2009 S550 Suspension Malfunction On and Off

Roman Pylyuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Mercedes S550
I have a 2009 Mercedes S550 AMG package and a couple months ago I would get a random pop up while driving “malfunction” and the pump would stop working. But I would come to stop and turn off the car and turn it back on and the pump would start working again. Then it started popping up more frequently until now. I start the car and it already has the “malfunction” message on and doesn’t want to start the compressor. So what would work sometimes is I would disconnect the battery and have it sit for like 3 days then I would connect it and start it and it would start working. But like always after a minute or two the message would pop up again. It gives me a faulty code:

5122:
Voltage supply
sensor: Short circuit to ground.

Statues: Current and stored.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CB7BC7D9-D83E-41A9-BA3B-14E1597B481D.jpeg
    CB7BC7D9-D83E-41A9-BA3B-14E1597B481D.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 16

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Why did you not get it fixed when it first started happening? These things rarely get better on their own.

What are you reading the code with? Not all code readers report codes correctly.

OP
Roman Pylyuk

Roman Pylyuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Mercedes S550
Just couldn’t figure out what the problem was. The computer I’m using is a SPX AUTOBOSS V-30. Sorry the picture is blurry

Attachments

• 39A6ACBC-C473-4EEC-86E3-A723177F5846.jpeg
    39A6ACBC-C473-4EEC-86E3-A723177F5846.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 15

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Just couldn’t figure out what the problem was. The computer I’m using is a SPX AUTOBOSS V-30. Sorry the picture is blurry
Icarsoft or MB’s Star diagnostics would help pin it down . What about visiting an MB independent buddy ?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I presume from the comments its got Airmatic (rather than optional ABC), if so two big faults to look for...

your car is at the right age for any of the 3 level sensors to snap off and or seize up. At this age you should just get all three replaced. Two at the front one each strut and another hidden above the park brake mechanism doing the rear of the car.

a leak and or stuck / broken off level sensor causes the pump to wear out... when I had mine air pump replaced at 50k miles, another owner was there saying he'd had 3 pumps in the 3 years and 90k miles his had done

there's actually a TIPS doc about a damaged air pipe leaking to the right rear... on a number of cars as they threaded the pipe through the car they scored the pipe and it very slowly leaks and the right rear sags... but the pump just works it socks off keeping it level and thus wears itself out

either a long term leak or a sensor issue has likely popped the fuse where its been working too hard. check the big orange 40 amp fuse under the bonnet in the front SAM

there's a test in STAR 10 bar 30 seconds.... or replace the pump.... mine was at 6 bar in 2 minutes, then spray bubble bath around the valve block to see if the pipes gone...

don't get under a car with air springs whilst playing at home you'll die

Last edited:
OP
Roman Pylyuk

Roman Pylyuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Mercedes S550
The fuse is good but I will definitely check/replace the sensors. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the Mercedes std for replacing the pump is to replace the relay too... they wear out.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
If it is actually short circuit to ground, its probably the pump, but do check the wiring, fuses and relay as others have said.

OP
Roman Pylyuk

Roman Pylyuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Mercedes S550
Ok I will check on that. Thank you

LPGJOE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 320 S class CDi
Ok I will check on that. Thank you

Hi just started having the same problem,(06 W221 320) malfunction comes up, if i press the OK button on steering wheel it goes off and stays off until i turn off engine, turn on again and malfunction light comes on again, plug in icarsoft unit comes up air leak , suspension doesn't sink so assume that air bags are ok, Went into Mercare (Plymouth) on there Star machine (£70.) to tell me the same , Air leak going back in next week to try and find what is leaking, unless someone can give me an idea where to look, Please not im not a mechanic so plain english would be appreciated

OP
Roman Pylyuk

Roman Pylyuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Mercedes S550
Yea, first thing I’m gonna order a new airmatic pump try that out and hopefully that is the problem. If that doesn’t work I’m gonna replace all 3 leveling sensors. I’ll let you know what happens

LPGJOE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 320 S class CDi
I presume from the comments its got Airmatic (rather than optional ABC), if so two big faults to look for...

your car is at the right age for any of the 3 level sensors to snap off and or seize up. At this age you should just get all three replaced. Two at the front one each strut and another hidden above the park brake mechanism doing the rear of the car.

a leak and or stuck / broken off level sensor causes the pump to wear out... when I had mine air pump replaced at 50k miles, another owner was there saying he'd had 3 pumps in the 3 years and 90k miles his had done

there's actually a TIPS doc about a damaged air pipe leaking to the right rear... on a number of cars as they threaded the pipe through the car they scored the pipe and it very slowly leaks and the right rear sags... but the pump just works it socks off keeping it level and thus wears itself out

either a long term leak or a sensor issue has likely popped the fuse where its been working too hard. check the big orange 40 amp fuse under the bonnet in the front SAM

there's a test in STAR 10 bar 30 seconds.... or replace the pump.... mine was at 6 bar in 2 minutes, then spray bubble bath around the valve block to see if the pipes gone...

don't get under a car with air springs whilst playing at home you'll die

Could you explain difference between Airmatic & ABC systems please ??

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Could you explain difference between Airmatic & ABC systems please ??
Airmatic works of compressed air provided by an electric compressor.
ABC uses hydraulic rams and an engine driven compressor that provides oil at nearly 200 bar to each strut. Suspension is provided by gas filled spheres connected in the oil system, similar to the Citroen oleo-pneumatic system used in the 60s through 90s.

LPGJOE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 320 S class CDi
Airmatic works of compressed air provided by an electric compressor.
ABC uses hydraulic rams and an engine driven compressor that provides oil at nearly 200 bar to each strut. Suspension is provided by gas filled spheres connected in the oil system, similar to the Citroen oleo-pneumatic system used in the 60s through 90s.

Thanks for that, every day is a learning day,

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
on the 221 S class with ABC it has side wind compensation.... and u can set the car so it sits level, with each corner having dedicated setup

mine with Airmatic (std air suspension, like lots of cars have these days) has a mid of its own. 3 new level sensor and 3 attempts to level it up using STAR made no difference. The front does each side and left to right, the rear is supposed to do front to back....

LPGJOE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 320 S class CDi
Thanks for ti input guys, icarsoft & star both say air leak, But how can it be a leak when car is standing on level ground for 3 / 4 days and there is NO drop on suspension, When i had the R/rover that used to drop on the corner that had the problem, going to get them to test the pump & the hight sensors, but it rides level,

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It depends where the leak is.
A fold in the bag can seal the leak when stationary but it can leak in use.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
from what I've seen the units were gone around 6 years of age on the 220, the 221 seems better with lasting 11 /13 years.

what can happen, as the air bags on each corner wear out they leak as it bounces about the road a bit, but the compressor keeps it level, when parked the bags seal up resting on the bit that wears and the leak isn't noticeable….and it appears to sit ok without a leak. But the pump knows all about it, working its sock off....

in the bad days parts were 1200 a corner plus 600 for a pump, plus 2 hours a corner to fit
as so prevalent and many others making bits now the price is much lower - ones of unknown origin come in at 200 a corner and 100 for the pump. If the cars low miles and not too rusty I guess could try changing just the air bag, I see some sell these for not much

LPGJOE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 320 S class CDi
from what I've seen the units were gone around 6 years of age on the 220, the 221 seems better with lasting 11 /13 years.

what can happen, as the air bags on each corner wear out they leak as it bounces about the road a bit, but the compressor keeps it level, when parked the bags seal up resting on the bit that wears and the leak isn't noticeable….and it appears to sit ok without a leak. But the pump knows all about it, working its sock off....

in the bad days parts were 1200 a corner plus 600 for a pump, plus 2 hours a corner to fit
as so prevalent and many others making bits now the price is much lower - ones of unknown origin come in at 200 a corner and 100 for the pump. If the cars low miles and not too rusty I guess could try changing just the air bag, I see some sell these for not much

Both body work and under car ars sound, going to an independent Merc guy on friday, It seems that i have bought a money pit, been doing nothing but pay out on this car for the last 12 mths and its still going on, Would i recomend that anyone buy a merc ? with my experience the answer would be NO !! been driving since the early 70s had countless cars / vans in that time & this must be the most unreliable vehicle ive ever had , My old R/Rover was better than this, Never know what is going to go wrong next, every tine I open the door turn on ignition somthing else happens !! Think ill drive it up on the moors and set fire to it.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom