2008 W221

Hardaker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDi 2008 W221
I am looking for some ideas about a 2008 W221 that I have just bought. It looks nice and had 70K on the clock. Got the dreaded M55 shut off valve problem, which I hope to have fixed early next year.
Upon entry the steering wheel moves a bit but the seat does not. I am looking for any ideas as to why the seat does not move for getting in and out.
Regarding the shut off valve (engine management light on) no trade person will do the 4K7 resistor 'trick' and, after discussing what this valve actually does I thought it best to pay the money and do the proper job. I find some garages won't do it as they can make more money doing small jobs. I have met one person who says he will do it. He has encouraged me by his approach and attitude; done this job before but not on a V6. Witney, Oxon area.
No doubt I am in the wrong thread but any advice is useful. I am learning a lot with this W221.
W108, w116, w126, w140, w220, w221, w222, w223 for me......:D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I am looking for some ideas about a 2008 W221 that I have just bought. It looks nice and had 70K on the clock. Got the dreaded M55 shut off valve problem, which I hope to have fixed early next year.
Upon entry the steering wheel moves a bit but the seat does not. I am looking for any ideas as to why the seat does not move for getting in and out.
Regarding the shut off valve (engine management light on) no trade person will do the 4K7 resistor 'trick' and, after discussing what this valve actually does I thought it best to pay the money and do the proper job. I find some garages won't do it as they can make more money doing small jobs. I have met one person who says he will do it. He has encouraged me by his approach and attitude; done this job before but not on a V6. Witney, Oxon area.
No doubt I am in the wrong thread but any advice is useful. I am learning a lot with this W221.
The 4.7k resistor is ONLY on a V6 !

OP
H

Hardaker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDi 2008 W221
Thank you for the information. I am learning. Any idea why the seat does not move when I get in? When I get out it should slide back and the steering wheel move up. The steering wheel moves a bit - not as much as my previous W220 did - but the seat does not move. Any ideas on this would be useful. Thanks.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for the information. I am learning. Any idea why the seat does not move when I get in? When I get out it should slide back and the steering wheel move up. The steering wheel moves a bit - not as much as my previous W220 did - but the seat does not move. Any ideas on this would be useful. Thanks.
I can’t help with anything S class buddy , might be a fuse or a setting ?
I see you live in Bampton , as a kid my late Dad was OIC of the Small RAF signals base there . We used to live in the White House on the right as you approach it :)

OP
H

Hardaker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDi 2008 W221
Thank you for your interest. The seat goes back and forth on the door buttons. It is just something else that does not work. The mirrors sometimes don't fold out and I have to give them a pull and try again. The nearside mirror gives a twitch when going into reverse. Age related problems. Give it a year or so and I will get the W222 that I would really like.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your interest. The seat goes back and forth on the door buttons. It is just something else that does not work. The mirrors sometimes don't fold out and I have to give them a pull and try again. The nearside mirror gives a twitch when going into reverse. Age related problems. Give it a year or so and I will get the W222 that I would really like.
The mirror issues are probably broken wires where they keep bending as they pass through the door to body gap

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
You should be able to select the "Easy Entry" mode in Comand - you have the choice between steering wheel only and wheel + seat.
The seat option will only function if the seat is not already set far back (it has to have somewhere to go ;) )

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
comfort/ease of access - designed ONLY to wear everything out so it breaks, I believe is optional on high end versions with memory seats?
and is turn-offable, as you should straight away via comand menus - alongside break my mirrors by pointlessly folding all the time

I have the wheel out to its fullest extent and have never used the pointless feature to waste time waiting to get out - its off and been off for 9 years and folded the mirrors less than 10 times in those 9 years

left door mirror twitch is another pointless feature you always wanted - but doesn't work - and needs turning off in the same comand menus.... the idea is a tilt to show the left rear wheel when you select reverse, but if you ever drive up an incline its worse than not having it

the best bit will be now its winter you'll find the left door mirror won't defrost - because merc deliberately buy the worlds nastiest heater elements for the budget passenger non dimming joke mirrors they so love to fit - and the replacements tend to die every other year

(note if people fiddled or updated certain modules the steering wheel must complete its range of electrical adjustment or it won't do the memory and won't allow adjustment on the move)

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom