?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see what you are getting at. I measured the new lugs in the new wheels. There is about 16 mm out the back of the wheel. The factory lugs/wheels showed me an even 20mm. The new lugs appear too short. In your experience would this damage the hub?

Then have a look on the insides of the wheels to see if they are fouling the callipers

OP
S

Shane K

Reaction score
The wheels are 100% free and clear of the calipers?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only thing left is to jack and turn the wheels by hand, that will show you where the problem is.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
Are the new brake pads moving freely in the calipers - sometimes the paint on the edges of the pads stops that happening, and you need to scrape it off with a wire brush or file.

OP
S

Shane K

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input. Problem solved. I originally made the horrible mistake of using the original lugs with the new wheels. I made it to the end of the driveway and realized that something was not right. The bottom line is that I've had to replace all springs for the parking brake which is where the squealing came from. A little embarising but lesson learned. Hopefully no one else makes tha same mistake.
Cheers
Shane K

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi there you could replace the old wheels whilst you've got the jack under

Kevin

ps you replies to quick for me

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom