2007 S211. Knocking noise.

James Debuse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes e320 cdi estate w211
Chaps. I'm at a loss as to where an almost continual knocking noise from my car is coming from. At first it was suggested that the noise was coming from the offside ball joint that showed signs of wear. It was changed. Noise still there. The noise happens when on uneven roads and minor bumps. At first the indi that I used changed a transmission and an engine mount that were worn. I drove off hoping that I would not hear the awful knocking sound. Gutted when it was still there. Took it to the indi again. They've driven it and can hear the noise but are still at a loss. The sway bar bushes have been changed. The knocking racket is still there. The boys at the indi I've used have actually not charged me for some of the work done as they really want to resolve the problem as its just as annoying for them. To clarify. The knocking noise is from the offside at the front of the car. It's almost continuous when on normal roads and going over the smallest of bumps. Any advice or ideas would be most welcome. TIA.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Suspension top mount?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Get it up in the air and try everything with a pry bar

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
I had a similar problem on mine I had new suspension arms and the noise was better but didn’t go away so ended up with new drop links and all is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Explain?

have you checked the rubber boots for splits. Moisture ingress, dirt leading to corrosion can give a knocking noise. It was just a thought not a conclusive answer of course.

never knew all posts needed an explanation

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
have you checked the rubber boots for splits. Moisture ingress, dirt leading to corrosion can give a knocking noise. It was just a thought not a conclusive answer of course.

never knew all posts needed an explanation

Sorry but I didn’t know what you meant

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Have they replaced the balljoint that is pressed into the camber arm that the sway bar link is attached to? These are common to be hard to pin down. If you peen the back of the balljoint with a ball pein hammer the noise will go away for a little while, but it helps you identify the cause.

Severnless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI/2007/v6
Anti roll bar bushes, Always worse on a warm day
But to replace them you have to support the engine, drop the subframe and replace the whole sway bar and subframe clamps! Great mb design!
To diagnose it, put the front end on ramps get underneath grab hold of one end of anti roll bar and give it a push and pull near the clamp end not the drop link end.
It won’t make the noise if you jack the car up as the antiroll bar will be loaded..
Hope that helps

OP
James Debuse

James Debuse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes e320 cdi estate w211
Cheers. Much appreciated. Ta

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom