2008 E320 estate - low at the back then OK when started engine

steve10

Reaction score
Hi, my S211 E320cdi has been sitting for a couple of months and was sitting unusually low at the back when empty. The arches were level with the top of the tyres. Equally low at both sides.

I put a freezer in it for a skip run and it definitely looked wrong. But when I drove it out the garage it was back to normal level.

It does not have an airmatic suspension on the dashboard, but I'm guessing it has some kind of rear self levelling set up and the gas is escaping slowly?

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Very likely that the rear airbags have perished and the rubber bladder has become porous although do the basic air line checks first the plastic pipes can chafe and leak. The compressor and levelling mech must be working ok as the car rights itself when started so my money is on the bags leaking Arnott are the popular choice for replacements

OP
S

steve10

Reaction score
Many thanks. So each side has a bag, but looks like both have gone down at the same time. Might there be a a chance it’s a central hose leak? (He says with fingers crossed).

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Many thanks. So each side has a bag, but looks like both have gone down at the same time. Might there be a a chance it’s a central hose leak? (He says with fingers crossed).
Each air spring has a solenoid valve to let air in and out and although connected together at the axle tee piece they will stay inflated even with the airline disconnected.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Very likely that the rear airbags have perished and the rubber bladder has become porous although do the basic air line checks first the plastic pipes can chafe and leak. The compressor and levelling mech must be working ok as the car rights itself when started so my money is on the bags leaking Arnott are the popular choice for replacements
THAT

OP
S

steve10

Reaction score
When they work normally does the car settle about 10mm when it’s been sitting a few days?

I’m trying to gamble on how long it might be before they collapse permanently.

Is buying a set off a breaker a false economy? I guess so as I’d like to keep the car, but I’m not looking fwd to another 4figure bill.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
When they work normally does the car settle about 10mm when it’s been sitting a few days?

I’m trying to gamble on how long it might be before they collapse permanently.

Is buying a set off a breaker a false economy? I guess so as I’d like to keep the car, but I’m not looking fwd to another 4figure bill.

I’d get on with making a decision before either the pump burns out or you get up one morning to find the car is on the bump stops and undrivable

OP
S

steve10

Reaction score
Sounds like if I load it up to the gunnels with the usual roof box and bikes it might be on the bump stops by the time I get to the Eurotunnel…

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Can u just revert to std non airbag xrap. Just more modern stuff to go wrong, pay a fortune 4!

OP
S

steve10

Reaction score
Can I convert to a standard shocks/spring set up?

OP
S

steve10

Reaction score
I found this

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - 2003-2009 Estate (W/ Rear Leveling Only) Rear Coil Spring Conversion Kit

Part Number: C-3080​

Arnott's new Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon coil spring conversion kit was exclusively designed for the 2002-2009 E-Class Avantgarde with rear air suspension only (without ADS). This kit converts the rear air springs of the vehicle to a more reliable premium coil spring suspension system. Arnott's springs feature Eibach Performance Springs which are manufactured in Germany. The Arnott kit is designed to give the E-Class Wagon a smooth yet responsive ride, comparable to the original air suspension. These aftermarket springs, along with the top and bottom mounts, fit perfectly without welding or modifying the original suspension.
This rear coil conversion kit is not for E-Class Wagons with 4-Corner air suspension (w/ADS) nor the Elegance model nor for vehicles with adaptive headlights.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Apparently £600 for the above. The labour is the big bit on a W211 as subframe has to be dropped, its very tight in there. OEM Airbags will come with new air tanks that are impossible to access without dropping subframe fully.

Aftermarket bags do away with the tank and are 20% easier to fit.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Ran my other S211 up at the weekend and the "Car too low" came up on the dash. Oddly, the poxy thing has been sitting pretty and level since!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom