2012 E63 AMG Bi-turbo - servicing costs and buying tips?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Adding to above, my 2014 model I had for 2 years completely trouble free, I had also opted for a service plan from main dealers which was an incredible £42 a month during a discount drive.
Warranty seems to have rocked up, Tier 1 for mine was just over £1300 a year.
As AMGeed mentions take some time 'unmapped' first, I did 8 months then got a stage 1 custom at MSL as well. The map smoothed out the power spikes and made progress fairly immediate and brutal, whilst I didn't see an MPG increase I think that was more down to 'having the power therefore i'm using it!'

OP
C

CPShines

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe 2002
Thanks for the extra info. rightly or wrongly I am getting the impression most folks only seem to hang on to these type of muscle cars for a couple of years or so. I'd be looking to have it longterm - any downsides to longterm ownership (apart from the pocket!) that I might not be taking into account? Are they tricky to keep in optimal condition without constant tinkering etc? Ideally I'd like to just take it in for a service whenever it tells me to and leave it at that.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks for the extra info. rightly or wrongly I am getting the impression most folks only seem to hang on to these type of muscle cars for a couple of years or so. I'd be looking to have it longterm - any downsides to longterm ownership (apart from the pocket!) that I might not be taking into account? Are they tricky to keep in optimal condition without constant tinkering etc? Ideally I'd like to just take it in for a service whenever it tells me to and leave it at that.
Most new and newish owners are a fickle bunch that get swayed by the latest shiny thing :rolleyes:
As long it’s well maintained no issues with long term ownership

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Although I'm not 'long term' yet, that is my plan. 1 year with my 2014 CLS 63 AMG, 14,000 trouble free miles. Still hugely enjoyable. Just carried out 60k full service, no issues seen. All fluids were as expected with no worrying colours, smells or bits of metal!
Brakes are doing ok. Pads were about 60% worn so replaced them anyway.
Brake fluid was at 2% so all changed.
Buy!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Thanks for the extra info. rightly or wrongly I am getting the impression most folks only seem to hang on to these type of muscle cars for a couple of years or so.

I had my W212 E63 for nearly 4 years, though it did however change a bit in that time. :D

Seriously though, people do tend to get bored quickly, not just with these models, with all sorts of other stuff as well. Attention span springs to mind...

I'd be looking to have it longterm - any downsides to longterm ownership (apart from the pocket!) that I might not be taking into account? Are they tricky to keep in optimal condition without constant tinkering etc? Ideally I'd like to just take it in for a service whenever it tells me to and leave it at that.

This is perfectly feasible though several of us got to the stage where it was decided to start with a few subtle modifications so the day to day stuff gets somewhat sidetracked.

I didn't alter the previous W211 E55 much, or the later W213 E63s at all, it's just that the W212 with the M157 seems to lend itself to tuning for some reason.

OP
C

CPShines

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe 2002
Thanks all, that's good to hear. Looking forward to trying one out this weekend.

OP
C

CPShines

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe 2002
Well just to update this. I gave that one a miss, and in the end my head has won out over my heart. I've let the side down and decided that the e63 is just a bit too much car, so I've put a deposit down on a used E220D instead :D Same price as the E63 but 2016 new shape, AMG premium plus, and Approved Used. It's a big step up from my old c220 coupe, although I do love that old car!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
You won’t regret buying the car the OM654 engine is brilliant and the W213 chassis a step-up from the W212 with of course the added bonus of £30 VED

OP
C

CPShines

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Coupe 2002
You won’t regret buying the car the OM654 engine is brilliant and the W213 chassis a step-up from the W212 with of course the added bonus of £30 VED
Nice one, thanks Malcolm

Top Bottom